Oxydrive kits

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
i have the black 13mAh battery...

today after 22 miles ride, i still have 36.9V and it says 3/4 full. I'm finding this
hard to believe

what is the empty voltage for this battery?
Voltage is quite a poor indicator of state of charge (SOC), and with lithium it's even worse than SLA, as there are very sharp drop offs at both ends of the curve. I would guess that 36.9v is between 50-30% capacity remaining.

If you need accuracy, you need to put a watt meter on it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
with 36.9v left you may get another 5-8 miles the lvc shut off on mine at 35v I think, they are protected by the bms so no damage should occur. 22 miles seems quite poor but the cold weather reduces mileage. I did a 55 mile ride on a chilly new years day and had both batteries 13 &11ah and both were down to 35.6v at the end of the ride, on a warmer ride in late summer a similar 55 mile ride was easy and I managed 45 miles from my 11ah a lone. As Alan says a watt meter rigged up can tell you battery usage more accurately.
Daveh's tutorial thread below.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/the-best-value-wattmeter.16869/

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
Got 35 miles out from 3 days commute in London, lots of stops due to traffic, etc, quite happy with it, ECO + 5

This is a bit off from the advertised 50 miles range, might need to do a capacity test on the battery?

Also the build in battery indicator is so not linear:

Between
0-20 miles showing 5/5
20-29 miles showing 4/5
30-35 drops steeply down to 1.

BMS shuts down around 33V

I have a watt meter for my electric planes, might try to use it :) thanks for the link Nealh

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
I would be interested to hear how the difference is with the new C6 LCD Baldy. I have the older one with the 4 buttons integrated into the LCD, the buttons of which I find incredibly hard to push and small to boot. The later unit looks like it has much bigger and 'softer' buttons which combined with it being on a separate flylead should make it easier to place as well. I have actually considered buying one but at £60 I am struggling to justify it despite the potential easier use.
After "upgrading" to the new C6 LCD with remote buttons (mounted near to left hand grip) I can confirm that these are a far superior set up to the old LCD unit (now relegated to Mrs LOX's Cube build). The display is easier to read, set up and change settings on the go. Also get a better idea of battery state (BMS info).
BTW, I had a bit of an issue on the Cube build with the supplied PAS so got a replacement hollowtech2 specific PAS from Andrew at Oxydrive which works a treat!
Now Mrs Lox can not only keep up but easily wizz past me on the trails (she's nearly half my weight) [emoji39]

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
After "upgrading" to the new C6 LCD with remote buttons (mounted near to left hand grip) I can confirm that these are a far superior set up to the old LCD unit (now relegated to Mrs LOX's Cube build). The display is easier to read, set up and change settings on the go. Also get a better idea of battery state (BMS info).
BTW, I had a bit of an issue on the Cube build with the supplied PAS so got a replacement hollowtech2 specific PAS from Andrew at Oxydrive which works a treat!
Now Mrs Lox can not only keep up but easily wizz past me on the trails (she's nearly half my weight) [emoji39]
Dear all, I've got a sudden new problem with the oxygen kit I'm hoping someone may be able to shed light on? Intermittently form a full charge it gives a code 06 error code (low voltage I gather) - especially after a vibration (say going through a small hump in the road) - then when I coast a bit it seems to rest itself and be OK again. First I thought it might be the battery's state of charge - so I fully charged/balanced it - but it still happened. Then I also tested it against long inclines using maximum assistance - and there's very little voltage sag, so it seems the cells are good. Any ideas about what may be going on is greatly appreciated.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have unfortunately just developed this symptom... It is definitely a short somewhere, hoping that it is just a bad wire connection rather than more complicated soldering to fix.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I have unfortunately just developed this symptom... It is definitely a short somewhere, hoping that it is just a bad wire connection rather than more complicated soldering to fix.
don't mean to complicate things - but similarly I worry it's the BMS - then, if I opened it and physically/visibly cant find a loose connection I'm afraid it will be terminal (no pun intended)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Selrahc we both got our kits at the same time last Jan so out of warranty, opening the battery is quite easy as long as you take it steady, take pics of the wiring as you expose it just in case a wire brakes etc. If the bms was an issue then you prob would have issue like balancing and cells over volting.
The internal wiring has some play in it but just be careful parting the two halves, pos and neg are feed supply wires to and from the cells and white are the BMS connected circuit wires. From the power socket trace 12/14 awg wires too the battery cells and PCB. Also from the BMS to the battery cells groups are 11 white wires balance wires(colour may be diff) connected via JST /XH connector these shouldn't be an issue, also there is a small pcb with pos and neg wiring check that as well. Other very thin pos and neg from switch and charge socket supply the power to the BMS and PCB but ignore these for faults jus be careful not to tug on them as the main issue will be related to the wiring to the cells or from the power socket to its opposite end connection.
Here are some pics of my Woosh Samsung celled batts.
187/188 is the BMS.
181 is the small PCB.
182 is the outlet power socket.
177 unbolting the case top view after prising apart.

