How to convert a bicycle to an E-bike?

coolio2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 4, 2023
Hello forum peoples :),
So I’m not too knowledgeable on bikes but really want to convert my bike (attached) into an E-bike. Not sure the best way to go about this - advice on where to start, what to look out out for, recommendations on where to get a battery/conversion kit/whatever is best would be very welcome.

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
your bike is straightforward to convert.
You can have front motor, bottom bracket motor or rear motor. The choice depends on a number of factors.
- how handy with bikes are you? can you remove the bottom bracket for example? If you can, then you will be OK with fitting.
- how many miles you want to cover with a full battery?
- would you say your riding style is sporty or sedate?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Don't fit a front motor. A rear motor is best for commuting and general riding around. They're extremely reliable and dependable, plus they don't cost much to buy nor run. It's quite important to choose the right motor for what you need. I can't advise without you telling us your weight, what sort of rides you expect to do, how fast you want to go, what sort of hills you have, how hard you want to pedal and things like that.

coolio2000

May 4, 2023
Don't fit a front motor. A rear motor is best for commuting and general riding around. They're extremely reliable and dependable, plus they don't cost much to buy nor run. It's quite important to choose the right motor for what you need. I can't advise without you telling us your weight, what sort of rides you expect to do, how fast you want to go, what sort of hills you have, how hard you want to pedal and things like that.
thanks both!
So it would just be for everyday commuting I’ll list some of the criteria I’d ideally want the bike to fit into (please let me know if anything I say in unrealistic/not worth the price)

- my weight is 76kg
- It would be for daily commuting, max distance of an hour. So a battery life of about an hour would be great (not sure what the average battery life is?)
- Id like to go 20mph as a top speed
- I live in London and it’s mostly flat - some hills here and there. (Not sure what normally happens if an e-bike that isn’t purpose built for hills was to go up one?)
- in terms of pedalling, not sure the best way to measure how hard I pedal. But I use gears 3 and 6 so maybe a little bit less than that.
- and I’m not too handy with bikes but willing to learn where I need to!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
based on your list of requirements and bike, I would suggest a rear geared hub kit, XF08C with 17AH downtube battery, inline brake sensor, seat post type pedal sensor.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-177-xf08c-17ah/xf08c-rear-hub-kit-with-17ah-battery

The 17AH battery gives you a range of about 60 miles on a full charge. Other battery options: 10AH, 13AH, 15AH and 20AH are also available.
Brake sensors are only needed if you want to fit a throttle. As your bike has integrated brake and gear levers, you need the inline version of brake sensors:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-248-inline-brakesensor-option/inline-brake-sensors-option-for-hub-kits
If you don't need the throttle, you can simplify the wiring quite a lot, it's called LCD only option and it saves you £15 on uneeded components. For London, the hills are never long enough to need a throttle so I recommend the LCD only option. You can add the throttle at a later stage if you want.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-249-display-only/display-only-option-for-hub-kits
I recommend the seat post type pedal sensor for those who can't remove the bottom bracket of their bike. The pedal sensor comes as two parts, the sensor itself is stuck to the seat post with double sided adhesive pads and secured with cabletie. The magnet ring is supplied as two horseshoe segments, they can be stuck to the chainring with3M sticky pads.
Email kits@wooshbikes.co.uk if you have any question.
You can download the installation guide here:
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/manuals/HubKit-Manual-for-HL-and-G30-160322.pdf

Reactions: Zebb

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Just out of interest why don't you like front hub motor. I have both front and rear types. I like them both but the converted front hub bike is more 'lively' - the new rear hub bike more sedate. How much that is related to motor position is almost impossible to determine because they differ in so many other ways. Maybe it's 'horses for courses' - [coolio2000] try out as many different arrangements on bikes similar to your own to find your preference.

Reactions: StuartsProjects

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I had little option but to use a front hub with my Roadrat as I wanted to use the alfine8 I had on the rear, for my local commute and errand running alll mainly on flatish terrain . I have had a few rear motors for longer runs and range but this imv is the best motor I have used yet a Bafang 1.6kg G370.
No torque arms can be fitted with the G370 so one needs proper decent steel forks, the motor axle is 10m dia except for the tiny flats at the drop , one can fit one AR washer on the RHS but not on the LHS as the motor cable exits at that point.
The Surly disc trucker fork is ideal and a perfect snug drop out fit.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just out of interest why don't you like front hub motor. I have both front and rear types. I like them both but the converted front hub bike is more 'lively' - the new rear hub bike more sedate. How much that is related to motor position is almost impossible to determine because they differ in so many other ways. Maybe it's 'horses for courses' - [coolio2000] try out as many different arrangements on bikes similar to your own to find your preference.
You can use a front motor if you have forks designed for or capable of holding one. Most forks, including OP's are not. When a drop-outs cracks and breaks off, it can be extremely dangerous because you go straight over the handlebars. I've see that happen right in front of me. There are many types of front forks. Some are better than others. Steel is best because it doesn't suffer from metal fatigue. Lightweight aluminium forks are a definite no.

