News: New Forest Electric Bike Rally

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Did the 905SE make an appearance? There seems to be a lack of discussion (or was it all done on the day), what wee the highlights of the day for people (David, please post when you have the new links to the pictures)?

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It wasn't ready in time for the show John, so only a cosmetic mock-up of the standard 905e bike was displayed.

No doubt David Miall will give more information when it comes to light.

My interest was mainly in meeting people, but many enjoyed the stunt riding demos from Team Hybrid and some of the other super powered stuff like the Tidal Force bike

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
We'll have a full report up tomorrow (Richard is away for a couple of days and he has my notes!) although I'll upload some images later this afternoon.

We had a great day out, got to meet lots of people and some forum members - Flecc, Flying Kiwi, Daniel and others.

I also had a ride on the TidalForce bike which was amazingly quick and easily hit 30mph with pedalling. A shade higher than 200W I would imagine ;)

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
I got there a bit late, I was with Steve (the guy with KMX trike). Was a bit dissapointed the rally was cancelled as it would have been fun, would have also liked to meet more people and thier bikes (not sure who I met and who I didn't as our internet ID were not so easily visable :D) but people seemed to disperse fairly soon after the rally. On the upside there was some really nice bikes there that I wasn't expecting to see, like the Dirk Monkey and some of the Team Hybrid bikes was great. There was also a race round the car park which was fun:cool: .

A big thanks to Russ and Doug whoever else helped put this event on.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi everyone,

we've put up a small report with some pictures on the main site here. Unfortunately I edited it yesterday to correct a mistake and accidentally deleted it! So after having to spend another couple of hours to re-write it from memory, please excuse any glaring errors!

On the day, an ITV crew were on hand to film the event. The footage has now been uploaded to the ITVLocal Meridian site so if you would like to see what happened on the day, please visit this link. A number of us were interviewed by the crew and you'll have to excuse my ramblings in the video, thankfully they've limited my waffling :D

Well done to Doug/David for organising the event and we are looking forward to the next one at the Sustainability Show in October!

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Cheers Russ, nice write-up: thanks for your time & trouble & the ITV link too, and well done to all the organisers, contributors & visitors for putting on and attending the event :).

Stuart.

Baboonking

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Watford
A number of us were interviewed by the crew and you'll have to excuse my ramblings in the video, thankfully they've limited my waffling :D
You sounded quite succinct to me, the wonders of a good editing team;) .

Thankfully they edited down my 10 minute of gibberish into something reasonably sensible. I'm particularly glad they didn't include my ramblings on the middle east which in retrospect made no sense at all:eek:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I'm thankful for skilful editing then in that case :eek: :D ;). I think you all came across very well, and great to see footage of well-experienced or seasoned ebikers speaking in a relaxed confident way of the gains to be had: it comes across as an established, new & exciting mode of travel, rather than an "experimental" & unorthodox prototype for "future travel" as its portrayed by some media, and gives the impression to me of "look at the fun & benefits you're missing out on, folks!". Good job guys :).

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
An attempt was made to persuade me to do an interview but I steadfastly refused as I know what a trap they can be. The editing can also be very unsympathetic!

Papa Pro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2007
London
groups.google.com
Hello from Team HYbrid

Hi all,

We would just like to thank everyone who organised this Rally, especially Doug & David. We thoroughly enjoyed the day and appreciated the pure enthusiasm felt from all. I was also very impressed with the attitude from fellow colleagues who made everyone feel at home.

Richard, who I believe runs this site also is a hero. I did not know about you guys before the Rally and was quite impressed with the live web link, and now to find this place. Very humbling.

I had one slight worry that the TidalForce would cause a stir at the rally though. Thankfully, everyone was pure enthusiasts and welcomed us all from TeamHybrid with open arms. The spirit on the day was exceptional and as my first e-bike event, I was not sure what to expect. My worries were dashed after a short chat to Doug. What a nice guy! In fact the attitude from all was commendable and in the future we would like to contribute more if possible. So please let us know if we can help out on any events!