Attachments

Last edited:

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Selrahc we both got our kits at the same time last Jan so out of warranty, opening the battery is quite easy as long as you take it steady, take pics of the wiring as you expose it just in case a wire brakes etc. If the bms was an issue then you prob would have issue like balancing and cells over volting.
The internal wiring has some play in it but just be careful parting the two halves, pos and neg are feed supply wires to and from the cells and white are the BMS connected circuit wires. From the power socket trace 12/14 awg wires too the battery cells and PCB. Also from the BMS to the battery cells groups are 11 white wires balance wires(colour may be diff) connected via JST /XH connector these shouldn't be an issue, also there is a small pcb with pos and neg wiring check that as well. Other very thin pos and neg from switch and charge socket supply the power to the BMS and PCB but ignore these for faults jus be careful not to tug on them as the main issue will be related to the wiring to the cells or from the power socket to its opposite end connection.
Here are some pics of my Woosh Samsung celled batts.
187/188 is the BMS.
181 is the small PCB.
182 is the outlet power socket.
177 unbolting the case top view after prising apart.
many thanks - very helpful post - mostly the technical part which ill archive for later (ill no doubt need it at some point). It also made me wonder about the warranty - a search of my Hotmail inbox revealed something quite astonishing - an email from Andrew from 1 February last year saying he "couldn't send it but will this week and it will be delivered Tuesday" - by some fluke I am a few days within warranty! Luck, I guess, but next time i will definitely have to boldly take the DIY route you describe

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Let us know how it goes sounds like you have a few days to go.

Reactions: selrahc1992

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
Can anybody help with an issue i have on my Oxydrive CST HT kit?

I've been experiencing the power dropping off at 'random' intervals. Sometimes this is accompanied by an electrical/mechanical clunk around the motor area.

I've stripped and rebuilt the hub motor, it was very dry and the bearings were a bit noisy but no obvious signs of wear. It runs like new again now but the power drop off remains.

This morning it dropped off and i caught the controller changing to a mode where a little spanner was flashing with '06' showing where the mileage is normally.

I've noticed no drop in battery assistance, mileage is exactly 1500 miles.

Any thoughts?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Can anybody help with an issue i have on my Oxydrive CST HT kit?

I've been experiencing the power dropping off at 'random' intervals. Sometimes this is accompanied by an electrical/mechanical clunk around the motor area.

I've stripped and rebuilt the hub motor, it was very dry and the bearings were a bit noisy but no obvious signs of wear. It runs like new again now but the power drop off remains.

This morning it dropped off and i caught the controller changing to a mode where a little spanner was flashing with '06' showing where the mileage is normally.

I've noticed no drop in battery assistance, mileage is exactly 1500 miles.

Any thoughts?
FWIW what you describe is exactly what happens to mine - I emailed Andrew at oxydrive who said he has emailed the supplier of the batteries and is waiting to hear back before me sending it to him (the battery - which suggests it's the battery that causes this)

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
FWIW what you describe is exactly what happens to mine - I emailed Andrew at oxydrive who said he has emailed the supplier of the batteries and is waiting to hear back before me sending it to him (the battery - which suggests it's the battery that causes this)
except on mine there isn't any noise or dysfunction from the motor - its just the power dropping off and code 06 appearing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was thinking it might be conflict with in the controller but 06 is the LVC so sounds like a battery issue on the power supply outlet side, either a loose or cracked solder/ wire joint. 3 members with the same problem by the sounds of things, touch wood my original batt is fine at the moment. Might just be a case of a workers poor soldering that has given up after a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: selrahc1992

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I was thinking it might be conflict with in the controller but 06 is the LVC so sounds like a battery issue on the power supply outlet side, either a loose or cracked solder/ wire joint.
very helpful - it narrows it down completely - first I couldn't find the 06 error code in the manual (found here on an old post in the forum it also means low voltage)

Ian_Fearn

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2007
I've also noticed power drop off after hitting a bump so its quite possible something is loose.

Oxydrive want £300 for a new battery, I didn't pay much more than that for the whole kit and £300 a year for a new battery isn't economical.

I still use mine everyday for commuting but when you're pulling up a hill out of the saddle pedalling, sudden lack of assistance is like pulling the brakes on. It really knocks you off balance.

Mine is out of warranty now so is the answer to open the battery up and look for something obviously loose?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think buying another batt is extreme as the fault is more then likely a minor one so far my one is fine, I did get a 11ah one on Cyber Monday for £196 to give me another 45 miles or so range.
I pretty sure the issue will be a bad solder joint so a case of checking the thicker supply pos and neg wire contacts starting at the outlet socket, overall I'm very happy with mine and think its a cracking bit of kit.