How to find a trustworthy bike shop if…

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It’s the paying it off in instalments over 12 months that works for me...
Understood. But isn't that what these are for (just a suggestion)?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Good choice... I'd just order a Rambletta now and stop fretting/going around in circles: It's a great value choice, meets the things you've said you're looking for (apart from a torque sensor), and supplied by a great company who engages with their customers (of which there are many happy ones here).

I agree about credit/debt.

Reactions: Sylvs and Woosh

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
An update. Ended up with a Wisper 806 575 battery. A bit more £££ than originally expected but just couldn’t compromise on the Torque. Turns out that straightening out of the handlebar stem was an IQ riddle I was close to failing but got there in the end
Baptism of fire this week

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
An update. Ended up with a Wisper 806 575 battery. A bit more £££ than originally expected but just couldn’t compromise on the Torque. Turns out that straightening out of the handlebar stem was an IQ riddle I was close to failing but got there in the end
Baptism of fire this week
Thanks for the business Sylvs, we really appreciate your choosing a Wisper! Please let me know how it goes?

All the best, David

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
Thanks for the business Sylvs, we really appreciate your choosing a Wisper! Please let me know how it goes?

All the best, David
I genuinely am in love with this bike. Takes time to get used to folding it but rides a dream. I don’t know what the cadence sensor feels like(so can’t compare), however the power only really kicking in when I’m exerting a fair amount of effort is perfect for me. So YAY!
I did end up going through e-bikes direct (CS etc) and the bike came scratched pretty badly :confused: but they will send touch up paint. The breaks also squeak and rub like heck..they said they are set tighter as they’ll loosen off after a few rides..I have got an older cyclocross bike, and the breaks sound the same so I think I’m being told porkies here. Any thoughts/advice?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I did end up going through e-bikes direct (CS etc) and the bike came scratched pretty badly :confused: but they will send touch up paint.
Badly scratched?!? o_O Personally, I would have demanded a replacement or refund! There's no way I would ever accept a brand new scratched bike. Touch up paint wouldn't help resale value much.

Last edited:

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
Badly scratched?!? o_O Personally, I would have demanded a replacement or refund! There's no way I would ever accept a brand new scratched bike. Touch up paint wouldn't help resale value much.
Well I used the bike today already so replacement is out the window.:rolleyes: They did say it looks like the bike had a rough journey..not sure if that’s the case cos it came in a box the size of a house:D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I did end up going through e-bikes direct (CS etc) and the bike came scratched pretty badly :confused:
:oops: Okay that’s good to see
The Cyclescheme may complicate matters?

but they will send touch up paint.
Would painting over the scratches make the bike unreturnable?

Last edited:

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
The Cyclescheme may complicate matters?

Would painting over the scratches make the bike unreturnable?
I have sent them pics of the scratches. They seem to genuinely want to resolve it. And I don’t want to return the bike cos I genuinely like it. Will see what they come back with.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It's very much a personal decision if you do decide to accept the bike.

If I were paying for a brand new bike, I might accept a minor abrasion as a hazard of transit, but if it's "badly scratched up", that reduces the value of the asset you've purchased, and I'd want the bike exchanged.

Of course you need the bike, and weighing that into the balance, exchanging it depends on whether there is stock available to replace it. If there isn't, I'd expect a healthy discount if I were to accept damaged/reduced value goods. That's a reasonable and fair argument... e.g. John Lewis give huge discounts if you were to accept an item damaged in transit, because it costs them far more to collect and replace the damaged item.

The bike you've bought isn't a cheap one and you'll likely be living with it for a long time. I'd want to be happy with my investment and not live with regrets, however lovely your new bike is.

