Kalkhoff Endeavour BS10 400Wh

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
And would love to know what my particular political / commercial agenda is meant to be ?
Wasn't directing that comment at you, GaRRy.

On this basis it seems reasonable to me that any one selling them should make it perfectly clear in advertising etc that they are not road legal with out registering (if possible) in the UK. Just saying oh we tell all potential customers this verbally when they ask to buy is just not good enough (and pretty hard to prove in a court of law). Again experience says that if anything does go wrong and **** hits the fan then the buyer will try and firmly lay the blame on the supplier claiming they were not informed of the law and the seller will have no definitive evidence to prove otherwise.
I agree with you on this in principle (all above). But I personally believe it sufficient to disclose that the bike has SVA as a category L1e moped. There ought to be some straightforward mechanism of granting such vehicles a tax disc and registration. If not, then it is impossible to register a bike with EU harmonised category approval in the UK and that position needs to be corrected. If we're getting anal about it then the practical point of whether the registered vehicle is in turn permitted to be ridden in the UK and subject to what conditions is a separate one which will no doubt keep some people occupied for a considerable period, willingly or otherwise depending on their job descriptions in the appropriate authorities and their other priorities !

There's nothing to stop owners of registered L1e mopeds going to Germany in their campervans and riding them over there with an insurance cover note. In principle !

Regarding the bit in bold, the key point here is that if 50Cycles did this then that's a risk they are choosing to run and I cannot agree with competing businesses like Kudos who elect not to run those risks trying to take legal steps about speculation over this where others are concerned. There is only one way to interpret that behaviour as already elaborated at length above - and it's basically seems no more than toys out of the pram. Many of those buying S-Pedelecs in all likelihood would not bother buying a regular eBike at all so any notion that sales are being diverted to those bikes from the rest of the market is most likely, on the whole, misconceived.

I think that this has been done to death and we all agree that S class bikes can't be used legally on UK roads, cycle paths or anywhere else where the public have access. There is a way around this, but it's complicated, expensive and most likely something that the average Ebike owner would not want to become involved it.

Whether you choose to buy one and risk it is a personal decision. There will be those who decide that ilegal S class ownership is for them and there will be those who are more comfortable owning something which conforms to UK legislation. What is entirely unacceptable is to pass an ilegal machine off as legal and to then allow someone to unwittingly break the law. Whether or not the seller has any legal responsibility to make the buyer aware that the bike is ilegal on UK roads, they should do as a matter of honesty and integrity.

Now the question is, are 50 Cycles making their customers aware that an S class bike, purchased from them, can not be legally used on UK roads? If so, they have nothing to be ashamed of and I can see nothing wrong in what they do. If they are withholding that information, then that is a shameful way to conduct business and they deserve to earn a bad reputation. I don't know which of the two they practice and wouldn't like to hazard a guess.
A lot of truth here - most eBikers would not want to be involved so the likes of the mass selling price-undercutters ought not to be getting involved either and imo should back off and leave well alone.

50Cycles do inform customers who make enquiries regarding the matters above relating to S-Pedelecs in my personal experience.

With regard to the bit in bold, you are absolutely right - and EVERY dealer I spoke to when looking for an eBike did precisely that. I am not going to name names but they ALL misled me into believing that the 250W bikes they had available to sell were legal to ride in the UK before any amnesty against prosecution had been announced by the DfT. They technically left me open to a risk of contravention of the UK Road Traffic Act and a considerably lengthy and expensive process to contest any charge with nothing more it seems than the hope that some convoluted legal defence, perhaps relying on referral to a European Court might work in my favour if there was an incident - but no guarantees.

If dealers weren't aware of the legal position then, they ought to have been. As it turns out the technical infractions on account of riding the bike in good faith prior to the Amnesty date did not lead to any adverse consequence and the Amnesty is now in force.

So, let he (or she) who is without sin cast the first stone on matters relating to misleading customers in the eBike industry about the legality of use of eBikes on the road in the UK. As a customer, I have absolutely no time for certain dealers (now that they have what they wanted in the Amnesty which protects their core market) attempting to whitewash themselves over this serious historical omission on all their parts that is being brushed under the carpet in a shower of mud-slinging over what is or is not told to customers about S-Pedelecs. An e-Bike I did get sufficient relevant facts about to decide it wasn't for me was an S-Pedelec - as it happens, from 50Cycles.