Glen (Our Engineer) was riding the Stunt Bike and I need to meet him in secret for some lessons :) Maybe we can train a few members from here to do some proper demonstrations at these events. I think they go down so well. But we could do something very special if we put our heads together. Sorry about my part in the demo. My rubbish skids were laughable. This does not mean you are aloud to laugh though! Honestly, some people!

Anyway, I’m sure we will have some great discussions and meetings to come. My philosophy (as I run a forum too) is to keep all our e-rides on the road a support each other no matter what. This means all of us sticking together and NEVER allowing anything to get in the way of promoting cycling. That’s my main purpose in all this. It’s a business to some and to others like me a hobby although I work in this business too.

So thanks to all for a great day and look forward to the next one,

Cheers,
Richard Papa, Mark & the rubbish stunt rider Glen, who never made me look doopid!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Papa Pro, I agree with all the sentiments you express and would like to take this opportunity to thank Team Hybrid and stunt riders for giving all the extra entertainment, very welcome indeed.

And I never laughed at you once, honest! :rolleyes:

P.S. Team Hybrid have had many mentions and recommendations in the forum as a source for Crystalite, Puma etc., so I'm sure you'll feel as welcome as you are.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When you go into "Reply" Richard, type your text, highlight the part you wish to be a link, then click the Blue Globe icon above. You'll get a box to paste the link into.

For photos, go to your web image, right click it and select Copy Image Location from the context menu. Then return to the Reply box, position the cursor below the text where you want the photo to appear and click the yellow mountain scene icon above. Again you'll get a box to paste in the link.

Then submit the reply. Like this! :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Welcome Papa Pro

Hi Richard and welcome to the forum.

David Henshaw from A to B magazine is publishing some of the stunt photos in this month's A to B and is keen to speak to you to get some details and names.

You can contact him through atob@atob.org.uk

Best regards David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
How many Cameras

Just seen the ITV report.

They say having a TV camera pointed at you adds 10 lbs, I wonder how many cameras they had on me!! :D

Talk about rambling! I must have talked gibberish for about 15 minutes and they managed to get the bit about Nano Technology batteries ...... bloody hell!!! :( I know little enough about ordinary Lithium Ion!

Never mind, lets all save our blushes, although we were competing with a huge event in New Milton I think the people who mattered were there and it was a great step to-wards getting the industry working together.

Looking forward to seeing every one at the O2 in London this October.

Best regards David

Papa Pro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2007
London
groups.google.com
Big thanks Dave!

We also have a whole page in T3 coming very soon :) can't believe how well that is going.

We must bang our heads together and do somthing! A proper demo would be a good idea and we have an expert to tech us some tricks. So if anyone wants to get involved is assemeling the very best British Stunt riders to demo the events then please let us know. This could be fantastic for all!!! Would be good to do somthing with A to B too and Richard. I'm sure we could ROCK the nation and educate them all.

Cheers,

Richard Papa

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The O2 event

Hi Papa

Our next event is the big one! It is a part of The Sustainability Show www.thesustaianabilityshow.com at the O2 (Old Millennium Dome) which Doug and I are the organisers.

www.theo2.com

We have some great exhibitors including solar, wind, and wave energy companies, electric car companies and loads more. We are planning an electric vehicle demonstration on the Saturday of the event and would welcome a demo if you are interested?

We are still working on the ebike course and everyone from padelec will get a free entry to the rally.

We have been given permission for 50 bikes and have 10 registered already. So if you want to enter any of your bike please let us know ASAP.

Wisper will be exhibiting and if any retailer or manufacturer requires space 2 x 3m stands are available at £1,800.00 (usually £2,400.00).

The O2 is expecting over 80,000 visitors a day for the three days of the event so it is a wonderful opportunity to get the message out to the public.

We are spending just over £250,000 on advertising for the event which includes a 16pp The Times on Saturday supplement, advertising is very expensive at £16,000 a page! But if anyone has any editorial we would be pleased to submit it.

I am going to start a new thread with this.

Best regards David