Petition to legalizing throttle only eBikes for the disabled

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
My Mountain Bike is fifteen years old. I fitted a Sinclair motor and lead acid battery pack, which I removed from an earlier bike, just after I bought it. I used it with various home build mods over the years. Where do I stand wrt "grandfather rights"?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My Mountain Bike is fifteen years old. I fitted a Sinclair motor and lead acid battery pack, which I removed from an earlier bike, just after I bought it. I used it with various home build mods over the years. Where do I stand wrt "grandfather rights"?
If you fitted the motor etc to a bike before 1st January 2016, it definitely benefits from grandfather rights and can keep its throttle

Thereafter it's for the lawyers to argue over, since there isn't really any provision for kit bikes in pedelec or any other law. A court might well rule that being bound by usage law as it is, means it is also bound by construction law, this in turn meaning fitting to any bike after that date means it cannot have a throttle.

Reactions: PeterPi

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
If you fitted the motor etc to a bike before 1st January 2016, it definitely benefits from grandfather rights and can keep its throttle

Thereafter it's for the lawyers to argue over, since there isn't really any provision for kit bikes in pedelec or any other law. A court might well rule that being bound by usage law as it is, means it is also bound by construction law, this in turn meaning fitting to any bike after that date means it cannot have a throttle.
Bit of a grey area by the look of it. The present kit was fitted a week ago, so I think I'll err on the side of safety and not have one.

PeterPi

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2019
I heard an item on talkRadio last week saying they were expecting e Scooters to be legalised. If that is the case I would assume it would enhance this matter. Although, at the moment, everything is on hold.