kalkoff with throttle....

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I've seen prices like that too, but probably not what it seems.

These Panasonic powered bikes are also available from various makes in simple forms with only three gear hubs at around £1300/£1400. It's probably one of those since the Dover comes in that style too, the Agattu also at £1395.
Ah....thanks for the warning......I'll be careful then.....its at the bike factory....although it does say special offer prev £1799.....buyer beware as they say.....mind you IF I decided on that model I certainly wouldnt buy it online, I would get it from my local dealer and negotiate the price :)

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Our bikes have just all passed the EN15194 certification process WITH a throttle, as long as it only works whilst pedalling there is no problem.
Well, and I know that my couple of grand ain't going to make much difference to Wisper's continuing success, but if/when the law comes to the UK and is enforced, pedelecs and me part company.

I only use the sodding throttle because I am disabled, to get me from zero mph to 3 mph so that I can then start pedalling. I don't use it apart from that.

But without it, I am stymied (and no, the Kalkhoff walk/run alongside doesn't get 115kg from rest to 3mph!).

I suppose I will just be faced with buying second-hand bikes with throttles until they nail me down, but I would have liked another brand-new Wisper in a year or so. Ah well, no-one told me that life would be fair...

Allen.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Well, and I know that my couple of grand ain't going to make much difference to Wisper's continuing success, but if/when the law comes to the UK and is enforced, pedelecs and me part company.

I only use the sodding throttle because I am disabled, to get me from zero mph to 3 mph so that I can then start pedalling. I don't use it apart from that.

But without it, I am stymied (and no, the Kalkhoff walk/run alongside doesn't get 115kg from rest to 3mph!).

I suppose I will just be faced with buying second-hand bikes with throttles until they nail me down, but I would have liked another brand-new Wisper in a year or so. Ah well, no-one told me that life would be fair...

Allen.
That's a real shame to hear Allen. I expect there's a lot of people in your situation.. I just wonder how realistic it will be to enforce this law and whether the police will actually bother to check bikes..

This also raises more questions, which perhaps flecc or someone more knowledgeable about the changes to law might be able to answer...

- Will the "no throttle unless pedalling" law change apply to ALL electric bikes used on public roads, or only NEW bikes sold after the law change?

- Would new bikes be able to legally add an "off-road" switch allowing throttles to be used without pedalling?

Thanks,

Morphix

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't panic, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with a few creative solutions to get you started if or when they ban throttles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The DfT has confirmed that existing legal bikes will not be affected by any change in the law, it will not be retrospective.

Since any e-bike can have any of it's parts changed indefinitely, the one you have can live forever in effect. Just make sure you have a legal throttle controlled bike before the new law comes into force and you'll be ok. From previous experience there will be a period of grace from any announcement to implementation, commonly at least six months for manufacturers/dealers to clear stocks etc.

Also a good idea to keep the dated receipt/invoice of your bike to prove prior existence in case of any future crackdown.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
I got really excited when I saw that the Pro Connect Ss throttle gives a speed of up to 11-12mph as I would hate not to have a throttle but have been toying with the idea of a Kalkhoff.However I then read another post which described the Pro Connect ride as bone shattering,which I would also hate as comfort is more important to me than speed. I wonder is there any modification/adjustment which could be made to the Pro Connect to make it comfy , or is it just not that kind of bike?:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That applies to the original Pro Connect which had rigid forks.

All current versions of the Pro Connect have suspension forks and you can add a suspension seatpost cheaply if desired.

If you want to go super-comfortable, add Schwalbe Big Apple tyres which are known as add-on suspension for bikes. The end result then would be a magic carpet.

So no need to hesitate on these bikes now.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
That's right, the new Pro Connect Disc also brings sprung forks to that model. The Pro Connect S has always had sprung forks, with the option of a lockout. The 1:2 assistance is marvellous with the Alfine hub, it's almost effortless even on Nightingale Lane. We have one in Richmond now - people ride one and then buy one.

We've not tried fitting a throttle to a 2011 Pro Connect Disc or Agattu yet, it may be a bit perkier given the increased assistance...

