Newbie advice - Conversion Kit for bike with Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Porkchop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2018
Hi
Forgive my lack of knowledge here, its my first stab at electric bikes.

Initially I was looking to buy a complete bike through my employers scheme (Halfords Cycle2Work), but due to their admin and commission not many company accept their scheme.

However, I have a Giant Talon 2.5 ( https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/talon-2-5-2010 ) unused in the garage and I'd like to have a stab at converting it. When I've been looking around all of the kits seem to come with brake levers for mechanical brakes, are there solutions out there for hydraulic?

I'd like to keep the price down, I don't need the best spec, my commute is only 10 miles each way although there are a number of hills (12-15% inclines). I like the idea of having the option to use throttle only as well as the assisted peddles. I'd feel confident installing a front or rear hub motor (assuming they'd fit).

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated
Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forget a front hub as they mess up the forks and make the front heavy, either opt for rear cst hub or a Bafang/8fun BBS01B crank drive.
Hydr brakes aren't such a big issue as it only needs a magnet placed so that a simple sensor can register it.

What's your budget ?

Reactions: Porkchop

Porkchop

Jun 26, 2018
Cheaper the better really, probably a max of around £400 including the battery. Is that realistic?

Any more than that and I should be able to get a complete bike through my work scheme after the tax (Ebike direct have offered their Greenedge CS2 Electric Bike for £850 under the scheme which will bring the price down to £578 after tax)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
400 is barely realistic, you can get a hub kit for 180/190 but 200 for battery isn't going to be great.

Porkchop

Jun 26, 2018
Ah ok, like I said I'm new to this.
What would be the minimum I'd be looking at for something half reliable?
(I was basing the budget on the Woosh website, where they have rear wheel kits starting at £469 - thought there'd be cheap Chinese import options to bring the price down a little)

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hello Porkcchop,

The Talon is a very good donor bike. If you visit a bike shop, you'll see how much they charge for electric bikes half as good.
A rear geared hub kit gives you better traction on wet surface or gravel.
Your Talon has 3x8 speed, 8-speed cassette and hydraulic brakes, you need the XF08C kit and stick on hydraulic brake sensors.

Paultr was in a similar situation, first build.
He fitted his Cannondale with the same kit, he posted his thoughts here:

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/thoughts-on-my-first-e-bike-build.31584/

Budget:
XF08C with 13AH downtube battery: £499
Hydraulic brake sensors: £23
Total: £522.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-121-xf08c-13ah/xf08c-rear-hub-kit-with-13ah-battery

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-196-hdbs/pair-of-hydraulic-brake-sensors-for-hub-kits

Reactions: Porkchop

Porkchop

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks woosh, that gives me food for thought. Theoretically my talon should be a better base bike and lighter than (for example) the greenedge.
Will that kit (and sensor) include everything I need or is there a chance there'll be non compatible parts that will need replaced?

Ashley750

Pedelecer
May 12, 2018
Kenilworth
I have recently fitted the Woosh kit to my old Raleigh, and would recommend it. My thread on the build is at http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/woosh-xf08-cst-rear-hub-kit-on-2001-raleigh-stonefly.31517/

My daily commute is 7.5 miles each way, and on level 5 or 4 assist, I reckon I could probably get about 60 miles from the 13AH battery, although I have been recharging after 45.

Only problem, having fitted the Woosh kit, I've carried on spending........
  • brake & gear cables
  • new gear cassette & chain
  • trekking handle bars
  • panniers
  • cycling jacket, shorts & shoes
  • lock
  • water bottle & cage
and now I'm looking at Brooks B17 saddles!!

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Will that kit (and sensor) include everything I need or is there a chance there'll be non compatible parts that will need replaced?
you should buy an extra HG32 8-speed cassette or similar, extra cost is about £10 and saves you time to extract the old cassette from the old wheel.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-altus-hg31-8-speed-mtb-cassette/
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Acera-CS-HG41-8-Speed-Cassette-Sprocket-11-34T-Lock-Ring-HG-Hyperglide/191563504870?

Tool-wise, you'll need a crank extractor and bottom bracket tool, something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MTB-Bike-Bicycle-Cycle-Crank-Wheel-Puller-Remover-Repair-Extractor-Tool-Set-New/172392950645
You will also need a drill, to install one or two extra M5 rivnuts (supplied with the kits) to secure the battery, 6mm or 6.5mm drill bit. Other than that, all the parts and p&p are included.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Hi
Forgive my lack of knowledge here, its my first stab at electric bikes.

