Lockdown

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Almost 40 people died from it yesterday just in my local hospital. They have people in their 20s and 30s with it in ITU. Numbers of deaths are still doubling every few days. I don't remember flu behaving like that, at least not in the past 100 years. There's a reason people have been instructed to avoid any gatherings and to stay at home unless absolutely essential.
Where do you live ?

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
BazP said:
As I said, we will have to agree to disagree. I’m sorry if I made the assumption that you seem to know more than all of the UK authorities on how to combat a new world threat.

Flecc replied.....
I only know more about how to protect myself and the others around me where I am, by tailored measures to suit the circumstances. That involves breaking the odd rule that threatens the safety of myself and others if complied with, which seems to upset those like yourself. So you disagree without any knowledge of how I am threatened by a rule.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————
I agree with Flecc and repeat my earlier view that The Govt gives guidance and makes rules to accommodate the lowest common denominators in society (of which there are plenty judging by pictures in the press), who are either incapable of seeing or understanding risk. These blanket rules take no account of specific situations where the local risk is higher than a short journey away to more open spaces.
Well the government are damned either way then. Some say they are not doing enough then complain when the police try to do a little bit more.
It’s difficult to take into account the specific situations of 66 million people.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so if 10 million people died in the uk in 1 year would it not be a good thing? as there would be no unemployment and drive up wages for skilled ppl like the Spanish flu.

the actions that this government are taking is going to destroy the economy for decades to come at this rate and will kill millions over that time.

if i am right the death toll will never go over the avg deaths in the uk @1400 per day and it is funny that now every one that dies is from cv19?wtf!

the governments do not give a crap and never have about how many ppl will die and never will how many wars has the uk started over the last 500 years and what was it all for.

land and money if ppl get in the way kill them all :p

Reactions: Chainring

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and there was about 30-40 ppl i went past down the canal today its a fkn joke the only time i have seen more ppl is when a fishing comp is on.

i cant exercise if i cant go 30 mph :p

now thats a lock down transformer ;)

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: georgehenry

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
..Did you hear the story about the Philippines ? where the poor and hungry were kicking up a din in the street demanding to be fed. The Governor/President or whatever he dictates to be ordered his forces to go out and give them a good hiding and disperse them.
They ran for it then later returned, the following order was to shoot the lot !..
Tho that story shows on 'Irish Sun', it's not coming up on
https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/ or https://gmanetwork.com/news/
But they are saying Bike Sales Doubled, as no public transport.
And
People complaining they're not getting their state relief money 1month into lockdown, with a question 'will there be unrest among the 100m population?'.

https://infosecurity-magazine.com/news/philippines/ saying 32 arrested for spreading false alarmist news on social media, and 1 x 63yr old shot at checkpoint for threatening health & police officers with a scythe when they told him to wear a mask in public.
(even bank & mall security have pump shotguns there!)

My family there says they are "allocated a time and area to go shopping", between 8am-5pm, sort of curfew thing, 1 checkpoint in town.

IMG-20200405-WA0010.jpg

Last edited:

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
The BEEB's back catalogue includes many horrors. Are you old enough to remember Ted Ray, who fancied he was the natural successor to Tommie Handley?
He was an encyclopaedia of old jokes! I saw him in a film the other day, dancing, which I never associated him with.

Reactions: flecc

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
Yes - and to remind ourselves - a normal flu year kills around 17,000. 27,000 died in 2018.

When this is all over - we will see if it was worth trashing the economy for the lives saved - or how many more will die now that we can't afford the health system we're used to.
It's not the excess annual death rate that's the issue although this could be anywhere between zero & 600K. The problem is having that excess annual death rate all in the next month or two. The lockdown isn't about saving lives although that's how it's interpreted by many. The lockdown is designed to slow the rate of spread of infection so that the number of very sick & dying people is manageable.

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
You have only quoted Soundwave selectively here, and I realise his punctuation may have misled people, but I can see what he means.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well the government are damned either way then. Some say they are not doing enough then complain when the police try to do a little bit more.
It’s difficult to take into account the specific situations of 66 million people.
Which is precisely my point about the regulations needing to have flexibility in their interpretation. Rigidity is always wrong.

