Petition to legalizing throttle only eBikes for the disabled

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi Neal,

We are all scratching our heads a bit.

Why are we (Wisper) going trough all this work (at a loss) when all we need to do is sell a bike without a throttle, then sell a throttle a week later when the bike is second handor indeed supply the throttle and a code to switch it on if the customer requires a full throttle.

Also I’m sure the other company involved would only work within the law, can anyone point out the reg that would confirm this is OK?

Does this rule only apply to non electric donor bikes? Seems silly if that’s the case!

many thanks All the best, David
The route you at Wisper are taking is a conformity route , in that the end user should they be involved in an accident or even spot checked have no obligation to be insured as the bike has been type approved to be exempt. Any possible prosecution of the user as in using an unlicensed motor vehicle is negated.

It is very different as I see it for bikes that use throttles whether branded or diy without conformity .

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The route you at Wisper are taking is a conformity route , in that the end user should they be involved in an accident or even spot checked have no obligation to be insured as the bike has been type approved to be exempt. Any possible prosecution of the user as in using an unlicensed motor vehicle is negated.

It is very different as I see it for bikes that use throttles whether branded or diy without conformity .
Thanks sir!

All the best, David

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The DfT and prosecuting entities may interpret the relevant laws differently? A freedom of information request may be required to discover the number and which types of ready made ebikes and conversions are seized, and their owners prosecuted? Otherwise, in trying to determine risk, we're stuck searching the internet for the odd rare article such as this one, which doesn't mention much about the ebike:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You get so called legal ebikes with mid-drive motors with 700w or more motors well above the 250W rating and they are openly sold.

“(i)has a maximum continuous rated power which does not exceed 250 watts;”

(35) ‘maximum continuous rated power’ means the maximum thirty minutes power at the output shaft of an electric engine as set out in UNECE regulation No 85;

My mid-drive isn't illegal, thanks.

Last edited:

Sarge1892

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 5, 2023
Hi Sarge, a couple of points.

Yes it’s a hassle but there’s a list of centres that are qualified to test bikes and issue certification on GOV.UK, in our experience they are happy to do the work, it costs £55.00.

An L1e does not require insurance, road tax, MOT etc. The only cost is testing at £55.00. There may be further costs from the manufacturer such as reprogramming the bike and extending the bike’s warranty to cover full throttle.

All the best, David
that's good to know what is the restrictions for l1e?

a project of mine is to do a fully custom build ebike at some point I was going to go msva route but I might look into l1e if the restrictions aren't too bad in the end although at present I don't think my 350w will pass even if ironically when derestricted it only lets my fat butt go 15mph

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
The DfT and prosecuting entities may interpret the relevant laws differently? A freedom of information request may be required to discover the number and which types of ready made ebikes and conversions are seized, and their owners prosecuted? Otherwise, in trying to determine risk, we're stuck searching the internet for the odd rare article such as this one, which doesn't mention much about the ebike:

Sounds like that was a suron or similar.

Sarge1892

Feb 5, 2023

from what I've seen its generally 2 groups of people I see getting there stuff confiscated

1 suron or suron style ebikes my guess is that either A they are the easiest bike to spot at a glance that is 100% not legal or B given the demographic and the behavior I've seen there the most likely to be behaving like idiots on the roads

then there number 2 which is food delivery workers which I cannot explain the logic in anyone head the police and government love to boast and show off there flat bed truck filled with 30 or 40food delivery workers ebikes as if this is a good thing

and I'm left thinkingwhat a waste this is food delivery generates ALOT of milage so taking away there bikes is not only taking away there livleyhoods but also forcing them onto gas guzzling scooters and cars which especially in the city I see these in means that there would also be clean air penalties

personally though I've owned 2 fat tyres 1 in 800w and one in 350w the folding frame variety and the police don't even pay attention to me so I think as long as your not obviously breaking the law they either don't care to get out the car to check or just don't care what your riding

Reactions: Kev.k

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Has anyone on this forum ever been pulled by the police and had their bike checked?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when we gort raided the cid guy spent more time looking at my bike and asking where the dongle goes and where to get one from :p

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Not surprised at all.