Few of us are fooled by all the Dealer-originated hubris. It is plain and simple to see it all for what it is, if you simply open your eyes and examine the facts.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Tim

Yes it could

Firstly why dont you say anything on your web site other then the Endeavour BS10 is type approved as a L1E moped ?

Secondly as the L1E is not a recognised type approval in the UK (and most of EU except Germany) its completely meaningless as its not possible to register a L1E with DVLA.

So you are still not really sting all the true facts.

Also as you claim you inform all potential buyers (and im willing to accept this), I just don't understand why you fail to mention this anywhere on your web pages ?.
Perhaps the easiest solution is for 50 Cycles to register the bike with DVLA prior to the customer picking it up. Much the same as you would expect from a dealer when purchasing a new car.

That way, there could be no question over the lack of registration.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Perhaps the easiest solution is for 50 Cycles to register the bike with DVLA prior to the customer picking it up. Much the same as you would expect from a dealer when purchasing a new car.

Buts thats another point it just is not possible with the bike as its is made and supplied by Kalkhoff.

L1E is a meaning less type approval in UK as it is not recognised as a valid type of motorised vehicle in the UK.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Awaiting clarification as to whether L1e vehicles can be registered in UK with the DVLA on the basis of their EU type approval.

Interestingly, if they are, the insurance does not appear difficult to obtain :

Electric Scooter Insurance » Lexham Insurance Consultants Ltd

Or a dealer could have the customer sign a disclaimer stating that they have been notified of and understand their obligations - but that's up to them as it's their potential risks of things rebounding in the event of things going Pete Tong.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Buts thats another point it just is not possible with the bike as its is made and supplied by Kalkhoff.

L1E is a meaning less type approval in UK as it is not recognised as a valid type of motorised vehicle in the UK.
I understand that, I was just making the point in my own way.
If everything was above board, 50 cycles should be only too happy to register on behalf of any purchaser.

The fact that they do not offer this service suggests that they know it would be an impossible task for any customer. This suggests to me that there is a little misleading going.

Having said that, most if not all buyers would know this and I suspect have just made their choice on the matter and are no doubt very happy with their bikes.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Example of an L1e moped:

Check out this tab:

Do electric scooters need road tax, registration documents, number plates and an MOT test in the UK?

PowaRider - Electric Bikes

UK BEBA member that sells scooters as well as ebikes explains the rules.

You might have to fit indicators, brake light and wing mirrors and of course get rid of those darn pedals to get them registered:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Maybe they should be sold in restricted form,and then at first dealer service they can be derestricted,it seems to work ok for 50cc scooters, these are legally 30mph limited bikes just enquire about buying one and ask about the top speed and you will be told how easilly they be made to do 40mph plus during the first service.this practice has gone on for at least 15 years, with teenagers trying to wrest out as many extra mph as possible using performance exhausts etc as well,now if irresponsible teenagers have been allowed to tear along at illegal speeds for so long ,why would the law suddenly look out for old men doing 19mph whilst pedaling an electric bike,most of us only want a little extra help uphill really, why are we allowed to pedal assist at 50 mph downhill with no thought about the safety of up to 40kg of bike needing better braking, but 15mph capability uphill is an absolute not allowed,all sellers should at least try offering an optional off road boost option on their bikes as an extra after sale option.

JimB

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2013
Derbyshire
I understand that, I was just making the point in my own way.
If everything was above board, 50 cycles should be only too happy to register on behalf of any purchaser.

The fact that they do not offer this service suggests that they know it would be an impossible task for any customer. This suggests to me that there is a little misleading going on.......
That may be your impression but the facts as we know them come nowhere near supporting that supposition.

JimB

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Riding one of these bikes post registration would be a very unattractive prospect-tax(albeit free),insurance(£150 average),motorcycle helmet,excluded from cycle tracks,number plate,MOT etc etc. So I must assume that buyers had either made the upfront decision to ride illegally or didn't understand that they would be riding illegally.
I suspect that many think that because its attached to a bike the offence is minor but as far as the police are concerned you are operating an unregistered motor vehicle without number plates,tax,insurance and maybe without a motorcycle licence...I don't think anyone would drive their car down the road similarly....the police,of course,find the bike less easy to spot.
Don't think I am being a killjoy on this. I find it frustrating that the speed cuts out at 15.5 mph,it is just on the point of a natural cruise speed,20 mph would be so much nicer. Also an extra 100 watts would make most steep hills an easier climb especially for those who don't have strong legs. But we have to accept that these limits are balanced by being allowed to ride everywhere a non assisted bike can go and remember that 14 year olds can ride same,we have to accept that is the law.
KudosDave

