Nice idea but...

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Being posh in Falkirk doesn't make you posh elsewhere. It just means you can count to 20 without taking your shoes off. ;)

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
I've lived in Scotland all my life and never once heard it called that.
How about this from Wikipedia:

“The Butcher's Apron is a pejorative term for the flag, common among Irish republicans. In 2006, Sandra White, a Member of the Scottish Parliament, caused a furore when the term was used in a press release under her name. It was later blamed on the actions of a researcher, who resigned yet claimed that the comment had been approved by White.”

Or this from Indymedia UK:

“Britain with brutal and violent oppression colonized over 57 countries mostly in the 16th/17th centuries. None of the countries asked to be colonized and most of them had to resort to bloody and violent insurgency to drive the British out and gain their freedom/independence back.

[In Scotland we had Culloden when “Stinking Billy” aka William Duke of Cumberland butchered the Jacobite forces including those lying wounded, and then rampaged through the Highlands in an orgy of ethnic cleansing killing and maiming young and old.]

To the majority of those colonized, the Union Jack was known as the 'Butchers Apron'. Though Britain boasted the sun never set on the British Empire, it would be more true to say, 'the sun never set and the blood of innocents never dried.”

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
How about this from Wikipedia:

“The Butcher's Apron is a pejorative term for the flag, common among Irish republicans. In 2006, Sandra White, a Member of the Scottish Parliament, caused a furore when the term was used in a press release under her name. It was later blamed on the actions of a researcher, who resigned yet claimed that the comment had been approved by White.”

Or this from Indymedia UK:

“Britain with brutal and violent oppression colonized over 57 countries mostly in the 16th/17th centuries. None of the countries asked to be colonized and most of them had to resort to bloody and violent insurgency to drive the British out and gain their freedom/independence back.

[In Scotland we had Culloden when “Stinking Billy” aka William Duke of Cumberland butchered the Jacobite forces including those lying wounded, and then rampaged through the Highlands in an orgy of ethnic cleansing killing and maiming young and old.]

To the majority of those colonized, the Union Jack was known as the 'Butchers Apron'. Though Britain boasted the sun never set on the British Empire, it would be more true to say, 'the sun never set and the blood of innocents never dried.”
Well ... that has spoiled an otherwise lovely day!

Can we move on now, please? :( (the 21st Century would be nice)

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Well ... that has spoiled an otherwise lovely day!

Can we move on now, please? :( (the 21st Century would be nice)
I agree. I only intervened because of all the references to the Union Jack and to let those importers who plaster their bikes with the logo that there are (to coin a phrase) two sides to that piece of cloth.

As for the 21st Century, were no Union Jacks displayed during and after the invasion of Iraq (a rhetorical question to which no reply is expected!)?

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
How about this from Wikipedia:.”
I stand by my original post. I've lived here all my life, 54 years, and never heard anyone ever use it. if you've heard anyone up here use it you must be drinking in some strange pubs.

Anyway, that's all I'll be posting on this subject.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
So, anyway: does Sir Clive Sinclair put the Union Flag on any of his products? That would redress the balance...

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
... As for the 21st Century, were no Union Jacks displayed during and after the invasion of Iraq (a rhetorical question to which no reply is expected!)?
Touché ... :)

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Sorry meant RS2000 mk2. I'm sure it says Made in Germany somewhere on it. Sorry to get off the point again.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
At least we gave them Christianity and an outlet for their slaves. So not all bad.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
Dyson moving his manufacturing to China made perfect economic sense. What makes his example particularly objectionable to many was the way he retained the very high British manufactured prices immediately after doing that, three times and more that of the other Chinese made cyclone cleaners. Presumably this was to con those who didn't know he'd moved his production, but he's been increasingly losing business ever since as people wake up. Like Scimitar above, I wouldn't touch any product of his now.
Royal Doulton in Stoke moved their manufacturing to Indonesia. Only to find that their major market, America, bought the stuff because it was called royal and made in England

:confused:

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Royal Doulton in Stoke moved their manufacturing to Indonesia. Only to find that their major market, America, bought the stuff because it was called royal and made in England

:confused:
I'm not sure whether that says more about Royal Doulton or America?:rolleyes:

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
I'm going to my shed to smoke a splif :cool: ... Made in Heaven!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At least we gave them Christianity
Another crime in itself, and used as a basis for their committing more crimes on a huge scale.

The LRS (Lord's Resistance Army) as just one of many examples, and the appalling conflicts and bestiality in Nigeria between the Islamic north and Christian south as another.

Religion brings nothing but trouble and is best never disseminated.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have to agree with flecc.[That is perhaps a novelty in itself!] . Mankind needs to move on from the superstition of religion. "My powerful friend who lives in the sky is more powerful than your friend in the sky, and if you don`t believe me I will kill you." Religion is responsible for half the wars on the planet, the other half being fought over oil. I always say, religion is like an erection. If you keep it to yourself, its fine, but you`ll never make friends if you go around ramming it down peoples throats.