Traffic are the ***** you need to look out for. Normally in 3 series touring round my way.

I wouldn’t waste my pi55 if I seen one burning.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
BMW has said it will no longer be supplying police cars a year after forces were instructed not to use patrol cars fitted with the brand’s N57 engine in any high-speed pursuits due to safety concerns.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
BMW has said it will no longer be supplying police cars a year after forces were instructed not to use patrol cars fitted with the brand’s N57 engine in any high-speed pursuits due to safety concerns.

All my BMWs apart from a 96 318is (first car, loved it so much) have been S engined not N )

More like the idiots need x drive at speed rather than RWD

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
One thing I'm still confused about is the 250w limit. Exactly how would they test this?

Although I have no facts to back this up, I'm convinced even my lowly Carrera Vengeance motor would output considerably more than 250W with an appropriate controller etc if pushed. I've got toy aeroplane motors in models as small as 40" wingspan which are rated much higher than that and the Vengeance will easily get my 12st frame up a 1 in 8 hill.

My Cyrusher XF650, which I use for Trail/Gravel riding has an EN 15194:2017 sticker (Vendor fitted) stating continuous output 0.25kw and maximum speed of 25kph. But I know the motor is rated at 1000w peak and the 250w output is configured via the display and the controller wiring, (But derestricting is easy enough if I wanted to).

I've kept mine at the default setting and never installed the throttle as for the type of trips it does range is far more important than speed.

But I'm considering selling the Vengeance which would make the XF650 my main ride around the local streets as well.

So where do I stand if stopped by a policeman who is short of his target for the month?

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Has anyone on here ever been stopped?

Police like easy convictions. They actually told me domestic violence was their priority when I was reporting a burglary.

Im trying to work out if traffic police have any interest? I’m certain regular police wouldn’t be interested.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the only ppl that has had problems is with them moped things with peddles that weigh 6 million tons on the cycle path.

m8 crashed his hub motor bike pissed and stoned out of his head and hit a metal barrier going 30 mph and broke the fkn thing, and i missed it :mad:

it was 2 of those and it broke right at the bottom on the right hand side and bent right over on the other and looked like that pic.

his **** pot skate board helmet exploded as did a super man straight on to the floor broke everything and spent 2 weeks in hospital.

plod took the bike but never had the batt as flew off and was stashed in a back pack but they both had non legal bikes.

plod could not get a breath test or blood as he was fooked and got what was left of the bike back but it was a right off.

the front wheel was ok tho as got it right in-between the bars and the frame hit it right at the head set.

he never had to pay for it to get fixed either :rolleyes:

Sarge1892

Feb 5, 2023
One thing I'm still confused about is the 250w limit. Exactly how would they test this?

Although I have no facts to back this up, I'm convinced even my lowly Carrera Vengeance motor would output considerably more than 250W with an appropriate controller etc if pushed. I've got toy aeroplane motors in models as small as 40" wingspan which are rated much higher than that and the Vengeance will easily get my 12st frame up a 1 in 8 hill.

My Cyrusher XF650, which I use for Trail/Gravel riding has an EN 15194:2017 sticker (Vendor fitted) stating continuous output 0.25kw and maximum speed of 25kph. But I know the motor is rated at 1000w peak and the 250w output is configured via the display and the controller wiring, (But derestricting is easy enough if I wanted to).

I've kept mine at the default setting and never installed the throttle as for the type of trips it does range is far more important than speed.

But I'm considering selling the Vengeance which would make the XF650 my main ride around the local streets as well.

So where do I stand if stopped by a policeman who is short of his target for the month?