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Maybe they should be sold in restricted form,and then at first dealer service they can be derestricted,it seems to work ok for 50cc scooters, these are legally 30mph limited bikes just enquire about buying one and ask about the top speed and you will be told how easilly they be made to do 40mph plus during the first service.this practice has gone on for at least 15 years, with teenagers trying to wrest out as many extra mph as possible using performance exhausts etc as well,now if irresponsible teenagers have been allowed to tear along at illegal speeds for so long ,why would the law suddenly look out for old men doing 19mph whilst pedaling an electric bike,most of us only want a little extra help uphill really, why are we allowed to pedal assist at 50 mph downhill with no thought about the safety of up to 40kg of bike needing better braking, but 15mph capability uphill is an absolute not allowed,all sellers should at least try offering an optional off road boost option on their bikes as an extra after sale option.
Yes but this is a illegal practice as well unless you declare to DVLA and insurance company that you have done so. As soon as a moped is no longer restricted to 30 mph then it is no longer a moped but a motorcycle and as such you then require a motorcycle license rather than a moped one. and if you get stopped you can and will get prosecuted.

Not saying the law as it stands is fair but is based on the basic logic of how fast can a normal person (as opposed to a die hard cyclist) travel on a bike and 15 mph is about right based on fact i seem to pass more cycles than pass me (Especially up hill where I may not be doing 15 mph but I am still going much faster than all but the fittest of cyclists). Also remember for a moped you have to have a license,tax and insurance which you dont for a bicycle so what should you be able to have a bicycle capable of the same performance as a moped and not require any of these ?.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Example of an L1e moped:

Check out this tab:

Do electric scooters need road tax, registration documents, number plates and an MOT test in the UK?

PowaRider - Electric Bikes
Nope thats a L3e which is a completely different thing. Basically a true electric moped / motorcycle

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Nope thats a L3e which is a completely different thing. Basically a true electric moped / motorcycle
Shown further down the page:

What does ‘derestricted’ mean and how can I get a derestricted electric scooter?

All our electric scooters are supplied in ‘restricted’ form as standard to enable them to be classified as mopeds or category L1e vehicles. Like all vehicles of this type the maximum speed is limited to 48kph (30mph) – allowing the maximum range to be obtained. Our scooters can be derestricted to increase the maximum speed to 67kph (42mph) but increased speeds will, as you would expect, reduce the usable range.

also found this, although not that helpful:

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/intm/134159.pdf

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Riding one of these bikes post registration would be a very unattractive prospect-tax(albeit free),insurance(£150 average),motorcycle helmet,excluded from cycle tracks,number plate,MOT etc etc. So I must assume that buyers had either made the upfront decision to ride illegally or didn't understand that they would be riding illegally.
I suspect that many think that because its attached to a bike the offence is minor but as far as the police are concerned you are operating an unregistered motor vehicle without number plates,tax,insurance and maybe without a motorcycle licence...I don't think anyone would drive their car down the road similarly....the police,of course,find the bike less easy to spot.
Don't think I am being a killjoy on this. I find it frustrating that the speed cuts out at 15.5 mph,it is just on the point of a natural cruise speed,20 mph would be so much nicer. Also an extra 100 watts would make most steep hills an easier climb especially for those who don't have strong legs. But we have to accept that these limits are balanced by being allowed to ride everywhere a non assisted bike can go and remember that 14 year olds can ride same,we have to accept that is the law.
KudosDave
I agree KD, but does increased speed on an ebike make any difference?:

Examine it! Electric Bicycles in a Crash Test | drive it - YouTube

Old news but it can happen:

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/PHOTOS+bike+collision+kills+central+Windsor/6902207/story.html

Last edited:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Shown further down the page:

What does ‘derestricted’ mean and how can I get a derestricted electric scooter?

