Petition to increase speed assist limit on E bikes

act

Just Joined
May 14, 2020
Like many I am frustrated by the current speed limit on electric bikes so looked around to see if there was a petition to lobby for this to be increased, especially now after Brexit.
I did indeed find one, launched in July this year, but was amazed to find that only just over 4000 people have signed it and I think 100000 are required to get it raised in Parliament.
If you are interested the link is here and please pass it on to as many as possible so we can this lifted to a more reasonable limit of 20 mph.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like many I am frustrated by the current speed limit on electric bikes so looked around to see if there was a petition to lobby for this to be increased, especially now after Brexit.
I did indeed find one, launched in July this year, but was amazed to find that only just over 4000 people have signed it and I think 100000 are required to get it raised in Parliament.
If you are interested the link is here and please pass it on to as many as possible so we can this lifted to a more reasonable limit of 20 mph.

Sorry to have to break it to you, but the reason there were so few signing is that this won't happen, cannot happen.

There's huge range of reasons why, but a key one is that everything else either limited to that speed or a little faster is in law a motor vehicle which has to be registered, number plated, insured for third party risks and ridden with a driving licence after completing CBT and the driving test and wearing an approved motor cycle helmet.

In other words, no longer a pedelec.

Brexit will make no difference to this position.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2020

Yes, agreed. I've signed it. On balance it's a good thing. Probably not many have signed it yet because it's not received much publicity. If it reached 10,000, the government will at least look at it.

Two main observations: First it's very much in accordance with the government's commitment to increasing the use of renewable energy and reducing carbon emissions. The more cyclists they can get on the road, the better. So I'd bet that the government would indeed lend it some credence.

Second observation, however, is that if they do raise the speed limit, they should clarify the law on pavement riding and make it strictly illegal. I myself have had cyclists nearly career into me twice when walking, both on curved blind bends with a high garden hedge obscuring the view. With e bikes going at that speed, the risk of collision and serious injury is increased dramatically. Unfortunately there are too many cyclists around who believe they have carte blanche to ride on pavements - and to be fair the law does seem somewhat blurred on this issue.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I saw that petition a few months ago and jumped over to sign it but fortunately (IMO) stopped short and had a think about it.

I think it comes under the phrase "Careful what you wish for".

Pedal assist electric bicycles need to remain just that, a bicycle and easily recognizable as such. I would like a bit more "Assisted" speed as much as the rest of us but start pushing the boundaries and many things (Not least the brakes) begin to rear their ugly head on cheaper models and with no legal requirement for MOT or similar who knows what deathtraps we might see on the roads after a year or so of "Just being ridden" .

It should also be remembered we share things like cycle lanes with human powered bikes. increasing the average speed difference between standard pedal power and pedal assist is a recipe for disaster and is likely to further divide the cycling community. I appreciate it's only a 7 kph difference but I still think it's a bad idea.

If you want to travel at more than 25 kph on a bicycle pedal faster, get fitter, win win situation.;)

Just my opinion.

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Two main observations: First it's very much in accordance with the government's commitment to increasing the use of renewable energy and reducing carbon emissions. The more cyclists they can get on the road, the better. So I'd bet that the government would indeed lend it some credence.
A lost bet I'm afraid, since the DfT have already made themselves clear on this subject.

Faster e-bikers are already allowed using the S Class high speed pedelecs, but as I've explained above, they have to be registered as motor vehicles and there is no getting around that. The law cannot say person A cannot use a higher assist speed without a number of specified restrictions but person B can without them.

Within the law most pedelers desires can be met. We can have four times the power with a 1000 watt rating at legal pedelec assist speed (Class L1e-A). We can have an assist speed of 28mph (45 kph) combined with up to 500 watts rating to easily enable that (Class L1e-B). But we pedelecers cannot have them without the conditions that everyone else is subject to, that's only fair.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Surely if you wanted an ebike to go faster under electric drive, than the 25kph of our bikes, then you can you go the "S" bike route, with its own additional requirements and limitations?

Personally, I am happy enough to accept the modest restriction we have for the big ones we don't have.

I do feel though that with the fast growing illegal and general usage pattern of e-scooters, the whole subject will come back into legislative focus. If we come out of it "as is", without more definite restrictions and specifications, we should count ourselves "lucky", very lucky.