Reactions: guerney

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I genuinely am in love with this bike. Takes time to get used to folding it but rides a dream. I don’t know what the cadence sensor feels like(so can’t compare), however the power only really kicking in when I’m exerting a fair amount of effort is perfect for me. So YAY!
I did end up going through e-bikes direct (CS etc) and the bike came scratched pretty badly :confused: but they will send touch up paint. The breaks also squeak and rub like heck..they said they are set tighter as they’ll loosen off after a few rides..I have got an older cyclocross bike, and the breaks sound the same so I think I’m being told porkies here. Any thoughts/advice?
Hi Sylvs,

I am delighted to read you are enjoying the bike, not so excited about the scratch though!

Please would you send me an image... david@wisperbikes.com

Many thanks, All the best, David

Reactions: esuark

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
3 weeks on and I have aged a decade;) the consensus is that I am probably unlucky. Bike sat in a box waiting to be picked up by the courier.
The paintwork seemed to be least of my problems, although (not to exaggerate) it seem to chip easily which is upsetting at this price point.
Bigger issue comes from the brakes being tight and squeaking like a mofo (not had rain here and deliberately not used anything on them to stop that).
Then, the amazing front wheel displacing to the left (by about 1cm) each time i brake
Saddle coming off the bracket daily, after being tightened with an allen key (that’s with only sitting on the saddle cos I lift the bike by the frame)…and some quite relaxing rattling from back wheel..e-bikes direct will assess the bike and are wanting to repair it(maybe replace it if deemed necessary)
Of course I might be too picky.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
3 weeks on and I have aged a decade;) the consensus is that I am probably unlucky. Bike sat in a box waiting to be picked up by the courier.
The paintwork seemed to be least of my problems, although (not to exaggerate) it seem to chip easily which is upsetting at this price point.
Bigger issue comes from the brakes being tight and squeaking like a mofo (not had rain here and deliberately not used anything on them to stop that).
Then, the amazing front wheel displacing to the left (by about 1cm) each time i brake
Saddle coming off the bracket daily, after being tightened with an allen key (that’s with only sitting on the saddle cos I lift the bike by the frame)…and some quite relaxing rattling from back wheel..e-bikes direct will assess the bike and are wanting to repair it(maybe replace it if deemed necessary)
Of course I might be too picky.
OMG! Sounds terrible. Please email me directly. David@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
One is a complete novice when it comes to e-bikes?
I am looking at buying an electric folder on cyclescheme. I have not been obsessively researching “inexpensive” bikes. I scoured this forum, googled/binged/yahooed the internet and am more confused then ever. So and internet retailer is out .
I have now started emailing every local shop I can find to get advice but a lot of them have told me that I will not find a decent bike under 1.5k and are telling me I need to look at 2.5k+. My understanding of pedelecs is fairly basic so I guess I’d like to know what are the red flags to look out for when dealing with bike dealers so I don’t get sold something that’s overpriced and under delivers;)
I’ve the past month I have scoured this forum and feel like this is the place to come for such advice.
A excellent rear hub ebike - WATT Mobilty excellent bike , quality Samsung Batteries used

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
One is a complete novice when it comes to e-bikes?
I am looking at buying an electric folder on cyclescheme. I have not been obsessively researching “inexpensive” bikes. I scoured this forum, googled/binged/yahooed the internet and am more confused then ever. So and internet retailer is out .
I have now started emailing every local shop I can find to get advice but a lot of them have told me that I will not find a decent bike under 1.5k and are telling me I need to look at 2.5k+. My understanding of pedelecs is fairly basic so I guess I’d like to know what are the red flags to look out for when dealing with bike dealers so I don’t get sold something that’s overpriced and under delivers;)
I’ve the past month I have scoured this forum and feel like this is the place to come for such advice.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
OMG! Sounds terrible. Please email me directly. David@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David
Hi Sylvs,

I’ve not heard from you. Your problems are unique on a Wisper 806 so I’d really appreciate a response. I’ll personally take over your case and resolve it speedily for you. From your first posts saying you “love” the bike to what seems like a complete disaster it’s obvious something has gone terribly wrong. On the face of it it sounds like the courier had crushed the bike and re boxed it as the cartons we use are not quite as big as a house!

Please call or txt me anytime. 07733226906, or pm me here.

All the best, David