New Light runs direct from battery.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I've ordered one, my voltage regulator which was powering a T6 Magicshine melted and destroyed the light at the same time....let's see how this one performs. I hope it's as bright as a single t6...I do a lot of miles in the dark on very bad roads.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Thats why i'm reluctant to use regulators unless i am sure there is good protection circuitry to prevent them taking out the very gadget they were powering. Not found one that i consider ok for powering my phone from a 54V battery yet.
Which voltage regulator were you using benjy so we know which ones to avoid.

On a side issue, i couldn't find where on paypal to add a message for the colour when i ordered it. Before i knew it, it's ordered and no way of editing......damn!
Bet a blue one arrives :0(

Last edited:

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Thats why i'm reluctant to use regulators unless i am sure there is good protection circuitry to prevent them taking out the very gadget they were powering. Not found one that i consider ok for powering my phone from 54V yet.

On a side issue, i couldn't find where on paypal to add a message for the colour when i ordered it. Before i knew it, it's ordered and no way of editing......damn!
I bought one from Lyen when I ordered my contoller from him; see here:

Endless-sphere.com • View topic - DC to DC Multi-Purpose Voltage Converter $14.98

DCDC converter supposed to be rated up to 2.5A but it only lasted a few trips before it went bang and blew the driver in the light. The Magicshine single T6 can't be drawing anything like 2.5A.

Lyen sent me another one but I don't really have any use for it as I don't want to use it on another light obviously. I have been using a new Magicshine light with separate battery pack which is fine, but I'd like to not have to mess around charging another battery every day.

Re the Paypal message....I had to look twice to find it; it's not very clear. You have to click on add message before the payment review page. Fingers crossed for you; perhaps worth messaging them through eBay and paypal to try and avoid getting a blue one!

Ben

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
I have a P7 led torch and that draws 2A, i wouldn't be surprised if the T6 was more than 2.5A, nevertheless if the dcdc converter blows then it short circuits to the input voltage and that is not good (as you found out). If i get a blue one i'll add a 555 timer circuit and have some fun :0)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Thats why i'm reluctant to use regulators unless i am sure there is good protection circuitry to prevent them taking out the very gadget they were powering. Not found one that i consider ok for powering my phone from a 54V battery yet.

Just send the seller an email through Ebay, I have done that before when I forgotten to add a message.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Re the Paypal message....I had to look twice to find it; it's not very clear. You have to click on add message before the payment review page. Fingers crossed for you; perhaps worth messaging them through eBay and paypal to try and avoid getting a blue one!
Is there a way to message through PayPal once transaction is complete ? I had same and tried to find a message functionality without success. Wound up e-mailing all the 3 addresses on the PayPal transaction confirmation quoting PayPal transaction ref in hope one of them gets through. They do say not to message through Ebay which makes me suspect the front-end sales portal is not linked to back-end supply chain (!).

Bit of a hole if you can't communicate effectively with supplier but maybe they will pick up and action the e-mail.

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
My bike light draws up to 10 watts from the main battery, but only when it's on high-beam, normally it draws under 4 watts with back light + 60 of the 360 front LEDs on - meaning even if I rode around with the light on full brightness I doubt it would have any noticable effect on power/distance.

As for contacting the seller on eBay, they removed the "contact seller" link on the auction listings (yet another dumb 'enhancement' from eBay) but if you're on the listing and you want to contact them, click on their username or feedback score and the "contact member" link is there, or use the link on your Purchase History page.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ very interested too .. be great to have a front and rear set running off the bike battery then I have a full set of built-in with rechargeables being back-ups or vv, or additional lighting. I got a nice response from the supplier of the front one linked via the OP about 10 days ago in response to e-bay message confirming white light would be shipped within 48hours so hoping it will turn up sometime later this week or next. :)

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
Cheers Frank, I think I've seen those. Maybe some sort of red filter or red paint could be used to make the rear light? Maybe sticking that repair plastic stuff over it and hopefully not too bright ?

As per Alex, I also had an email from the sellers but over the 'notes' issue, they seem helpful.

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
My light arrived today, as per the OP eBay link. Good value and looks tough enough to cope. I'm going to put a trace of thread lock on the bezel ring and will have to lengthen the cable,fit a fuse and possible a switch. I think I'm going to just use a normal back light as the battery lasts forever in that one.

johnamon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2011
I ordered a couple of these and run a 3x cree XML beast from 1 of them :cool:

Stepdown Converter

Please note that the heatsinks get warm, and I therefore think these units will last longer than the lyen ones which appear to use the same chip without heatsinks (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
I ordered a couple of these and run a 3x cree XML beast from 1 of them :cool:

Stepdown Converter

Please note that the heatsinks get warm, and I therefore think these units will last longer than the lyen ones which appear to use the same chip without heatsinks (please correct me if I'm wrong)
Just fitted the front light, it's got Ali clamps as per advice above so I've put a bit of rubber on the bar to protect it and alloy lamp to be moved up and down as it's really bright.

Thanks the link johnamon, I might relent and go for a dc dc converter if I give up on the battery back light.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can make a nice mount for your light with a bit of alluminium sheet. If you fix it like this under the stem, it leaves your handlebars clear and it can't be nicked if they even notice that it's there.

Last edited by a moderator:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
^^ was only today out looking for aluminium sheeting at a local engineering firm. They recommended I try the local scrapyard as apparently they often have loads of offcuts. Am slowly being taught the ways of doing things without shelling out top retail for everything :p :).

d8veh, I like that bracket arrangement a lot - very neat and also frees up space on the handlebars. What thickness of sheeting do you use (and would it be the same as for a top tube bracket for the battery box) ?

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
That looks tidy, I'm owed some shed time so I'll have a go. The lamp is anodised shiny natural Ali so sprayed black it may have an even lower profile for thieves

D

Deleted member 4366

I did it with 1mm sheet, but I think 1.6mm would be better because mine flaps a bit. I drilled a hole and then used a Dremmel clone to open up the hole to the size of the steerer tube. If you haven't got one, you need to get one otherwise you won't be able to call yourself an engineer. The Aldi/Lidl ones are pretty cheap when they do them. You could of course do it the olld-fashioned way with a file.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
My 'connect direct to battery light' turned up today.......and it was white one, and not blue thankfully:0)

The light is typical chinese stuff with a poor fixing from the light to the bracket. There is a grub screw thats tightens down on the main body so you can adjust it..sort of. The three leds have their own individual lens and are fixed to a PCB which has heat sink compound to the main body.

Eager to get it connected and wow! it's incredibly bright. My battery is about 52V and the light draws 0.180A at that voltage (nearly 10W). I cannot imagine needing anything brighter, in fact i think it's too bright. I'm going to rig up a 3 position switch for off/low/high because car drivers are almost certainly going to be blinded by this thing and i don't want to attract the wrong sort of attention.
After experimenting i found that 1-2kohm power resistor reduces the intensity to a normal bright led light (1-2W)you would find on any bicycle.
I'll see if i can get some photos of it working tomorrow.