kalkoff with throttle....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I notice that the Pro connect S 2010 model is the only kalkoff with a throttle.
Does anyone know if there was a step thru model available and also why it doesnt seem to be available on the 2011 models ?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It is not a proper throttle? it is a low power, walk alongside one to help get you up steep hills - to steep to ride.

I think it is available as an add on for all the range.........

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
A while back, 50C were selling throttle kits which could be fitted to their bikes, so I'm sure you would be able to have one on any model in the range.

However, these throttles only power the bike along at a maximum of a brisk walking pace. They are intended for use when you are walking alongside the bike, up a hill for example, with a heavy load on the bike itself. The throttle definitely doesn't turn the bike into an electric moped.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I notice that the Pro connect S 2010 model is the only kalkoff with a throttle.
Does anyone know if there was a step thru model available and also why it doesnt seem to be available on the 2011 models ?
The Panasonic throttle can be retro fitted to any Panasonic powered machine. In the case of a new bike, the supplier will fit the throttle prior to delivery. Please be aware, it is a very low-power device to be used while walking the bike up a very steep hill, it is not designed for use when riding the bike.

For some strange reason, I can never find it on 50cycles website, but it does show on a search.

PANASONIC THROTTLE

You can read my own review of the throttle HERE

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Ah......thanks guys.....thought it was too good to be true :)

Had visions of me having my cake AND eating it......nice panasonic crank drive then throttling away into infinity and beyond.......:D :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Has anybody devised their own throttle adaptation for the panasonic system?
Can't be done without scrapping the entire electronic system and fitting a new controller externally. A to B did do that with a broken down Lafree, but it's not a great success. Fitting a front hub motor is a better solution for a failed unit.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
While on the subject of throttles...can anyone confirm that the UK pedelec law revisions designed to harmonise UK law with EU directive will make throttles offering power without pedalling illegal on new bikes?

If so, will manufacturers be able to get around this by making the throttle activate only when the pedals are being used?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is the intention that independent throttle control will be outlawed to bring us into line with EU regulations.

I can't see any problem with throttles operating while pedalling though, since they would then only be power limiters of the legally rated motor.

After all, the switched power level on such as the Kalkhoffs is in essence a stepped throttle giving three power levels, on BionX four power levels.

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
Giant will also be bringing out a throttle on there new models too (only limited to 4mph tho) ;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It is the intention that independent throttle control will be outlawed to bring us into line with EU regulations.

I can't see any problem with throttles operating while pedalling though, since they would then only be power limiters of the legally rated motor.

After all, the switched power level on such as the Kalkhoffs is in essence a stepped throttle giving three power levels, on BionX four power levels.
Absolutely Tony

Our bikes have just all passed the EN15194 certification process WITH a throttle, as long as it only works whilst pedalling there is no problem.

Whilst we can still use a full throttle in the UK however we will continue to do so.

Best regards

David

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
The throttle on this model will propel the bike up to about 11-12mph without pedalling. And we also have a small number of the step-thrus available to order this year.

Kalkhoff Pro Connect S Electric Bike
last option in the size drop down

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Not on mine it dosent....is that new for 2011 Tim?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Ok guys.....now you are just confusing me......:confused:

What exactly is the throttle on the kalkoff ?? Tim ?
Is it available as an add on option on all models ?
And is it walk alongside or a super duper wisper type throttle ??:confused:

Or is there the option of a legal throttle or an illegal one......even more confusing....:confused:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think its standard on the 'S' but optional on the others. On mine its a walk along side throttle, the motor doesn't produce enough power to ride it....

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Not on mine it dosent....is that new for 2011 Tim?
All Pro Connect Ss - the 2009 I ride to the shop manages about 11mph in top gear with me sitting on top of it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The throttle is an option which on the standard Panasonic units produces the EU regulation 6 kph (3.6 mph) for walk alongside purposes. In Britain and the EU this is legalised by the Pedestrian Controlled Vehicle legislation, covering such as the electric barrows used by the Post Office. Using the throttle while riding isn't covered of course.

When that same throttle is connected to the S high speed unit models from Kalkhoff and Flyer, the speed capability jumps accordingly to around 11 to 12.5 mph, according to the bike gear set, a by-product of the faster unit.

So more a run alongside throttle and illegal in the EU including Britain. Still, the whole bike is illegal in those areas, except Germany where there's a high speed class, so not worth worrying about just the throttle. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
The throttle is an option which on the standard Panasonic units produces the EU regulation 6 kph (3.6 mph) for walk alongside purposes. In Britain and the EU this is legalised by the Pedestrian Controlled Vehicle legislation, covering such as the electric barrows used by the Post Office. Using the throttle while riding isn't covered of course.

When that same throttle is connected to the S high speed unit models from Kalkhoff and Flyer, the speed capability jumps accordingly to around 11 to 12.5 mph, according to the bike gear set, a by-product of the faster unit.

So more a run alongside throttle and illegal in the EU including Britain. Still, the whole bike is illegal in those areas, except Germany where there's a high speed class, so not worth worrying about just the throttle.
well, thankyou very much FLECC for answering and making it clear that the only way to get a kalkoff throttle doing 11/12km is on an illegal bike that has certainly clarified that one....no more confusion for me now :)
Thanks also to scatty and NRG :)
I'm getting there slowly but surely.;)

Also, FYI......I've seen the dover online for £1250 :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also, FYI......I've seen the dover online for £1250 :)
I've seen prices like that too, but probably not what it seems.

These Panasonic powered bikes are also available from various makes in simple forms with only three gear hubs at around £1300/£1400. It's probably one of those since the Dover comes in that style too, the Agattu also at £1395.