How to add a throttle to a Carrera Vengeance E Spec

Mozomu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 30, 2018
I have a carrera vulcan-e and would like to add a thumb throttle to it. Just recently had the controller replaced and took a photo of it. The black connector (4 wires) actually has nothing attached to it.

I am guessing here, but I think that connector is there for a throttle to be attached to it. I have also seen on this thread that Lazylegs are selling a throttle kit for the vulcan and I can't see what else the throttle in their kit is going to be connected to.

Anyone with some experience of adding a throttle to a carrera vulcan/crossfire controller, please let me know if that is how it's done?

If it is as simple as that, I see that I am probably going to have changed the connectors on the throttle and controller, so they can match.

upload_2018-11-30_20-35-23.png

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I have a carrera vulcan-e and would like to add a thumb throttle to it. Just recently had the controller replaced and took a photo of it. The black connector (4 wires) actually has nothing attached to it.

I am guessing here, but I think that connector is there for a throttle to be attached to it. I have also seen on this thread that Lazylegs are selling a throttle kit for the vulcan and I can't see what else the throttle in their kit is going to be connected to.

Anyone with some experience of adding a throttle to a carrera vulcan/crossfire controller, please let me know if that is how it's done?

If it is as simple as that, I see that I am probably going to have changed the connectors on the throttle and controller, so they can match.

View attachment 27998
Wrong, throttle is 3 wire, this could be some programming lead or perhaps more likely an output for lights as suntour has that option. This kit works by tricking the pedal sensor signal so it will plug between the two connectors for that I'd imagine. I got tired with the limiter replaced the controller and pas with a common Chinese one with throttle, achievable if you know how to crimp terminals to match, and the bike is heaps of fun now

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some throttles have 4 or more wires as well, a twist throttle may have a small lcd voltage screen. More wires are then required some also have a lock as well, wiring may also be for a permanent v+ supply and a switch supply.

Though as pointed out most simple thumb type throttles only use a 3 wire set up.

Mozomu

Nov 30, 2018
1543594325534e.jpeg
The throttle that I have ordered has 4 wires (1 for the LCD). It's still a guess as to whether the black connector is actually there for a throttle, but if it's not I will experiment with splitting the white PAS connector to take both the throttle (without the LCD) and the PAS. But if that confuses the controller, I will then try to connect the throttle on its own to the PAS connector and then try using it as a manually controlled PAS along with my pedalling.

It will be another 6 months before my warranty runs and I get started on messing about with it, but from reading this forum and another forum it's nice to see that adding a throttle on the Vulcan-E is possible. It's just going to be a bit of trial and error, ... or a full upgrade instead on my ebike later when my mortgage has been cleared. :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looking at the connector there is no way of knowing what it is for.
If it was a throttle connector white is the signal wire , black is gnd, one red will be a switched live or show 4 - 5v and the other permanent for battery voltage .
A check with meter will tell you if one is showing battery voltage.

Mozomu

Nov 30, 2018
Looking at the connector there is no way of knowing what it is for.
If it was a throttle connector white is the signal wire , black is gnd, one red will be a switched live or show 4 - 5v and the other permanent for battery voltage .
A check with meter will tell you if one is showing battery voltage.
Thanks for that. When I get the kit, I will out the meter first.

Mozomu

Nov 30, 2018
I've actually decided not to mess around with the Vulcan-E. That spare connector (4 wires) on the controller is very likely not there for a throttle, but to access the controller for programing instead. Too risky. I have pulled the wallet and bought a conversion mid drive kit instead for an old bike, which allows a lot more control over its settings and liberty when I want to use it on private land. Still keeping the Vulcan-E as a backup spare.

Michael Love

Pedelecer
Aug 26, 2018
I know this is an old thread, but website is toast. I am interested in any pulse counts/ widths etc that anyone may wish to share from the torque sensor when it provides full output to controller. Was thinking of supplying signal wire with just this full output all the time, and having cadence sensor only. This may even act as a throttle input via microcontroller (12c509) instead of the board mentioned earlier.
It might be possible to modify this design, or use an equivalent with a a/d converter input/ output depending on what the throttle provides or what the controller wants from the torque sensor. Also maybe remove the FET's and divide any pulse output to match the range of the torque sensor.
The only reason I would be using these is I have loads of them and a programming board that I have not used in years.

It is quite difficult to pedal my new carerra-e 2019 version in my condition, and I do really want to keep this one.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is a technical issue with simulating the torque output with a throttle, you need to have a kill switch in case the throttle is mechanically jammed.

You would need a throttle with a switch like this:

On design, you only need to replace the SYNC signal with an 18Hz clock when the throttle is active. The throttle output can directly replace the torque signal. No real need for a PIC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jonathan Evans

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Halfrauds, Suntour are only OEM so you need to deal with a dealer.

Allan._devine

Just Joined
Jun 13, 2020
Wrong, throttle is 3 wire, this could be some programming lead or perhaps more likely an output for lights as suntour has that option. This kit works by tricking the pedal sensor signal so it will plug between the two connectors for that I'd imagine. I got tired with the limiter replaced the controller and pas with a common Chinese one with throttle, achievable if you know how to crimp terminals to match, and the bike is heaps of fun now
Hi, trying to help someone(my postie) with a Carerra Vengance E that wants to deresrict - any pointers?

Advertisers