Nasty pothole

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Lancashire county council criticised for not fixing pothole blamed for cyclist’s death
Coroner says Harry Colledge, 84, would probably be alive if council had acted on warnings about 87-metre-long crack in the road

“Car-centric” council missed massive pothole that killed 84-year-old cyclist because “primary focus” was to identify “dangers to cars”, not bikes
The local authority is also accused of “defying logic” by claiming that the crack – visible on Google Maps since 2009 – must have closed “on its own” prior to an inspection months before Harry Colledge’s death

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Some one has a cushy job at that council drawing lines, I bet they are finished by lunch and playing COD by 1pm.

Our council has an online reporting system via a sign up or not portal, it's not great but better than nowt, the last request I put in took 6 months to fix. One during Covid took a week to fix and is still in good steed today, they resurfaced the road just after the fix so it is still old road I will screen shot google maps.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Too numerous to mention, reporting them all would become a part-time admin job. Fortunately I can see potholes at night too, because of my three bright headlights. Those pictured above have beeen there for months despite reports, I can't possibly be the only one reporting. They eventually repaired around the grate in the pic below, but left the road surface untouched. Are they rationing tarmac? When there's a set of potholes, they fill one and leave the rest! Box ticked, I guess...

(a still captured from video. These aren't deep, rattle rather than roll...)

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
That reminds me, one where I do not frequent. Tbf I assumed it would have been filled or repaved by now, terrible road.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
You've really just got to keep your eyes open on the road ahead and avoid where you can. At night maybe ride familiar roads where you know where the worst are.

Lets face it, potholes are a fact of life in tory Britain.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They wouldn't be much better under a Starma Britain.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robert44

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Mass in running order graphic (illuminating) from ICCT European Vehicle Marketing Statistics Pocketbook.

The recent progression of road potholes is astonishing - they are appearing everywhere. Also general degradation of surfaces.

Larger SUV and EVs and LGVs obviously to blame, but is there something else?

Perhaps UK Gov mandated changes to asphalt composition?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you drove a 200 ton tank down the road going 140mph good luck following it :p

now if they made the roads the same as runways for massive planes it would last longer but no profit in it as not renewable.

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
They wouldn't be much better under a Starma Britain.
No, no money left for such projects since the tories have siphoned it all off to their mates and donors

Always the same after a few successive Tory governments. Labour comes in and theres sod all left in the kitty.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
potholes are a fact of life in tory Britain.
Starma Britain
Ooh lets make this thread a dividing political one, that'll make a change.

Yes either or, it really doesn't matter anymore, I'll vote green or draw a phallic doodle on my ballet paper, although pondering the subject, I feel that we might not get a vote if a crisis comes up, lets say a war or something. I will have to find my voter supressing ID first though.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
ha 50yrs ago teens were protesting against nuclear weapon proliferation (for what good it did us) , today potholes..hopefully they will have better luck.