How to add a throttle to a Carrera Vengeance E Spec

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
You are correct, we are altering the pulse rate depending on your speed required, so half speed.. half throttle.
Thanks for your reply.

So, just to confirm, does the standard (unmodified) PAS behavior on the Carrera Vengeance vary the motor power with pedal cadence?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Will this (or any other kit you are working on) derestrict the Crossfire-e ? I'm not interested in using a throttle but would like to get another 3-4 mph top speed. If you could do that, then you would sell hundreds of them

Reactions: khan1221

CdRsKuLL

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Bolton
lazylegs.co.uk
Thanks for your reply.

So, just to confirm, does the standard (unmodified) PAS behavior on the Carrera Vengeance vary the motor power with pedal cadence?
Yes, I think it does. It all depends on how fast you pedal it seems. I'm outputting pulses from 600ms to 40ms which seems to cover the full range.. The Vulcan / Crossfire will require a double pulse which will be slightly faster due to the opto(s) vs hall sensor arrangement.

Steve

CdRsKuLL

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Bolton
lazylegs.co.uk
Will this (or any other kit you are working on) derestrict the Crossfire-e ? I'm not interested in using a throttle but would like to get another 3-4 mph top speed. If you could do that, then you would sell hundreds of them
At the moment it does not derestrict it, this is because of the direct drive which will either require something to sit in between the motor wires OR developing a different replacement controller, which may be a possibility. (derestrict/throttle) but that's a bit in the future at the moment.

Thanks,

Steve

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Yes, I think it does. It all depends on how fast you pedal it seems. I'm outputting pulses from 600ms to 40ms which seems to cover the full range.. The Vulcan / Crossfire will require a double pulse which will be slightly faster due to the opto(s) vs hall sensor arrangement.

Steve
Okaaaaay, that makes way more sense. I assumed that it was a standard cadence PAS behaviour where the pedal cadence does not affect the motor output and couldn't figure out the mechanism you were using to send a variable signal to the controller.

Double kudos to you in that case and the best of luck for the project in the future.

Reactions: CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Bolton
lazylegs.co.uk
Where does the kit plug into, the controller?
Evening,

The kit once released will plug in between the PAS sensor on the bottom bracket and the controller. It will come with matching 3 pin plugs to make it very easy to fit. The hardest thing will be removing one of the grips to slide the throttle on. :)

Thanks,

Steve

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hi, any eta for this yet? My legs are playing up lately, been attacking some monster climbs

CdRsKuLL

Pedelecer
May 13, 2018
Bolton
lazylegs.co.uk
Hiya, We have 5 'beta' versions that will be ready next week. Been struggling to get hold of the right throttles currently. The beta versions can be swapped out later if required for free. It's just the throttle what will be different.

Which bike is it for?

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
Hiya, We have 5 'beta' versions that will be ready next week. Been struggling to get hold of the right throttles currently. The beta versions can be swapped out later if required for free. It's just the throttle what will be different.

Which bike is it for?
Hi it's for the vulcan. What will the price be?

Gaurav Suri

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2018

Which bike is it for?
Crossfire??

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
At the moment it does not derestrict it, this is because of the direct drive which will either require something to sit in between the motor wires OR developing a different replacement controller, which may be a possibility. (derestrict/throttle) but that's a bit in the future at the moment.

Thanks,

Steve
A thought has just occurred to me. We don't need a new controller as there are loads to choose from already. However i cannot find one with a motor connector the same as the suntour one. If you could help me make an adapter to the more common types of connection then in theory I could use a standard controller to beat the limitation on the hub. Only downfall is losing the torque system but I prefer regular pas anyway

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Needtogofaster

Aug 6, 2018
North west
A thought has just occurred to me. We don't need a new controller as there are loads to choose from already. However i cannot find one with a motor connector the same as the suntour one. If you could help me make an adapter to the more common types of connection then in theory I could use a standard controller to beat the limitation on the hub. Only downfall is losing the torque system but I prefer regular pas anyway
Is this the one you mean with the pins pins on both ends15337331726984927282243981371570.jpg 15337332078188711327454414112905.jpg 15337332078188711327454414112905.jpg

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
I have another question. Does this throttle push the Vulcan to its full assisted speed? (Around 17mph). What's the torque like up mild hills, without peddling does it maintain a good speed? Obviously steeper hills need effort but trying to work out if it's will make it more like my old bike, which was very much a good bike for lazy people

William Norton

Aug 4, 2018
I have another question. Does this throttle push the Vulcan to its full assisted speed? (Around 17mph). What's the torque like up mild hills, without peddling does it maintain a good speed? Obviously steeper hills need effort but trying to work out if it's will make it more like my old bike, which was very much a good bike for lazy people
Hi I have tried to contact lazylegs but unfortunately have had no reply
I have The Carrera Vulcan although it’s a nice bike the pedal assist cuts out at 15.5 mph which becomes a bit frustrating I was hoping that the throttle would give it a bit more kick but when I have been on lazylegs web page it states the throttle is currently out of stock
Maybe someone on here could shed a little light on the subject as iam considering replacing the Vulcan with something that can achieve 20 + mph ( off road of course)

Advertisers