Initially I was looking to buy a complete bike through my employers scheme (Halfords Cycle2Work), but due to their admin and commission not many company accept their scheme.

However, I have a Giant Talon 2.5 ( https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/talon-2-5-2010 ) unused in the garage and I'd like to have a stab at converting it. When I've been looking around all of the kits seem to come with brake levers for mechanical brakes, are there solutions out there for hydraulic?

I'd like to keep the price down, I don't need the best spec, my commute is only 10 miles each way although there are a number of hills (12-15% inclines). I like the idea of having the option to use throttle only as well as the assisted peddles. I'd feel confident installing a front or rear hub motor (assuming they'd fit).

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated
Thanks
Electron bikes put hydraulic brake lever sensors in with their bbshd kits. £ 1025 with a 52v 17.5ah Ga cells or 15ah 30q cells.U get the dpc14 colour Lcd an gear sensor in there too.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You would need to look at bikes around the £1500 mark to match the spec of your Giant with a rear hub kit. Will make a nice bike. One of the many advantages of fitting a kit, including Woosh's, is the parts are very easily and cheaply replaced should anything get damaged or broken out of warranty.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie and Woosh

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
From what I have noticed Woosh never seems to sleep [replies on here at almost warp speed]and seems willing to help any one with advice and repairs not just on there own products and after visiting the shop I caught the ebike bug :D and following there advice started my build

Porkchop

Jun 26, 2018
Thanks everyone, I think I'm sold on the conversion .
Also, not having an extra bike in the house should keep the other half happy.

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
I can thoroughly recommend the Woosh kit as recommended above. It was also my first conversion and the more I get to know about this world and the more I ride my bike the more certain I am that I made the right decision. OK you may save a few bob by finding the bits separately but as I have remarked on a couple of posts the support you get is more than worth the difference. It is not a hard process and enjoyable if you take your time. I also have hydraulic disk brakes and Tony provided a sensor with magnets as mentioned above. Just one point about them and that is if you have a larger than normal (160mm) rotor then mention it when you order as that might be an issue.

EDIT: Oh yes, I meant to say that you are correct in wanting a manual throttle (in this case a thumb throttle) as it is extremely useful as you get going. You can set off as normal by pushing down on one of your pedals or whatever your style is but I have found it great to be able to gain momentum (& balance) by just easing the motor on with the throttle. I have looked at lots of e-bikes in the mainstream bike shops from all the major makers and have not found one throttle, just the pedal sensors.

Last edited:

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I agree with Paultr that a full kit from a reliable seller who will give help and assistance if needed is worth the extra money you layout. I have just finished putting a bike together with parts from seven different sources, five of which were in China, only because I knew EXACTLY what I was buying. This is after 3 years of a mixture of building, fixing, breaking, messing around with electric bikes and lots and lots of research and advise.

carracer

Jun 29, 2018
Derbyshire
Forget a front hub as they mess up the forks and make the front heavy, either opt for rear cst hub or a Bafang/8fun BBS01B crank drive.
Hydr brakes aren't such a big issue as it only needs a magnet placed so that a simple sensor can register it.

What's your budget ?
Bafang BBS01B When you buy the kit what else do you need to buy apart form a battery

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
Bafang BBS01B When you buy the kit what else do you need to buy apart form a battery
I am not qualified to advise as much as others but if you buy from Woosh they do kits that include batteries.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit
You will also need the brake sensors as discussed above if you have hydraulic disk brakes. Also you will need tools. I do not like knocking products but I made the mistake of buying an own brand crank extractor tool from a well known chain store that sells car parts as well as bike stuff. It was horrific and not fit for purpose as it just bent as soon as I applied even modest pressure. As with all tools it rarely pays to get the cheapest.

EDIT: oops, beaten to it by Woosh as I was typing my reply. You have to be fast to beat them ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Paultr

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2015
You do not say how much experience you have but when I installed my rear hub kit I found the Park Tools blue maintenance book a useful if not strictly necessary aid.
I also bought a good quality 1/4" drive torque wrench and a really nice little 1/4" drive socket set by Bahco with additional hex bit sockets.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depending on your use and riding strength, a programming cable to make some minor setting changes as often they are supplied in tame mode, usually to prevent motor/controller abuse but also to maximise range..
Cost about £20.