How to find a trustworthy bike shop if…

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
In the same way as Wispers 806 is available with a Cadence Sensor or a Torque Sensor, Fiido's D11 is the Cadence version and D21 the Torque.
You are my guru on the Fiidos, have you had a chance to compare them/do you know of someone who has and if so is there a noticeable difference?

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
not if you pick it up and run away with it you wont gurney had his bosch bike nicked from out side his house as they followed him home and then got the bike off the drive and the guy held on to it from the back seat from a car with the window down to get away pmsl tho was insured and got paid out.

never found the bike tho.
So I should just look for poorly locked bikes on the streets of Glasgow:p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
So I should just look for poorly locked bikes on the streets of Glasgow:p
Upload photos of any bikes you intend to steal for our experts to look at.

• :D
Reactions: Sylvs

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id recommend locking the bike up at a newly fixed home crack head d75

well he has a postal address :p

• :D
Reactions: Sylvs

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
not if you pick it up and run away with it you wont gurney had his bosch bike nicked from out side his house as they followed him home and then got the bike off the drive and the guy held on to it from the back seat from a car with the window down to get away pmsl tho was insured and got paid out.

never found the bike tho.
Probably sent off somewhere in a shipping container

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
been doing that for years you brick up a super car and remove the carbon disc brakes easy 20k also lights on these things can cost 10k plus each.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...have you had a chance to compare them/do you know of someone who has and if so is there a noticeable difference?
The D21 wasn't yet available when I bought my D11. I do have a full-size Torque sensor e-bike though which I use for longer weekend rides.

Like David (Mr Wisper) said above, Cadence offers an easier ride needing less effort, especially on a commute when you need to get somewhere without breaking a sweat (my commute is an 8 mile cycle each way, once or twice a week, using trains). Had the D21 been available, I'd still buy the D11 for a commute.

There are a handful of D21 owners here on the forum too, some being used for commuting; I'm not sure if any managed a direct comparison though.

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
The D21 wasn't yet available when I bought my D11. I do have a full-size Torque sensor e-bike though which I use for longer weekend rides.

Like David (Mr Wisper) said above, Cadence offers an easier ride needing less effort, especially on a commute when you need to get somewhere without breaking a sweat (my commute is an 8 mile cycle each way, once or twice a week, using trains). Had the D21 been available, I'd still buy the D11 for a commute.

There are a handful of D21 owners here on the forum too, some being used for commuting; I'm not sure if any managed a direct comparison though.
I used to cycle my cyclocross everywhere a couple of years back, including daily commute (different city, flatter terrain, shorter commute). Would the 11 be decent enough outside of commuting?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;)

if you go round the race track its a 60mph speed limit with speed bumps made from horse crap ram rovers kill :p

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
;)

if you go round the race track its a 60mph speed limit with speed bumps made from horse crap ram rovers kill :p
Only on private land and with landlord’s permission
Also, is he trying to do human tenpin bowling?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i never past my bike test cant do it pissed :p

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I used to cycle my cyclocross everywhere a couple of years back, including daily commute (different city, flatter terrain, shorter commute). Would the 11 be decent enough outside of commuting?
I use my other e-bikes for touring because I have them, and larger wheels lend better to that kind of distance/terrain. Saying that, I most often use the D11 around town because it's eminently more "chuckable" than a full-sized bike, and I've done some "drive to a new destination, park on the outskirts, and cycle to the beach/park/explore a city" type of rides with it. Here I did a park-up and took a 15 mile ride to/over National Trust land for a picnic:

NT Picnic Small.jpg

Given your prior cycling experience/strength though, maybe you'd find the 21/Torque version more natural? I can't judge!

