How do I wire up eCrazyman controller to Tongxin please

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
My new eCrazyman controller arrived to replace my Tongxin one. Unfortunately there's no wiring instructions and I'm not sure how to wire it up as the colours are different to my original Tongxin one.

The battery and motor wires are the same but the others are different. (Except the eC controller battery set has an additional red thin wire, which was not present on my Tongxin. I've emailed Keywin Ge, but in the meantime I'm wondering if anyone who's made this swap knows how the wiring should go.

Here's the wiring for my Tongxin, and what's available on the eCrazyman one.

Tongxin
Battery
Red to Tongxin Controller Red
Black to Tongxin Controller Black

Motor
Blue to Tongxin Controller Blue (thick)
Green to Tongxin Controller Green (thick)
Yellow to Tongxin Controller Yellow (thick)

Tongxin Controller Plug 1
Black to Throttle Black
Red to Throttle Red
Blue to Throttle White

Tongxin Controller Plug 2
Black UNUSED
Red UNUSED
Green UNUSED

Tongxin Controller Plug 3
Black to Throttle Brown
Blue to Throttle Yellow

Tongxin Controller Plug 4
Red to Throttle Green
Black UNUSED

eCrazyman Controller

Battery
Red to eC Controller Red
Black to eC Controller Black

I don't know what the thin red eC Controller wire is for?

Motor
Blue to eC Controller Blue (thick)
Green to eC Controller Green (thick)
Yellow to eC Controller Yellow (thick)

So far so good, but I've no idea how the following 10 wires;

eC Controller Plug 1
Black
Yellow

eC Controller Plug 2
Black
Red
Green

eC Controller Plug 3
Black
Red
Yellow
Green
Blue

relate to the Black, Red, White, Brown, Yellow, Green of the Tongxin throttle.

Thanks Andy

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Andy,
This is from a quick look at my notes as I am going to be away for a few days and won't have time to look at it properly. Comments in italics

eCrazyman Controller

Battery
Red to eC Controller Red
Black to eC Controller Black
Yes

I don't know what the thin red eC Controller wire is for?
It is for a battery switch. Fit one if you like but I just connect it to the thick red one and it will work as always on

Motor
Blue to eC Controller Blue (thick)
Green to eC Controller Green (thick)
Yellow to eC Controller Yellow (thick)
Yes

So far so good, but I've no idea how the following 10 wires;

eC Controller Plug 1
Black
Yellow
Brake cut-outs - I connect black to blue and red to yellow, but it probably works the other way

eC Controller Plug 2
Black
Red
Green
pedelec sensor - I've not connected mine

eC Controller Plug 3
Black
Red
Yellow
Green
Blue
Throttle: black to black, red to red, green to white (Ec first). You don't need the others - they are for things I don't use!

That should work. If not then try connecting the throttle to the ones I said were pedelec sensor.

Failing that, mail Keywin and he should be able to explain it.

Good luck!

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Andy, Frank,

You may want to check further. I'm working from memory too but, assuming its a sensored controller...

eC2 with 3 wires sounds more like the throttle

eC3 with 5 wires sounds more like the Hall sensor connection.

Nick

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks Frank and Nick, that's a good start.

Hopefully Keywin will confirm soon.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Nick,
I can see why you would think of sensors with 5 wires, but the sensorless eC controller has that configuration!
Andy, best to do as you are and wait for Keywin to confirm, but assuming yours came with the pedelec sensor and you asked for a sensorless one (and have a sensorless motor) it shd be as I described.
The other throttle wires are, I think, to make the battery level indicators work and to enable the switch on the throttle.
Frank

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Wow, that really is designed to confuse.

In fact, as design to confuse goes, its a work of genius. The only thing left would be to use special connectors that are almost but not exactly like anything you can obtain.

Nick

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
It's not quite as bad as it sounds as most of the wires are the same colour as Tongxins.

They do use the 'obscure connector trick' - but I just cut them off in any case!

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Maybe we should start a campaign for standardisation in the industry. I suppose the BEBA could put it on their agenda? If enough OEMs and retailers demand it, the component designers are bound to follow. This is what happens in virtually every other technical industry, computer manufacturers being a prime example - particularly when it comes to basics such as power connectors etc.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
This is what happens in virtually every other technical industry, computer manufacturers being a prime example - particularly when it comes to basics such as power connectors etc.
hmm - I have worked with electronics for over 18 years and this only happened when the IBM PC technology became the dominant standard. With smaller Chinese/Japanese portable equipment (cameras, audio equipment etc) there are a myriad of different DC power connectors and also with PC accessories such as powered USB hubs, external hard drives etc

I think the obscure connectors is done deliberately as the controllers are sold (in bulk) at a lower price but the company tries to go for a long term contract and makes more money supplying the connectors and assemblies as a job lot...Or two or more companies may form a cartel to all use the same connectors and try and get the business for their group..

That said I do think if BEBA might be able to lobby the Chinese to at least say use connectors which can be commonly sourced in Great Britain, to make maintenance easier.

Perhaps we need something like Unipart / Lucas but for e-bikes?

Last edited:

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Aaarrgghh still struggling with this.

Keywins' response was to connect the eC Controller Plug 2 Black,Red, Green to the throttle Black, red, White.