Thanks in advance

TTFN
John.
well that's where the law is on your side

we can use traffic case law to help us

there has been plenty of cases where speeding tickets have been successfully contested because they police either used a uncalibrated measuring device or a non certified method to judge your speed

for example the officer claims he was going 40 and you was not getting closer or further away therefore you was going 40

but upon court case its found the car has never been certified to have a calibrated speedometer so there's no guarantee his speedo was correct

so how this applies to us

they could do some funky stuff with a clamp metere but unless they have calibration certificates and permission to use those reports as evidence there findings are worthless

ontop of this do they have the relevant training and qualification to do the test?

a 250w ebike doesn't just give up after 250w on a hill or from a start it can spike its current above 250w is the officer trained to know this and perform the measuring test

but as I said before I don't think the officers care unless your blatantly taking the mickey blasting down the road at 35mph or popping wheelies orriding a bike like a suron that's obviously illegal there just not going to give you a second thought

I've always worked off the idea that its cozy in those cars its warm/cool depending on ac and weather the seats are comfy and there favorite tunes are on the radio

there probeblt over worked as it is with reported crime so unless your being obnoxious they aren't going to want to generate additional work for themselves unless you make them

when I had my 800w it was a folder frame nothing too hey look at me in style didn't scream speed when looked at I wore a bright orange high vis a helmet had mirrors and just rode around following any and all traffic laws as if I was a car I yielded for traffic I stopped at lights I just gave off the vibes of being just a chap on his way to and from work and the police never paid me any attention I might as well have been invisible

starting out if I spotted a police car id just clown pedal a little bit despite being on throttle but after a while I found myself just pedaling along lightly just for the minuscule exercise it gave me (which mind you got me some killer calfs and really began toning my belly)

there is a rule that your supposed to have a power rating sticker on your bike...stickers do fall off and not that I advise you break the law but if a sticker is evidence enough to a officer that your legit then give them what they want and slap a sticker that says your a good buy on the motor

if left up to me ebikes would be way way more fun

my personal opinion for ebike law

motor restrictions mostly gone I see no major benefit to restricting motor wattage
new speed restrictions to ebikes are as follows

category 1 25mph
category 2 35mph

category 1 requirements
must hold a provisional license no certifications needed just your green cardyou can acrue points and disbarments on this license if your being unsafe or a idiot)
must have attended a cycling profficiancy course

category 2 requirements
must have either CBT certification or a higher motorcycle qualification
no longer can usebike paths possible can still use bike lanes (the road ones)idk
must have a real horn and appropriate signaling lights for turns

cat 1 is your average commuter 25 is plenty to keep you safe in light urban areas your average road is 30 you can do 25 cars can still pass you if need be but at 25 few will probably desire to as 25 is a normal cruising speed for many cars

cat 2 is your serious ebiker/comutter you've got the speed to hold your own on fast roads like dual carriageways and roundabouts but at the same time you need your brain switched on some training in highway code and motorcycle usage would be beneficial

as for tax and insurance insurance is nice but as for tax NO WAY IN HELL GO DUNK YOURSELF

if a motorbike pays 50 quid tax and there's electric cars that don't even have to pay tax clearly the money isn't going on road maintenance because a heavy ass car suddenly does not damage roads because its electric?

yeah no bike tax ain't gonna happen till I see some heavy HEAVY improvement to cycling infrastructure and I start seeing drivers being prosecuted for being aholes to bikes

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
That looks nasty.

I only drink when I’m out and I’m less likely to do something stupid stoned than if I’m not. I’m brave on 4 wheels not 2.

I can’t see the traffic police being interested in regular looking Emtb’s. But they are a odd sort of person in my experience.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it was a 1000w diy hub motor that crashed other guy had bafang hd and a canyon with a bad ass dongle.

he had to pay to get it out but at that point it was near scrap anyway bar the hub and controller.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
it was a 1000w diy hub motor that crashed other guy had bafang hd and a canyon with a bad ass dongle.

he had to pay to get it out but at that point it was near scrap anyway bar the hub and controller.
He got really lucky everything considered.

That’s worst case scenario pretty much too.