How to find a trustworthy bike shop if…

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
If you want to ride unassisted, you'd need a frame that is rigid but still has a bit of flex.
Too rigid, it'll sap your energy, flex in wrong places, even worse.
That's why Bromptons are so well liked. They atre strong and flex in the right places.
I converted my cheap Brompton B75 and take it on holiday together with my sub 10kg full suspension bike.
I'd say stay focused on the objective.

Your post #73:

You're a stronger/more able cyclist than me: If 35-40 miles will do your trips, and your inclines/hills are 10-12% ish, the D11 (or D21) will do that with confidence and cash to spare.

AFAICS, only the lowest spec 375Wh/Cadence 806 meets your budget: On the plus side, you do get a local dealer for help, and the possibility of tax saving through a cycle to work scheme (although that ties you in for 4 years).

I'd think the ride would be different given the geometry; which suits best/appeals most?

I'd think either would be an easy sell once you find your e-bike feet and itch for something better.

PS: No e-bike is fun to ride without assist. You soon learn the limit of what your battery can do.
Thanks yo both of you. I started spiralling.
My take away from not of these is that focus on the commute side of things (and budget set out at the start). I probably will be adding to my collection or upgrading the bike at some point (once I’m more proficient at e-bikes).
Fiido D21 is budget friendly and not an overkill but has the torque (better workout)
Wipers are more expensive, and Low Steps, is how does that change the comfort of a ride?

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
So, electroheads have(had?) this one in their shop https://electroheads.com/products/ado-air-20?variant=40181120401521
I’d come across ADOs before, more in the 350w motor + fat tyre combo. I’m assuming geared at the American markets where they are legal. But the lite version for the UK looks decent.
Red flags with ADO?
My final choices being a Fiido 21 vs Wisper 806 with torque have pros against my original list. I have now been watching tutorials on conversion kits and still considering buying a Dahon and making my own e-bike.

Reactions: Woosh

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Some of ADO's bikes are IMHO quite dire - impressive specification and features on paper but seriously lacking in build quality (paint, welds, appalling/knocking shocks), though that may have changed since I last looked. At face value, the AIR does look quite impressive (especially weight, the carbon belt, torque sensor, smooth-weld (cast?) frame)... but I personally would have a problem with any bike that had just the one fixed gear; too much effort going up hills, and spinning like crazy to get a bit of speed on the flat. Not ideal for a commuting bike IMHO.

Maybe a self build... with a Woosh kit given their renowned keenness to help/advise/build/fix/generally keep running?

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
Thank you again @cyclebuddy. I think I’ve devided on the Fiido with torque, puregym because of the price. I’m Pretty sure I’ll be doing a conversion kit next year on something better.
It’s because of @Woosh not doing CS that I’m in this predicament :pI would have been riding a rambletta by now without a doubt :cool:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I’m Pretty sure I’ll be doing a conversion kit next year on something better.
Sometimes conversions don't work out well:

• :D

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
Sometimes conversions don't work out well:

From what I have seen in tutorials, a many details need to align in order for it to be a success.
That’s why I think my newbie status is stopping me at the moment.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
From what I have seen in tutorials, a many details need to align in order for it to be a success.
Comparing photos, the wheelbase length of this Fiido and the Wisper 806 is the same - the red line indicates the Rambletta's. I daren't use Woosh or Wisper's copyrighted photos. Fiido seem to offer a lot for for the money.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I learned a lot from the thread that guerney linked to. Never again. It's better to say no to a bad solution right from the start.
I always make sure that the success of our customers is our success. I always make sure we know that the kit we propose is going to suit the customer and the donor bike, that the old tyre is going to fit the new wheel, the brakes are working exactly like before, whether you want to drill extra holes into your downtube to fit a battery or not. If you don't, then we find alternatives, may that be a mounting rail that extend the water bottle mount or a bag battery. We want to make sure that we know where the LCD is going to go on your handlebars, if you need a throttle or not, and how long the cables need to be so you don't have to buy a bag to hide the excess cables.