Apart from that, front motors are always noisier for the rider; they lack traction for steep hills, especially if you ride on trails; the unsprung mass stops your suspension from working properly; and the increased mass increases the gyroscopic affect that can give weird steering on some bikes, especially bikes with road- bike forks.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My front hub motor bike, a Brompton, works just fine.
I've put front motors in Bromptons too, and in many other bikes. Steel forks, 16" wheel and long wheelbase is the exact opposite of OP's bike. Please don't confuse OP and compromise their safety with irrelevant facts.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
thanks both!
So it would just be for everyday commuting I’ll list some of the criteria I’d ideally want the bike to fit into (please let me know if anything I say in unrealistic/not worth the price)

- my weight is 76kg
- It would be for daily commuting, max distance of an hour. So a battery life of about an hour would be great (not sure what the average battery life is?)
- Id like to go 20mph as a top speed
- I live in London and it’s mostly flat - some hills here and there. (Not sure what normally happens if an e-bike that isn’t purpose built for hills was to go up one?)
- in terms of pedalling, not sure the best way to measure how hard I pedal. But I use gears 3 and 6 so maybe a little bit less than that.
- and I’m not too handy with bikes but willing to learn where I need to!
That means in principle you can use any kit. The normal 36v 15 amp ones would give you enough power. The 20 mph complicates things a little since most kits are designed for 15.5 mph, which is the legal limit.

Some kits fix the max speed to 15.5 mph so that you can't change it. You must check before buying whether that's the case.

Next, you need to understand how motors work. There's a max speed any motor spins to at any voltage. If you increase the voltage, it will spin faster. A motor that can spin 200 rpm at 36v will spin to 260 rpm at 48v. A motor makes max power at 75% of its max speed, after which the power ramps down to zero, so no power at max rpm.

15 mph is about 200 rpm with a 26" wheel, so if you want a modal speed of 15 mph, you need a 260 rpm motor, and if you want a modal speed of 20 mph, 330 rpm. You can get the 330 rpm by running a 36v 260 rpm one at 48v.

Now bear in mind that a 36v battery is 42v when full and 32v when empty. That also affects the motor speed, so if you only do short journeys and your battery is nearly always full, you can get about 10% extra speed.

What it all comes down to is how important that 20 mph is. Let's say you got an ordinary 36v kit. Normally the motor is 260 rpm for 15 mph cruising. If unrestricted, it has some power above 15 mph. With a full battery, 20mph would be achievable with medium pedalling, but not with an empty battery.

The problem is that many sellers of kits don't tell you the rpm of their motors.

When you buy a mid drive kit, none of this matters because you use the gears to get whatever speed you have power for. Instead, the speed of the motor needs to match your pedalling speed. If you pedal too fast or too slow compared with the motor's speed, you can't get the power you want, and it can affect the motor's efficiency when you pedal at the wrong speed, so choosing the right one is important unless you can pedal at any speed comfortably. The downside to a mid drive is that you have to do a lot more gear changing to keep the motor turning at a suitable speed, which is not so relaxing as a hub-motor, and it can be downright annoying in winter with frozen fingers. Also, reliability is not so good. You nearly always need to open up the motor from time to time to service or repair it, especially if you use it in all weathers. Lastly, the power goes through the chain, which causes extra wear on the drive train, so a bit more expense and maintenance. None of those things are a big deal, but the next is something to think about. In heavy traffic with derailleur type gears like yours, when you forced to stop suddenly in the wrong gear, not only is it more difficult to start up again, but you can do some serious damage to the gears. That's not a problem for country riding, but it's going to be annoying in heavy London traffic. When you have a hub-motor, it'll bail you out until you get enough speed to start pedalling an shift gears comfortably.

coolio2000

May 4, 2023
Thanks for the info,

I should mention that my budget is £350 - is this way to unrealistic?

I’m willing to sacrifice things like mileage as realistic I won’t need more then 10 miles coverage ,
Also it would be sooo helpful if someone could make a list that clearly lets me know each component I need and the purpose it fulfils (of it isn’t obvious)

thanks again guys

coolio2000

May 4, 2023
That means in principle you can use any kit. The normal 36v 15 amp ones would give you enough power. The 20 mph complicates things a little since most kits are designed for 15.5 mph, which is the legal limit.

Some kits fix the max speed to 15.5 mph so that you can't change it. You must check before buying whether that's the case.

Next, you need to understand how motors work. There's a max speed any motor spins to at any voltage. If you increase the voltage, it will spin faster. A motor that can spin 200 rpm at 36v will spin to 260 rpm at 48v. A motor makes max power at 75% of its max speed, after which the power ramps down to zero, so no power at max rpm.