The latest police chief making a prononuncement to his force has got it right. Explaining on radio today, he has told his officers to use their commonsense and given clear indications of what they must not do to enforce the detail of the law, such as asking for proof that their journey is for shopping.

Many government ministers have also got it right when instructing the public to "try to" and adding "as far as possible". Those leave enough flexibility to take into account individual circumstances where a rigid law enforcement can actually threaten someone's safety, which is my circumstance in more than one way.

The problem arises with the odd minister like Matt Hancock who was stupid enough to threaten inflexible enforcement, and with police chiefs, police officers and some Councils taking a foolishly unnecessary hard line.

The proof is in how many times the government have had to backtrack, such as telling the police to ease up, telling the councils to open parks again after first telling them to shut their parks, now easing up on driving in some circumstances. Today's example is telling anyone breeding dogs that they can after all deliver the puppies to those people who were to receive them, wherever they are. That isn't only commercial breeders but anyone rearing puppies.

Further easing is needed if the hard liners don't stop being cussed. For example the majority of dog owners cannot comply with the ruling that we are only allowed one trip out for exercise each day. Most dogs need to be taken out twice a day, and I know one owner who for her own health reasons needs to take her dog out four times each day.

Flexibly applying the law with commonsense allows those to happen, the letter of the law doesn't.

So the choice is simple:

A) Be flexible.

B) Rigidly enforce but provide so many exemptions that no-one is able to understand what the law is any more, or enforce it.

The cycling on the pavement law is a classic example of why B is silly. So many exemptions and circumstances to exempt that the police have given up and don't try to enforce, making the existence of that law pointless.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Flecc regarding a Police Chief instructing his Officers to use common sense , obviously it was not the Northamptonshire one . He is threatening to inspect Supermarket trollies to ensure they are not buying the wrong stuff . He makes the STASI look like Amateurs .

• Agree
Reactions: oriteroom and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc regarding a Police Chief instructing his Officers to use common sense , obviously it was not the Northamptonshire one . He is threatening to inspect Supermarket trollies to ensure they are not buying the wrong stuff . He makes the STASI look like Amateurs .
He's obviously an idiot who is inviting strong public reaction like that which Derbyshire suffered. The police chief I was listening to on a BBC Radio 4 news specifically said officers must not do that.

I haven't heard any ministers asking for such actions, and how can a police officer determine exactly what is essential? It's only important that people have included essentials, including some non essentials while they are there cannot possibly be of any risk to anyone.

If there is only one essential in someone's shopping, an officer cannot issue a fine legally, since that one item made their journey essential in nature according to the law.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just got back in and police are everywhere same as dog walkers and ppl on bikes pmsl one twat even crashed in to me today as had v brakes and race bike could not stop crossing the fkn road lmao.

bet he got a head ache now and cut his head open as clipped my helmet visor :D

made my day that did ;)

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Priti Patel has made the Northampton Police Chief see the error of his ways . He says he may have been clumsy with his use of language . This thing called Common Sense . Are you born with it ? Can you acquire it ? Can you purchase it ? Obviously he missed out on all three counts . Who picks these people from the Shortlist ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Priti Patel has made the Northampton Police Chief see the error of his ways . He says he may have been clumsy with his use of language . This thing called Common Sense . Are you born with it ? Can you acquire it ? Can you purchase it ? Obviously he missed out on all three counts . Who picks these people from the Shortlist ?
Now she needs to speak to the Cambridgeshire police too it seems, with them presuming to inspect Tesco shelves for "non essentials".

If I'd been that Tesco's manager I'd have booted them out with flea in their ears, the idiots.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
And there`s more , other Constabularies have caught this disease of Anti Commonsense . Durham says the only bikes out should be ones with blue lights on them . S Yorkshire stopped children playing in their front garden and Cambridge as befits a learned area have homed in on Supermarket aisles

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am in an edge of Town suburban area and if we walk directly from the house using I guess 1/8th to a 1/4 of a mile of pavements to access the nearest footpaths/bridal paths into the close by countryside we come across far more people on the pavements and first footpaths/bridal paths than if we drive a mile or there about, park in a little used country lane and walk from there. So for me breaking the do not drive to begin your exercise rule keeps me and my adult children safer by considerably reducing/eliminating interaction with other people.