Hub Motor Kit Outlet

D

Deleted member 4366

Save yourself some dosh. This bike has strong steel forks - ideal for a BPM motor. It's nice and strong for people that ate a pie or two too many.

Fit the BPM kit, upgrade the brakes to branded hydraulics, and you'll have change out of £800. Forget about your hub gears. They're no big deal. You won't need any gears anyway with a Big Bear kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muddyfox-Livewire-26-Dual-Suspension-Bike-Disc-Brakes-12-Month-UK-Warranty-/122247692197?hash=item1c7687bfa5:g:SjUAAOSwi0RXxBaE

Reactions: Andy88

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Save yourself some dosh. This bike has strong steel forks - ideal for a BPM motor. It's nice and strong for people that ate a pie or two too many.

Fit the BPM kit, upgrade the brakes to branded hydraulics, and you'll have change out of £800. Forget about your hub gears. They're no big deal. You won't need any gears anyway with a Big Bear kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muddyfox-Livewire-26-Dual-Suspension-Bike-Disc-Brakes-12-Month-UK-Warranty-/122247692197?hash=item1c7687bfa5:g:SjUAAOSwi0RXxBaE
Thanks Dave, that's the push I needed.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

Did you mean keep derailleurs and also stick to BPM over Crank Drive?

Put BPM on front or back wheel?

Battery in pannier or downpipe?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
B/B = Bottom Bracket.
BPM is Bafang front wheel hub, equivalent rear wheel hub is a CST.
Hub gears (IGH) can only be used with front hub or Crank drive.
Eccentric B/B an oversized B/B shell casing that holds a standard B/B in a special eccentric insert to allow chain tension, negates the need to use special rear drop outs and derailleur type chain tensioner.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
B/B = Bottom Bracket.
BPM is Bafang front wheel hub, equivalent rear wheel hub is a CST.
Hub gears (IGH) can only be used with front hub or Crank drive.
Eccentric B/B an oversized B/B shell casing that holds a standard B/B in a special eccentric insert to allow chain tension, negates the need to use special rear drop outs and derailleur type chain tensioner.
That's something else I've learnt, thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Keep the derailleur gears and fit a Big Bear kit, not a central motor. Any time in the future, you can swap the Big Bear kit to any other bike, in which case you'd only lose about £70 when you sell the bike as second hand. You will then learn from your experience and be in a good position to buy a different bike if you want.

One thing I've found from all my experience of converting high-end and low-end bikes is that they all work pretty well. You only need something special when you're an experienced discerning cyclist.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Keep the derailleur gears and fit a Big Bear kit, not a central motor. Any time in the future, you can swap the Big Bear kit to any other bike, in which case you'd only lose about £70 when you sell the bike as second hand. You will then learn from your experience and be in a good position to buy a different bike if you want.

One thing I've found from all my experience of converting high-end and low-end bikes is that they all work pretty well. You only need something special when you're an experienced discerning cyclist.
I get you dave.
You favour the big bear kit at £599 over Oxydrive and Cyclotricity? The latter is direct drive?

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire

Anything wrong with buying second hand £175 to £250? Ive seen cubes, ridgebacks, etc less than a year old at those prices where their original price more than double!

That's another thing I notice, depreciation seems high on a lot of bikes both electric and pedal.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Anything wrong with buying second hand £175 to £250? Ive seen cubes, ridgebacks, etc less than a year old at those prices where their original price more than double!

That's another thing I notice, depreciation seems high on a lot of bikes both electric and pedal.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland

DSC_0011_3.JPG

D

Deleted member 4366

Heavy people need a strong motor with high current. Only the Big Bear kit meets those requirements and sort of legal. You need strong forks for the Big Bear motor. Best are ones with 5mm plate dropouts. Thin spindly steel road bike type forks are probably not strong enough. I wouldn't recommend using any light alloy forks. You can change the forks on any bike. Used steel ones are about £30.

The Oxydrive rear kit is good for medium to heavy weight people, especially if you want to go fast, but at only 15 amps, it lacks the BB's grunt. The front motor Oxydrive kit is smaller and less powerful, so better for medium to light people.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Am 21+stone and am well impressed with the ability of the conversion kit so far (am expecting to replace bearings or the motor at some point) it lets me keep up with guys who are 20/30 year younger than me and if truth be told ad have got one 40 year ago if they were available.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Am 21+stone and am well impressed with the ability of the conversion kit so far (am expecting to replace bearings or the motor at some point) it lets me keep up with guys who are 20/30 year younger than me and if truth be told ad have got one 40 year ago if they were available.
Perfect, nothing wrong with the gumtree bike looks good on the rack.

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Heavy people need a strong motor with high current. Only the Big Bear kit meets those requirements and sort of legal. You need strong forks for the Big Bear motor. Best are ones with 5mm plate dropouts. Thin spindly steel road bike type forks are probably not strong enough. I wouldn't recommend using any light alloy forks. You can change the forks on any bike. Used steel ones are about £30.

The Oxydrive rear kit is good for medium to heavy weight people, especially if you want to go fast, but at only 15 amps, it lacks the BB's grunt. The front motor Oxydrive kit is smaller and less powerful, so better for medium to light people.
Thanks again, so it boils down to bite the bullet on derailleurs forget the hub motors, which add more weight anyway. Then either take the big bear off the shelf for £1,099 or get a sturdy bike like the pic you sent or strong second hand around £200 and convert £600 + fitting and extras £100 + Bike £175 to £225 making it £875 to £925.

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Thanks again, so it boils down to bite the bullet on derailleurs forget the hub motors, which add more weight anyway. Then either take the big bear off the shelf for £1,099 or get a sturdy bike like the pic you sent or strong second hand around £200 and convert £600 + fitting and extras £100 + Bike £175 to £225 making it £875 to £925.
In your case I'd just buy the big bear for £1100 and enjoy the experience.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The only reason that I would go for a lighter ebike, fitted with a kit, would be to throw it around cross country. They're a nightmare to pedal unassisted. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Tabs