15 mph is about 200 rpm with a 26" wheel, so if you want a modal speed of 15 mph, you need a 260 rpm motor, and if you want a modal speed of 20 mph, 330 rpm. You can get the 330 rpm by running a 36v 260 rpm one at 48v.

Now bear in mind that a 36v battery is 42v when full and 32v when empty. That also affects the motor speed, so if you only do short journeys and your battery is nearly always full, you can get about 10% extra speed.

What it all comes down to is how important that 20 mph is. Let's say you got an ordinary 36v kit. Normally the motor is 260 rpm for 15 mph cruising. If unrestricted, it has some power above 15 mph. With a full battery, 20mph would be achievable with medium pedalling, but not with an empty battery.

The problem is that many sellers of kits don't tell you the rpm of their motors.

When you buy a mid drive kit, none of this matters because you use the gears to get whatever speed you have power for. Instead, the speed of the motor needs to match your pedalling speed. If you pedal too fast or too slow compared with the motor's speed, you can't get the power you want, and it can affect the motor's efficiency when you pedal at the wrong speed, so choosing the right one is important unless you can pedal at any speed comfortably. The downside to a mid drive is that you have to do a lot more gear changing to keep the motor turning at a suitable speed, which is not so relaxing as a hub-motor, and it can be downright annoying in winter with frozen fingers. Also, reliability is not so good. You nearly always need to open up the motor from time to time to service or repair it, especially if you use it in all weathers. Lastly, the power goes through the chain, which causes extra wear on the drive train, so a bit more expense and maintenance. None of those things are a big deal, but the next is something to think about. In heavy traffic with derailleur type gears like yours, when you forced to stop suddenly in the wrong gear, not only is it more difficult to start up again, but you can do some serious damage to the gears. That's not a problem for country riding, but it's going to be annoying in heavy London traffic. When you have a hub-motor, it'll bail you out until you get enough speed to start pedalling an shift gears comfortably.
That’s very helpful so to my understanding, running a 36v at essential max battery has the potential to make 42v which will equal 20mph. The 20mph isn’t a fixed requirement for me, but would be a nice option, the mid drive kit doesn’t seem to suited to London, so a 36v battery makes the most sense.

what is the typical price of this would you say? And do you have any recommendations on where to get one that is unrestricted - that has the potential to reach 20mph?

What other bits will I need when converting, and I’m not so knowledgeable on bikes as I said before happy to learn how to convert myself but is it difficult or pretty straightforward?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As d8ve has said and I alluded to in my post, before fititng a front hub one has to think about the torque and fatigue the metal /alloy will suffer.
Tbh any fork needs to be specicfic nice steel model that will be more forgiving.

Most of us know this because we have already tried a alloy suspension fork and all will have likely suffered a drop out failure.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
every system is a compromise. It's just a matter for you to choose what suits you best. Front hub has less traction because there is less weight put on it so can be twitchy on wet surfaces. Rear hub tends to break spokes because there is much more power and weight put on it, the stress on the rear spokes is therefore much higher. Middle motor has higher and more flexible torque but is weaker in water proofing because the motor gets much more sprays but does not break spokes. Don't overthink the 20mph as a special feature. Practically all modern hub kits can go faster than that if derestricted. A typical bottom bracket motor can sustain 28mph on the flat. A kit is only road legal if it is sold and labelled as 250W. The real maximum power can be much more than that. Typically, controllers can use up to about 15A-17A for popular kits. As power = battery voltage * Amps * efrficiency, you can easily use 800W with a 48V kit.
Kits are delivered limited to 15mph but they are generally not locked.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Front hubs of the past were quite pokey/powerful ones and often resulted in the twitchy steering/torque steering and wheel slip, however today lighter/smaller hubs have removed most if not all of those concerns yet stiil give quite good performance.
Albeit they may not be suitable for very hilly areas.

vidtek

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2015
Bournemouth BH12
As you are not conversant with bike repairs, I would recommend a rear hub. One thing that others on here seem unconcerned about is the safety features of having a throttle.
I wouldn't dream of riding about in London, but with derrailler gears and no throttle - a recipe for disaster.
A throttle gives you the ability to set off from lights without wobbling all over the place, and if you get stuck in a high gear it will save your bacon.
If you take nothing else from this forum's advice, take this tidbit, it may even save your life.

simonbarnett

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 26, 2007
West Hampstead, NW London
Front hubs of the past were quite pokey/powerful ones and often resulted in the twitchy steering/torque steering and wheel slip, however today lighter/smaller hubs have removed most if not all of those concerns yet stiil give quite good performance.
Albeit they may not be suitable for very hilly areas.
Not relevant to the OP but an advantage of a front hub is you can have hub gears if that’s your thing rather than derailleur.

Reactions: vidtek