I tried that to no avail. So I then tried Franks'
eC Controller Plug 3
Black
Red
Yellow
Green
Blue
Throttle: black to black, red to red, green to white. You don't need the others

I've tried both with and without
eC Controller Plug 1 (brake cut outs)
Black
Yellow

to Throttle switch Brown, Yellow wires

just in case that might help.

I've tested the continuity of wires from controller side of connectors to where wires end inside throttle. And continuity of wires from controller side of connectors to motor connector down by the wheel. The battery is still showing a touch over 39V.

Not sure what to do next. Assuming the new controller is fine, battery is fine and wiring continuity OK. I can only think that either there is something wrong with the throttle itself or the motor. But I don't know how to test these.

Any ideas for next thing to try much appreciated.
Andy

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
You can test the continuity of the motor windings with a multi meter, you should get a low but not zero Ohms between all combinations of two motor wires. The values should all be similar. Look for values of around 0.5 to 1.5 ohm.
Disconnect the throttle before testing if your using test probes on your multimeter.
To test a Hall effect devise such as a throttle, connect a small battery to the red and black / positive and negative device wires measure the voltage between the signal cable and either the positive or the negative. As the throttle is turned the voltage should vary between about 1v and the battery voltage, this works on motor hall sensors to, just connect up the battery and meter , then with that 4th hand turn the wheel.

From your original post it seems your throttle has 6 wires. I'm guessing here but it sounds like positive, negative, two switch wires, ( a feed and return ), one throttle signal wire and a voltage feed for the battery leds. So connect up the battery and meter, the wire that has the voltage that varies as you turn the throttle is the one you want.

If you only have test probes on your meter you may need to spend a month eating Chinese take-aways with chopsticks to get the hang of holding, probing and turning all at the same time.

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks Andrew, I'll give that a try and start practising with the chopsticks.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Andrew

I've pmed you about your experience with the new Bafang motor - I share your admiration for the effort that's gone into the external detailing and am keen to learn if you've had the opportunity to see what it is like in operation!

Thanks Andrew, I'll give that a try and start practising with the chopsticks.
Hello Andyh2,

please make a photo from your Controller with all connectors and most time i can tell you how to connect the crazyman Controller on different Motor brands:
Bafang, Tongxin, nineContinent, Puma, Weifeng, FWF and other Motors because i sell maybe more than 1000 different ecrazyman-controllers in this year.

regards
frank

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks Frank, that's much appreciated. I've sent you a private message with notes and photo link.

Andrew Harvey advised;
“You can test the continuity of the motor windings with a multi meter, you should get a low, but not zero, Ohms between all combinations of two motor wires. The values should all be similar. Look for values of around 0.5 to 1.5 ohm.”

I did these checks and all 3 combinations of 2 of the 3 motor connections gave a reading of 0.9 Ohms which seems to be within Andrews’ suggested range.

Andrew Harvey also advised;
“To test a Hall effect device such as a throttle, connect a small battery to the red and black / positive and negative device wires measure the voltage between the signal cable and either the positive or the negative. As the throttle is turned the voltage should vary between about 1v and the battery voltage.”

I used a 4.5V battery to conduct the suggested throttle test. I got a result of 3.68V throttle closed varying to 0.75V throttle full open.

I would have expected the throttle readings to be the opposite way round ie low voltage when throttle closed and high voltage when throttle open. I wonder does it make a difference if I measure the difference between the signal and positive or signal and negative?

Also my reading did not reach as high as the battery voltage ie highest voltage of 3.68V from a 4.5V battery. Is this significant in anyway?

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Hi Frank !
Welcome to the forum ;)
Best of luck with the move to China !
Regards, Daniel

Hello Andyh2,

please make a photo from your Controller with all connectors and most time i can tell you how to connect the crazyman Controller on different Motor brands:
Bafang, Tongxin, nineContinent, Puma, Weifeng, FWF and other Motors because i sell maybe more than 1000 different ecrazyman-controllers in this year.

regards
frank

Last edited:

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
I would have expected the throttle readings to be the opposite way round ie low voltage when throttle closed and high voltage when throttle open. I wonder does it make a difference if I measure the difference between the signal and positive or signal and negative?

Also my reading did not reach as high as the battery voltage ie highest voltage of 3.68V from a 4.5V battery. Is this significant in anyway?
Some throttles work in the opposite sense to others, high for high and low for low, most that I've used go high for low power and low for high. You soon find out if you've got the right type when the motor runs at full speed when the throttle is shut and stops when you twist it.

The voltage you read on the sensor wire does not normally reach the supply limits.

This test proves the throttle works, but more importantly tells you which of the cables is the signal wire for the speed control.

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
Thanks Andrew, that's really helpful. I may not understand how everything works, but at least those test instructions let me check that the motor and throttle are working so the problem is elsewhere.

I've sent photos to Frank and Keywin so hopefully I'll get guidance for the next step soon.

hi daniel, jerry , paul and everybody,

thanks for wishes to me

To live in china is not a big deal only the food i dont like but McDonald and Kfc is not far away so i can survive there :)
and the other things:
bad air , to much people , always trafic in the street, strange police rules,.... better dont think about otherwise you never do the move:rolleyes:

regards
frank