All our electric scooters are supplied in ‘restricted’ form as standard to enable them to be classified as mopeds or category L1e vehicles. Like all vehicles of this type the maximum speed is limited to 48kph (30mph) – allowing the maximum range to be obtained. Our scooters can be derestricted to increase the maximum speed to 67kph (42mph) but increased speeds will, as you would expect, reduce the usable range.

also found this, although not that helpful:

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cms_data/docs/pressdata/en/intm/134159.pdf
Sorry my mistake getting the numbers mixed up.

Currently a 'S' class bike is a 1LE-A and a moped is 1LE-B. In the UK as it currently stands you cant register a 1LE-A only a 1LE-B type approved bike. I was mistakenly thinking that L1E = 'S' class, L2E = moped and L3E = motorcycle. Same end result just different letters.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A lot of people on this forum insist that an S Class is in fact a moped. I disagree but if it makes it easier, let all agree that it is in fact a moped.

Right, its now a moped!! Insure, tax and ride the thing and stop going round in circles.
As others have pointed out, the class it would fall in here can only be an L1e moped. But as an e-bike it can have legal form in a German class but not in any other EU country. It's impossible to register it as an L1e moped but still use it in a cycling fashion anywhere else.

The only possibility is to try and get the Vehicle Inspectorate to accept it as a form of motor cycle as Tim has acknowledged, but the vehicle requirements for that are near to impossible to meet with a bicycle. Also who wants to cycle in the required BSI approved motor cycle helmet and what insurance company will accept one in a class unrecognised in the UK. In other words, it's impractical to make an S class bike legal here, and that is why no-one has achieved it to date.

You feel this position is ridiculous, effectively meaning you feel that only Germany is sensible and all the other 26 EU countries governments ridiculous. Maybe.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
As others have pointed out, the class it would fall in here can only be an L1e moped. But as an e-bike it can have legal form in a German class but not in any other EU country. It's impossible to register it as an L1e moped but still use it in a cycling fashion anywhere else.

The only possibility is to try and get the Vehicle Inspectorate to accept it as a form of motor cycle as Tim has acknowledged, but the vehicle requirements for that are near to impossible to meet with a bicycle. Also who wants to cycle in the required BSI approved motor cycle helmet and what insurance company will accept one in a class unrecognised in the UK. In other words, it's impractical to make an S class bike legal here, and that is why no-one has achieved it to date.

You feel this position is ridiculous, effectively meaning you feel that only Germany is sensible and all the other 26 EU countries governments ridiculous. Maybe.
Yes, a totally ridiculous situation. The Germans have it spot on and the rest of the EU governments have taken a ridiculous stance.

As a matter of fact, I think the Germans have a lot of things spot on but that's another story.

quilly21

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2010
My 250w Panasonic powered kalkhoff appeared to be more powerfull and sporty than my neigbours German visitors 350 watt Bosch powered Riese-und-muller, that was his opinion too. My non assisted sports cycle is faster in every respect than my electric bike, and quicker on my commute.
I just arrive in a lather, I think 20 mph is a reasonable figure and fairly self limiting with 250 watts for any but the lightest most determined rider, 15 is too slow for any distance of commute.
If electric bikes put power back into the grid (on the over run) the Goverment would be paying you a subsidy to increase your power and speed!!

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
My 250w Panasonic powered kalkhoff appeared to be more powerfull and sporty than my neigbours German visitors 350 watt Bosch powered Riese-und-muller, that was his opinion too

which exact model do you have ?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
My non assisted sports cycle is faster in every respect than my electric bike, and quicker on my commute.
I just arrive in a lather, I think 20 mph is a reasonable figure and fairly self limiting with 250 watts for any but the lightest most determined rider, 15 is too slow for any distance of commute.
Well said - this is exactly my reading of things. All a derestricted 20mph assisted eBike effectively does is make sure you're not as tired and sweaty as you'd be riding the unpowered bike. The notion they are more dangerous than unrestricted eBikes or that they're inherently faster than sports bikes for commuting is plain wrong.

They are slower bikes than reasonably fast road bikes for all but unfit or impaired riders. Setting legalities aside, the S-Pedelec classification thing is really a bit of a storm in a teacup as far as safety arguments are concerned compared to freely available unpowered bikes.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Cybercrime only asked what the bike was like!
Does anybody know what are the modifications necessary to one of these S class bikes to get it through moped registration. I noticed in the middle of this thread both D8veh and flecc both said it was difficult,in fact I think someone said it was nigh impossible,just interested what could be involved.
KudosDave