Reactions: flecc

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
I learned a lot from the thread that guerney linked to. Never again. It's better to say no to a bad solution right from the start.
I always make sure that the success of our customers is our success. I always make sure we know that the kit we propose is going to suit the customer and the donor bike, that the old tyre is going to fit the new wheel, the brakes are working exactly like before, whether you want to drill extra holes into your downtube to fit a battery or not. If you don't, then we find alternatives, may that be a mounting rail that extend the water bottle mount or a bag battery. We want to make sure that we know where the LCD is going to go on your handlebars, if you need a throttle or not, and how long the cables need to be so you don't have to buy a bag to hide the excess cables.
Prior to watching a dozen videos or reading that thread, I would have thought lol I needed was a set of tools, a bike and a conversion kit. The help of everyone on here has been INVALUABLE, and dare I say..lifesaving in more ways than one.
So I’m very grateful.

Reactions: flecc

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Comparing photos, the wheelbase length of this Fiido and the Wisper 806 is the same - the red line indicates the Rambletta's.
It's not really the wheelbase that matters though, is it? (IIRC the Rambletta is about 4" longer): What counts from a fit perspective is the reach between saddle and handlebars, and in that respect AFAIK there's little in it (and options to change reach/height with a riser bar for very little).

Took the plunge with D21:cool:
I guess we'll see you back here in 5-7 days then... either lovin' or hatin' it!

If the latter, be comforted that Fiido now offer a 30-day return window (that's new; I have no idea how that works).

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
It's not really the wheelbase that matters though, is it? (IIRC the Rambletta is about 4" longer): What counts from a fit perspective is the reach between saddle and handlebars, and in that respect AFAIK there's little in it (and options to change reach/height with a riser bar for very little).

I guess we'll see you back here in 5-7 days then... either lovin' or hatin' it!

If the latter, be comforted that Fiido now offer a 30-day return window (that's new; I have no idea how that works).
I suspect I will be back with other questions. I am determined not to have ones about “which bike to choose “ tho!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I almost converted a Radnall Micro - too switchy, and they rust like mad. Pashley's version was longer, better made.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Sylvs and Woosh

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
A quick update…FIIDO is oot (as we say up north). Pogocycles who do it on CS charge 1k+ change when bought privately but the price goes up to almost 1.6k once the add VAT and SHIPPING on CS
Off to see how I do with a Wisper (or quick glance at an Ezego)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Pogocycles who do it on CS charge 1k+ change when bought privately but the price goes up to almost 1.6k once the add VAT and SHIPPING on CS
That's often the way with Cycle Schemes - they cost money to administer and often there just isn't the margin there for a retailer to suck those fees up. Every time I see low-cost bikes with Cycle Scheme advertised, I suspect there's something hooky going on because it just can't be done: Discount seller Ebikes-Direct clearly state that all discounts are off if using the scheme. Pogo's own website shows many false RRP's (D21 as £1715 - it's NEVER been sold for that, the bike being £1037 direct from Fiido today inc shipping & VAT).

Fiido's business model is to keep the prices low by selling direct to consumer... the margin is IIRC 6% - which is nothing, and EVERY retailer trying to earn a crust selling has gone bust (Vive being the last a few months ago). IIRC by time the scheme charges had been added, one D21 buyer here concluded the scheme just wasn't worth the faff and delay, paid just a little more than what the scheme ultimately discounted the bike to... but paying in cash was then able to collect his new ride the same day.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
one D21 buyer here concluded the scheme just wasn't worth the faff and delay,
the problem that we have with cyclescheme.co.uk is not so much their commission, Halfords charge the same and we do more business with Halfords than with any other scheme. The problem is their contract running into hundreds of pages imposing too many restrictions. We asked them to remove one or two of their clauses to suit our mail orders, they said no. It's been like that for many years.

Sylvs

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2023
That's often the way with Cycle Schemes - they cost money to administer and often there just isn't the margin there for a retailer to suck those fees up. Every time I see low-cost bikes with Cycle Scheme advertised, I suspect there's something hooky going on because it just can't be done: Discount seller Ebikes-Direct clearly state that all discounts are off if using the scheme. Pogo's own website shows many false RRP's (D21 as £1715 - it's NEVER been sold for that, the bike being £1037 direct from Fiido today inc shipping & VAT).

Fiido's business model is to keep the prices low by selling direct to consumer... the margin is IIRC 6% - which is nothing, and EVERY retailer trying to earn a crust selling has gone bust (Vive being the last a few months ago). IIRC by time the scheme charges had been added, one D21 buyer here concluded the scheme just wasn't worth the faff and delay, paid just a little more than what the scheme ultimately discounted the bike to... but paying in cash was then able to collect his new ride the same day.
It’s the paying it off in instalments over 12 months that works for me, at this point it’s clear that the “savings” are non-existent.