Petition to increase speed assist limit on E bikes

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
It's been said that we have an unhealthy culture of fast cycling in this country and that is why people want e-bikes to go faster.

However, I do not think this is the whole story. My feeling is that people want to go faster to reduce commute times through dangerous levels of traffic, poor cycling infrastructure and deal with motor vehicle drivers having a general attitude (stoked up by certain people in the media) that you shouldn't be there, are a nuisance, are in their way, up to no good and are freeloading in some way.

I have to say, I really don't enjoy cycling any more when it involves being on the road.

If proper infrastructure is put in place, people on bikes can relax and enjoy the activity and, in the process, slow down.

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
People want to go faster but don't want to get to that speed by their own efforts, which rather starts to defeat the object of having an assisted bicycle in the first place.

And it will never be enough. If we ever did get a 20mph assistance limit (which we won't), someone will start complaining about that and will want 25, and then 30, and so on.

If you want to get faster get a speed pedelec, and leave us legal riders to carry on as we are without the threat of further regulation or licensing.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
its having that without its associated obligations.
It's a specific example of the generic problem of folks wanting their 'human rights' (voting from in prison, or whatever) without expecting to have any matching 'human responsibilities'.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It's been said that we have an unhealthy culture of fast cycling in this country and that is why people want e-bikes to go faster.

However, I do not think this is the whole story. My feeling is that people want to go faster to reduce commute times through dangerous levels of traffic, poor cycling infrastructure and deal with motor vehicle drivers having a general attitude (stoked up by certain people in the media) that you shouldn't be there, are a nuisance, are in their way, up to no good and are freeloading in some way.

I have to say, I really don't enjoy cycling any more when it involves being on the road.

If proper infrastructure is put in place, people on bikes can relax and enjoy the activity and, in the process, slow down.
Post-war folk bought Vespas and BSA Bantams / Triumph Tiger Cubs...

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Triumph Tiger Cub... mmmmmmm I cut my motorcycling teeth on one.

Registration EOK 61C, just in case it's still out there.. :cool:

TTFN
John.
Then more recently Honda C50/70/90s (recently released as C125) - which my Mum had for pootling about with a top box full of bricks to balance out the shopping bags she hung on the handlebars for some odd reason.

That seems to be what folk want, an electric version of the Super Cub to ride about without tax, insurance MOT, helmet etc.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Triumph Tiger Cub... mmmmmmm I cut my motorcycling teeth on one.

Registration EOK 61C, just in case it's still out there.. :cool:

TTFN
John.
Looks like it missed being taxed way, way back on 1st June 1983, so not looking too promising it is still running around, at least here in the UK.
LINK

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Ah, That's depressing, I loved that bike. Sadly going through my motorcycling life on there it looks like they all have long since shuffled off their mortal coil. :(

TTFN
John

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Those came much later than the NSU Quickly and its 50cc two stroke engine.
At the time of ownership, I was at college studying (amongst other things) thermodynamics which invloved detailed study of the working of the ICE. I recall asking the motorcycle dealer why manufacturers built these tiny two stroke engines. Why not make them 4 stroke. "It can't be done" was the prompt answer. Some years later, Honda started to produce the C50 with its 4 stroke engine.

Sunstoner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2020
If I wanted to go faster than 15 mph I would buy a small motor bike, but I am more than happy at 15 mph on my ebike, no helmet, no MOT, no compulsory Insurance, use shared footpaths.
Whilst I quite agree, id recommend getting a helmet.

I dont know what kind of ebike you use or where you ride but i came off my emtb wearing a road bike helmet whilst biking along a seemingly innocent dirt track. Next minute i was thrown off my bike having got caught in a rut. It all happened in an instant and i landed on my head causing me to black out for several seconds.

Thankfully the road helmet took some of the impact but so did the side of my head. Ended up with a replacement helmet with a helmet with more coverage. Lesson learned.

:)

• Agree
Reactions: Phil Dryden

Sunstoner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 29, 2020
My gut reaction is to sign the petition as ever since i got my first ebike, an emtb last August it felt like 15.5mph was just a whisker too slow given the bikes technology and capability. 18-20mph would seem a more natural limit imo.

Reading some very interesting posts from people here however has given me pause for thought.

Surprisingly (to me) ,most would seem to be against it and for valid reasons too. I get it.

If i stop to think about my own experiences so far with my own bike. I find that I already pass most other non ebikers at a fair pace whilst at trail centers and on public pathways and through using various routing / tracking apps i can also see that my average speed is around 3-4mph up on non ebikers doing the same / similar routes.

So i suppose, in reality 15.5mph IS fast enough. Much more speed and the difference starts to tell when youre mixing with other non ebike traffic leading to possible restrictions at bike parks and trail centers and on public pathways etc esp as ebikes are generally that bit heavier too.

Yes, i wouldnt mind a speed bump but my own reasons and those reasons well put in other posts I get why 15.5mph is just fine (for now).

D

Deleted member 33385

While I was pedalling with minimal effort last night at 100% PAS, enjoying the ride - I reflected on how sensible the current limit is... any faster and you'd be looking at the prospect of much more serious injuries in the event of a collision or accident, and 15.5mph is fast enough to make useful journeys. There's no need, no need for more speed...

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
None of your wasp in a bucket nonsense for me, 1959 triumph thunderbird 650 with a sidecar.

Reactions: snafu

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Going a bit off topic but...
Here's a picture of our sidecar with family. There is an Ariel Huntsmaster hidden behind the beast. (A Rankin Double Adult). five of us including dad used to trundle off to Butlins every year.

Happy days.

TTFN
John.

ChuckingFeet

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2019
Derby
I had a BSA 650cc A10 with sidecar for a few months , what a grin that was , especially roundabouts , get under/over steer just by moving your weight about .

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I am with fecc on this topic. The 15mph or 25km.hr in my country is a very sensible middle ground. You might be unpleasantly surprised as to how quickly the battery will deteriorate or deplete at 20mph. Moreover your reaction times do not get faster nor does the braking distance decrease .. It is completely different on a racetrack
There is no difficulty in going faster than the power assistance. I achieved 50km.hr going downhill , slight slope ,until I copped myself on.