New Cyclamatic

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that's five niches. Are you sure you are not chasing after too many rabbits?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that must be a very large package. We thought our cartons are already very big, only Tuffnells will take them. Which courier do you use?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Tufnells too, despite the odd lost bike and damage to cartons they seem to be about the best.

From our next container though we are bringing in the bikes 95% complete. Just turn and lock the handlebars and add the pedals. Despite the 25% reduction in container capacity and increased carton cost we are are convinced damage during transit will be minimised and our dealer's will save about 20/30 minutes per bike preparation. It's the way Riese and Müller have always worked. We are working to make our dealer's life as straight forward as possible.

Last edited:

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Now AMPS and WOOSH are kicking back and forward, like they used to when TREX posted.

Can we have TREX back as you still argue if he is on the forum or not and I really liked him on here.

Having a bicycle designer on the forum is a plus and he seemed really nice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The point cyclebuddy made at the start of this diversion is simple: when the market grows in size, larger companies get interested.
You know what large multinationals like Hero and Pon do. They kill small manufacturers
The only thing Hero killed when they last tried here was their own e-bike company, Urban Mover, never to be seen again. Their whole effort was a total shambles, the most incompetent I'd ever seen in this trade.

As for the other big'uns, Tesco have tried twice and lost enthusiasm each time, US company IZIP have repeatedly tried and have disappeared from our market for some while now. Trek's recent attempt using BionX was a failure. Halfords have messed up several times with e-bikes, first by foolishly using the SRAM Sparc motor and then taking a long time to learn from their mistakes, including their support being hopeless.

Of course some of these aren't the real giants, but they are as big as the UK market might stand at present. For the real giants to succeed needs our market to be like The Netherlands one, as has been acknowledged.

But to match the penetration of The Netherlands market means selling over 35 e-bikes for each 1 sold at present. Does anyone think that is realistic within a short time frame, considering that in the 10 year life of this forum the market hasn't managed to double.

Yes, one day the really big groups might take almost all the business, but given the small size and slow growth of the UK e-bike market, that looks like being a long way off yet, if ever.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just turn and lock the handlebars and add the pedals. It's the way Riese and Müller have always worked. We are working to make our dealer's life as straight forward as possible.
Rose supply their bikes to the customer in the same way.

It also appears to obviate the need for loads of plastic foam and bubble wrap.

I've seen Cannondale bikes arrive at my local bike shop, knocked down to make the box as small as possible.

But that does make for a cable tie and packaging fest, and it takes about 30 minutes to unpack and build the bike.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
just to get back on topic. I wonder if anyone knows what motor is used and what they are like power wise. May give Sports HQ a call

D

Deleted member 4366

It looks like a Bafang SWX02 - freewheel version as it's 7 speed. I'd guess at a 15 amp controller, so power would be OK. 18A is possible.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It looks like a Bafang SWX02 - freewheel version as it's 7 speed. I'd guess at a 15 amp controller, so power would be OK. 18A is possible.
can't be, d8veh.
You can easily compare the motor's diameter against the freewheel's largest cog. The Cyclamatic's motor looks like 120mm, the SWX02 has 140mm diameter.

Here is an SWX02 motor on the Woosh Santana2. You see the 6 screws clearly on the motor lid. The motor's diameter is about 25mm larger than the largest cog (34T).

This is the motor on the Cyclamatic:

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know if it is, it does not have Bafang on it.
But one thing though, the new Bafang 'G' motors are real nice and I'd say quieter than the SWX generation.

D

Deleted member 4366

I don't know if it is, it does not have Bafang on it.
But one thing though, the new Bafang 'G' motors are real nice and I'd say quieter than the SWX generation.
Not entirely without problems though. I've seen a few front motors that were tight. Inside were two shims instead of the normal one. when I removed the extra shim, they ran freely. I've had two with worn out bearings after a few miles as well. They also had two shims in, so watch out for that.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
That makes the CX1 version at £449.99 + £3.99 delivery, very appealing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That makes the CX1 version at £449.99 + £3.99 delivery, very appealing.
May be. If you can only have one bike, would you buy it though?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
May be. If you can only have one bike, would you buy it though?
An older version Cyclamatic was my first electric bike, so maybe I'm being a little biased here, but yes.

It was only bought to be used as a getting to work back-up, but I ended up riding it for leisure. I rode it on terrains it wasn't really designed for, and it held up pretty well for such a cheap bike. £420 after 20% discount IIRC.