Neodrive conversion kit

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
Peter that is correct anywhere between 549 to 749 . Neodrive supply bike manufactures and the hub system is engineered to a very high spec. Similar to the heinzman german system

Cycle Race in East Sheen are a dealer for Neodrive , they are always trying to source amazing stuff , they do the Pendix drive system too and they have there own branded Brompton kit, you have to call to enquire about the kits as they mainly focus on selling e-cargo and ebikes

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
10kg for a kit these days is absurd. All that weight on the back of the bike will make it unstable. That Ebike Tips test shows it going up steep trails. I can't believe that it's any good at that. They talk about its high torque, but with all that weight on the back, high torque would make it flip on steep hills. Direct drive motors give you regen, which nobody wants. They're terrible to ride without power. I can't see that kit being very popular. The price isn't bad, so might be OK for commuting or generally running around.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Seems like the forum has gained a new troll, posting in quite a few threads now about the same outlet and motor type.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
True regarding weight distribution - rather than overall weight imo. If I was in the market for one of these kits (which I'm not having bought the Decathlon 500e), I think I would only fit it to a lightweight 700c/27.5" bike and try to relocate the battery as low as possible within the frame angle. Still it's a remarkably low price for the kit and the review weight of 23kg is about the same as my Decathlon (which is I agree more than I would like). Peter

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That system looks similar to the Bionx system that was moderately popular in Germany, but never took off in the UK, mainly because of the cost and the locked comms system that meant you had to find a dealer whenever you had a problem. There's no mention of maintenance in that review nor on the Neodrive site, but I'd take an educated guess that it uses CANbus, like the Bionx. According to the manual, if you get a warning signal on the LCD, you have to take it to a dealer. Also, you get a symbol come up when service is due, which tells you that you have to take your bike to a dealer. I can see those things being a big problem for some people unless the guys on the german pedelecs forum hack into it and find a way of getting user access.

Like the Bionx, the controller will be in the motor, and it looks like the motor splits the same way between the spokes, so you have to completely de-spoke the motor to get at anything inside.

In summary, if it were £549, it wouldn't be bad as long as it didn't go wrong. If it did, you'd chuck it and buy a new kit; however, the cheapest I could find it was £2200, which is ridiculous and makes it a complete non-starter. Woosh can stop panicking now.

Reactions: Woosh

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
10kg for a kit these days is absurd. All that weight on the back of the bike will make it unstable. That Ebike Tips test shows it going up steep trails. I can't believe that it's any good at that. They talk about its high torque, but with all that weight on the back, high torque would make it flip on steep hills. Direct drive motors give you regen, which nobody wants. They're terrible to ride without power. I can't see that kit being very popular. The price isn't bad, so might be OK for commuting or generally running around.
I guess premium bike and cargo bike brands based in Europe seem to be using Neodrives , so they cant be all wrong ,especially there customer base. Just my opinion I just rather steer clear of Chinese stuff.

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
Seems like the forum has gained a new troll, posting in quite a few threads now about the same outlet and motor type.
Unfortunately you are so wrong , just giving a recommendation , live local in Sheen so the store is go to for people of sheen I thought the forum maybe interested in some alternative options.

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
There is another system which really good which is manufactured by BMW sister company Mahle -.x35 and x20

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It would be great if you could post links to shops where we can buy those products.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I guess premium bike and cargo bike brands based in Europe seem to be using Neodrives , so they cant be all wrong ,especially there customer base. Just my opinion I just rather steer clear of Chinese stuff.
It's not about being wrong or right - more about value for money and appropriate for needs. Would you spend over £2000 on a conversion kit, when you can buy a complete bike with a Bosch motor system for the same price? What advantage does it bring you? My kit would cost about £700 today, and it has given stirling service for nine years, and it meets my needs perfectly. Even if that Neodrive kit was the same price, I wouldn't go near it due to its weight, it's poor performance when pedalling without power and its lack of fixability. We had no end of people on this forum wanting to know how to fix their Bionx kits when they got an error code on the LCD. In fact it was a disproportionate amount considering the low numbers in use. All we could do was tell them to find the nearest dealer, when there wasn't one. The Neodrive kit seems to be a rip-off of the Bionx.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Peter that is correct anywhere between 549 to 749 . Neodrive supply bike manufactures and the hub system is engineered to a very high spec.
Can you show us where we can get such a kit for less than £2000? My Google must be playing up at the moment.

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
Can you show us where we can get such a kit for less than £2000? My Google must be playing up at the moment.

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
It's not about being wrong or right - more about value for money and appropriate for needs. Would you spend over £2000 on a conversion kit, when you can buy a complete bike with a Bosch motor system for the same price? What advantage does it bring you? My kit would cost about £700 today, and it has given stirling service for nine years, and it meets my needs perfectly. Even if that Neodrive kit was the same price, I wouldn't go near it due to its weight, it's poor performance when pedalling without power and its lack of fixability. We had no end of people on this forum wanting to know how to fix their Bionx kits when they got an error code on the LCD. In fact it was a disproportionate amount considering the low numbers in use. All we could do was tell them to find the nearest dealer, when there wasn't one. The Neodrive kit seems to be a rip-off of the Bionx.
German engineering pedigree ripping of a company Bionix which is based in Canada and went bankrupt . pretty laughable. The UK unfortunately only has exposure to the cheap chinese kits like swytch and others .

Lot of people prefer not ride a Chinese slave ,, when they are that cheap someone is not being paid for their work. There are UK manufacturers of ebike kits and you will see the real price of kit is 1500 plus.

Bosa

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2023
Bike brands who use Neodrive

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That looks like a scam website. I think I'll get one of thos £59 Sur Rons that I showed a couple of weeks ago. They seem better value, and they're made by Canadians. Canadians were making decent ebikes long before the Germans.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There is no single review of Ebike outlet on Trust pilot. Do you use neodrive ebike yourself?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Lot of people prefer not ride a Chinese slave ,, when they are that cheap someone is not being paid for their work. There are UK manufacturers of ebike kits and you will see the real price of kit is 1500 plus.
If the 'real' price of an eBike kit is £1500+ then how can the UK based eBike Outlet sell a German made kit for £549 ?