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I've been meaning to come back to this thread, I checked the throttle operation again and it won't pull the skin of a rice pudding! Even in the low gears there's not enough torque to get bike and rider moving, no way is it like a normal throttle should be.

-------------------------------------------------------
Posting from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it's fixed at the minimum power level since the torque sensor isn't measuring any rider input pressure.

It's conceivable that the latest rise in the high power mode if that's selected will add a bit, but that rice pudding would probably still be a challenge too far.

deadmonkey

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2010
GL12
Indeed, my 2010 model on the 1.7 assistance (I believe that's the highest for last years) was sat at a temporary traffic light tonight a couple of gears down from top. Whilst waiting for the lights to change I was holding the throttle on in a childish revving at the lights fashion. On a slight incline I didn't have to hold it back as it didn't pull away at all, although I have previously used it to trundle along at about 10k up a slightly steeper hill, once I'd got it in motion and worked through the gears.

I think it would be very useful if something happened to my leg (broken, fell off ;) ), but if they work at all it's just so much quicker with a small amount of pedaling that I wouldn't bother on mine.

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
It is the intention that independent throttle control will be outlawed to bring us into line with EU regulations.

I can't see any problem with throttles operating while pedalling though, since they would then only be power limiters of the legally rated motor.

After all, the switched power level on such as the Kalkhoffs is in essence a stepped throttle giving three power levels, on BionX four power levels.
i think it will put a lot of would be buyers off if they know they have to peddle all the time, elder people,people with disabilaties etc. i dont think i could keep peddeling all the time as i have c.o.p.d., and officialy disabled, so get out of breath quite easily.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i think it will put a lot of would be buyers off if they know they have to peddle all the time, elder people,people with disabilaties etc. i dont think i could keep peddeling all the time as i have c.o.p.d., and officialy disabled, so get out of breath quite easily.
Well this is practically definite, pedalling all the time to get power. It's been the law in Europe for almost a decade and also here in Britain since 10th November 2003, but for a technical blunder by the civil service which left a loophole, exploited by many since.

It's that loophole which is now intended to be closed.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
As a matter of interest and to turn this on it's head.

ETRA has recently applied to the EU to have full throttles up to 25kph without pedalling made legal in Europe! Representatives were in Bussels yesterday to discuss.

All the best

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Let's hope they are successful David, it would maintain the market as wide as possible.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
ETRA has recently applied to the EU to have full throttles up to 25kph without pedalling made legal in Europe! Representatives were in Brussels yesterday to discuss.
If I was a praying man, David, I'd pray for their success. As it is, I'm not, but I'd be quite willing to wave my plastic leg over my head for them...

A

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I agree, as members of ETRA we were pleased to see the proposals being put forward. I don't know how much chance we have of succeeding.

Let's not get too precious about what a pedelec should be. For some it is ideal as an assist only product whereas others would prefer to have as much control over the available power as possible.

Regards

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Let's not get too precious about what a pedelec should be. For some it is ideal as an assist only product whereas others would prefer to have as much control over the available power as possible.

Regards

David
I'm just fearful about what any liberalisation could bring, Britain being the legalistic country that it is and still drafting it's own law. When the assist speed limit here was raised from 12 to 15 mph, our nanny state types added a 14 years lower age limit, something no-one else thought necessary.

Remember that the low powered moped class is also for pedalled two wheelers with a 15 mph assist limit and independent throttles. They are subject to compulsory helmet wearing and third party insurance. Any liberalisation of e-bike law making them almost the same could conceivably have an unfortunate accompaniment when our legislators get to work.

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
i wonder if it would be possible to change the clasification of an e bike to a disabled vehicle, in the same sort of class as the four and three wheeled types, after all its the same sort of speed

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
You've reassured me about the the comfort of the Pro Connect Flecc,thanks for that as I had discounted it as a possibility . Its now back in the running but I'm still puzzled by the very different accounts of the speed available from the throttle .

Tim, you did say that yours can take you along at 11-12mph -is this going downhill?:D Sorry, that wasn't meant to be cheeky,I'm just puzzled and genuinely interested to know what speed could be expected as most folk seem to feel the throttle is only of any use for walking alongside , which I accept is in itself useful but not in the way I'm interested in. Your further input would be appreciated, thanks