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
I use my other e-bikes for touring because I have them, and larger wheels lend better to that kind of distance/terrain. Saying that, I most often use the D11 around town because it's eminently more "chuckable" than a full-sized bike, and I've done some "drive to a new destination, park on the outskirts, and cycle to the beach/park/explore a city" type of rides with it. Here I did a park-up and took a 15 mile ride to/over National Trust land for a picnic:

View attachment 51335

Given your prior cycling experience/strength though, maybe you'd find the 21/Torque version more natural? I can't judge!
i erroneously thought torque is the “easier” version :rolleyes:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Overkill or a more „sensible “ upgrade over D21?
It's not my cup of tea. The logical development of the D11 was to add a true Torque sensor; that gave us the D21. The X (or D31 as Fiido have sometimes referred to it) was a further/later development still; a lighter-weight cast magnesium frame, Torque sensor, hydraulic brakes, novel electronic battery/bike lock.

In the event, the X/D31 weighs 2.3kg MORE, not less as intended. The electronic keypad and lockable battery post are IMHO a longer term liability (unnecessary complication). It does add better hydraulic rather than mechanical disc brakes too but also adds £250 cost.

For clarity: D11 Cadence you just need to turn the pedals for assist; you can choose to put in more or less effort. The D21/D31 Torque determines assist based on how much pressure you actually put into the pedals: Some see that as a more natural cycling experience.

What rides beyond your commute were you intending to use the bike for?

All these Fiidos have a 417Wh battery, and that gets (heavy/unfit) me 35+ miles easily without being frugal. Wisper's 806 has the options of 375, 575, or a massive 700Wh if you need that longer range/distance.

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
It's not my cup of tea. The logical development of the D11 was to add a true Torque sensor; that gave us the D21. The X (or D31 as Fiido have sometimes referred to it) was a further/later development still; a lighter-weight cast magnesium frame, Torque sensor, hydraulic brakes, novel electronic battery/bike lock.

In the event, the X/D31 weighs 2.3kg MORE, not less as intended. The electronic keypad and lockable battery post are IMHO a longer term liability (unnecessary complication). It does add better hydraulic rather than mechanical disc brakes too but also adds £250 cost.

For clarity: D11 Cadence you just need to turn the pedals for assist; you can choose to put in more or less effort. The D21/D31 Torque determines assist based on how much pressure you actually put into the pedals: Some see that as a more natural cycling experience.

What rides beyond your commute were you intending to use the bike for?

All these Fiidos have a 417Wh battery, and that gets (heavy/unfit) me 35+ miles easily without being frugal. Wisper's 806 has the options of 375, 575, or a massive 700Wh if you need that longer range/distance.
I have lovely countryside spots near where I live so wanted to use it there too, some inclines. Wispers ain’t light and if I needed to cycle without the battery, how easy would that be..then again the Fiido X isn’t the lightest either.
urgh..this is growing arms and legs

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you want to ride unassisted, you'd need a frame that is rigid but still has a bit of flex.
Too rigid, it'll sap your energy, flex in wrong places, even worse.
That's why Bromptons are so well liked. They atre strong and flex in the right places.
I converted my cheap Brompton B75 and take it on holiday together with my sub 10kg full suspension bike.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
urgh..this is growing arms and legs
I'd say stay focused on the objective.

Your post #73:
I definitely don’t want to start messing with my budget as I have set it up for a reason. I suspect I will be buying a better bike in the future. I would prefer to do it once I’m not a complete newbie to pedelecs. Also I think I’d be able to learn upgrades or repairs on a cheap bike. I would be too scared to do it on a 3k+ one.
You're a stronger/more able cyclist than me: If 35-40 miles will do your trips, and your inclines/hills are 10-12% ish, the D11 (or D21) will do that with confidence and cash to spare.

AFAICS, only the lowest spec 375Wh/Cadence 806 meets your budget: On the plus side, you do get a local dealer for help, and the possibility of tax saving through a cycle to work scheme (although that ties you in for 4 years).

I'd think the ride would be different given the geometry; which suits best/appeals most?

I'd think either would be an easy sell once you find your e-bike feet and itch for something better.

PS: No e-bike is fun to ride without assist. You soon learn the limit of what your battery can do.