Mercedes Benz Hybrid

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've got one of these Mercedes Benz e-bikes.

Sadly it's a scale model so I can't ride it. :(

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
if you don't mind me asking,where did you get it from Wraggy ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While you wait for Wraggy's response, I don't think the e-bikes are made any more, but Mercedes Benz bikes are sold through their regular dealerships, they make normal bikes as well.

Here's the latest one.

Just a normal roadster with the Nexus automatic gear system.

and here's their carbon fibre racing bike.

Last edited:

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
could be the nearest that i will get to saying "take a look at my merc in the garage" :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
could be the nearest that i will get to saying "take a look at my merc in the garage" :)
You haven't seen the prices though!

I think Mercedes got into this as a "me too" thing after Porsche started with a bike in 1998 which they continued to 2004. That was a dual suspension mountain bike called the Carrera costing about £4000 in 1998, probably making Mercedes eyes light up at the profit potential.

The market for these is almost entirely to owners of those cars.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
You haven't seen the prices though!

I think Mercedes got into this as a "me too" thing after Porsche started with a bike in 1998 which they continued to 2004. That was a dual suspension mountain bike called the Carrera costing about £4000 in 1998, probably making Mercedes eyes light up at the profit potential.

The market for these is almost entirely to owners of those cars.
the one in the picture was a 2003 model, it sold on eBay for £450, i contacted the seller to find out a litle more, it was a euro version, practically as new, not much juice lft in the 24v SLA batteries, but very smooth ride & nicely made, unusual drive system, using a belt arrangement.

a couple of weeks later i saw another one...

being sold by an American, he had shipped the bike here from the states, was relocating home & didn't want to take it back again, it was the 2004 US model, went for £500, he gave the top speed as 20 mph, wouldn't have minded a go on it.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
5 year old bikes with hydraulic brakes are quite likely to need a fair degree of skill/time to make servicable and the seals may not be available any more.
Not really a problem if you have a well kept version but something to watch if you fancy buying one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the one in the picture was a 2003 model, it sold on eBay for £450,

being sold by an American, he had shipped the bike here from the states, was relocating home & didn't want to take it back again, it was the 2004 US model, went for £500, he gave the top speed as 20 mph, wouldn't have minded a go on it.
Not expensive, but for an Oriental bike at that time a fair price. Their ordinary bikes are rather dearer, though obviously good quality.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
It's probably better made and more reliable than recent MB cars, my wifes last A Class and fathers E class were both very poor, the brand is only just recovering.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's probably better made and more reliable than recent MB cars, my wifes last A Class and fathers E class were both very poor, the brand is only just recovering.
I've never been impressed by them or had any desire to own one, grossly overpriced in the UK and too much hype. Attitudes to owners sometimes leaves much to be desired too.

WRAGGY

Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2008
MATLOCK, DERBYSHIRE, UK
Hi All,
I got mine from a seller on Ebay
Made him an offer of £320 and that was it
It is like new,
I drive a c class sports coupe and i am mercedes mad,
I would just like to know how to get the full 300 watt power from the sanyo motor instead of the 230,
I think the motor cuts out at 15 mph.
they are made by sachs or was from 1996 to 2004

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Hi All,
I got mine from a seller on Ebay
Made him an offer of £320 and that was it
It is like new,
I drive a c class sports coupe and i am mercedes mad,
I would just like to know how to get the full 300 watt power from the sanyo motor instead of the 230,
I think the motor cuts out at 15 mph.
they are made by sachs or was from 1996 to 2004
sounds like a bargain Andy,

can you locate the controller ? i think it is in the battery housing, that might give some clues.

beeps

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
No, not likely to be there! Look for a small box, most probably in the battery housing as Beeps says. The easiest way to derestrict is probably to find the controller and swap it out for one which isn't restricted - which you can buy cheaply on eBay.

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Mercedes Benz bikes are sold through their regular dealerships, they make normal bikes as well.

As it happens There's one on eBay now, described as a touring bike but not specc'ed as such.

Innovative chainstay design cunningly adds frame weight while reducing strength in the name of design. May be at its best parked on the decking!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Innovative chainstay design cunningly adds frame weight while reducing strength in the name of design. May be at its best parked on the decking!
Yes, I shuddered as I saw it!

As I said earlier, I think these car makers' bikes go mainly to their car owners, that was certainly true of the Porsche ones, and drivers of those high end cars are less likely to be knowledgable cyclists.