R Benny Waered

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 12, 2020
Just got my first e-bike and it is blindingly clear that a 20mph limit is required. Most residential areas in Wales are now 20mph so to be able to do that allows you to match traffic. Also most peoples cruising speed is a little higher on the flat. I find my 25kg e-bike is happy at 18mph and this matches my normal cadence too and the gearing. I am forever hunting around that 15mph mark with motor abruptly cutting in and out.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Quite agree, keep the limit as it is. After all we are using an electrically assisted pedal cycle, ideal for the likes of people like me who can no longer cycle without that little bit of help.
Nothing to stop you going faster if you are fit enough. You can ride an ebike as fast as you like, but the motor must cut out at 15.5mph. If that is not good enough then buy a motorbike and pay the tax and insurance etc.
Escooters could be a menace. I was almost knocked down the other evening when I was out walking. A young boy (10ish) shot around the corner of the pavement and I had to leap out of the way. Had he hit me I could have been quite badly injured.

R Benny Waered

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 12, 2020
Not sure recommending people buy ICE motorbikes is the best solution to allowing ebikes to do an easily safe and doable 20mph in 20 zones? Just keeping up in traffic as the playing field has been levelled down would be a safety plus. 15mph isn't really the average speed on a flat in my experience. It's set a little too low imho which can be frustrating for us 50yr old athletes late for work!

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
Best not to make a fuss about this IMHO , many e-bikes are well capable of 20 mph with minor mods, just use the speed sensibly , take extra care on shared paths etc..The thing is, if limit raised to 20 mph, people will push it to 25-30, and then you will get compulsory motor bike helmets, insurance , MOT , registration. SHTUMMM...lol

Sep 13, 2020
Just got my first e-bike and it is blindingly clear that a 20mph limit is required. Most residential areas in Wales are now 20mph so to be able to do that allows you to match traffic. Also most peoples cruising speed is a little higher on the flat. I find my 25kg e-bike is happy at 18mph and this matches my normal cadence too and the gearing. I am forever hunting around that 15mph mark with motor abruptly cutting in and out.
I agree, as stated in my own post earlier.

However, I do take on board the valid point regarding potential restrictions such as compulsory tax/MOT, helmet. Also banned from shared pathways (as distinct from ordinary pavements, which we shouldn't be on anyway).

So if an increased speed allowance came with strings attached, I'd prefer to stop as we are. If it didn't then I'm all for it.

D

Deleted member 33385

pavements, which we shouldn't be on anyway
It's a good way to keep death off the roads

I confess I eased my way back into cycling recently on pavements, the road was too frightening to be utterly honest, and at my age I'd probably shatter on impact... I'd be shards all over the place. At 20mph, there would be smaller shards. Big helmets, tattoos, tax, number plates, CBT and so forth? No thanks! 15.5mph is fine, or in my case, 15.6mph downhill.

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I can understand some folks wish to have a little more speed for commuting but I would say best not to wake the sleeping tiger, we are fortunate to escape the mobility buggy limit of 8 mph.
Surely 15 mph is enough for recreational use.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It has been said many times if folks want faster speed then use your own power/energy to accomplish this over and above the legal cut out, if you can't manage it stop bleating and accept the current regs.
Pedelecs/ebikes have concessions with no other add on's, think ourselves fortunate that the UK integrated worldwide pedelec regs because prior to this 12.5mph was the max legal speed for pedelecs.
Other wise stick to riding a pushbike with no restrictions on speed.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yet another voice saying that the current rules are probably give the most appropriate balance of capability vs lack of regulation.

There are some electric scooters out there at prices that compare very favourably with ebikes (for example https://supersoco.co.uk/), and costs such as insurance are likely to be quite low as well. See the thread https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=142952,

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
As has been said 'be careful what you wish for".
Some folks on here will remember the war we had in this tiny part of the UK convincing Parliamentary buffoons that ebikes are not motorcycles or mopeds.
We came to a hairs breadth of being hit with legislation involving tax, insurance, bans from cycle lanes, motorcycle safety helmets and the rest.
A lot of pressure was needed and a lot of assistance was required by the Green Party to avoid this nightmare.
I have ridden 160 mph Ducatis, OWO1s etc etc in a past life so if that is what some folk need I can agree that should be the way to go.
On the other hand 15.5mph on a bicycle is just fine for us now and we won't be signing any petition to encourage it to be increased - coupled with the restrictions accompanying it.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
This has cropped up on other ebike forums - the majority seem to be against it

just like last time - which wasn;t all that long ago

Personally I shall be keeping an eye on it and if it gets to the 10,000 target I shall write (OK email) my MP - and possibly the Green Party encouraging them to speak against it

It is a pity that you can only sign a petition, or not - there is no way of specifically registering a disapproval

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Judging from the paltry numbers that have signed it, I question the Op's statement that "many" are frustrated with this state of affairs.

I also call into question the disingenuous wording of the petition.

I would also question how making a higher assisted top speed would stop people riding on the path.

Even if I supported the premise - which I don't - I still would not sign such a badly presented, disingenuous, inaccurate and misleading petition.

Do it properly, make it look like you really mean business, get your facts straight from the off...or simply don't bother.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS and flecc