Priceless, so simple for small businesses to sort out. Good old BREXIT!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would give this government the benefit of reasonable doubt. The deal is work in progress, maybe procedures will be streamlined in the future and double taxation avoided.
Personally, I don't find the new procedures difficult to deal with. The main issue is the rule of origin for e-bikes and e-bike parts as the UK and EU assemble mostly the bikes with imported parts. If you bring in some e-bikes via the EU, you would be subjected to double duty, one lot to the EU and a second lot to HMRC.
The flip side is that will encourage assembly here in the UK to avoid paying duty twice.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Fordulike I think you have been reading too many Articles in the Daily Express concerning the Devolved Nations of the UK . I can`t speak for Scotland as I live in Wales but I don`t detect any wish to leave the Union here in the South . Every time a Plaid Cymru Spokesman talks about this the Papers latch on to it as though it`s about to happen and the Forums spill out bile with Anti Welsh remarks .

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Fordulike I think you have been reading too many Articles in the Daily Express concerning the Devolved Nations of the UK . I can`t speak for Scotland as I live in Wales but I don`t detect any wish to leave the Union here in the South . Every time a Plaid Cymru Spokesman talks about this the Papers latch on to it as though it`s about to happen and the Forums spill out bile with Anti Welsh remarks .
I think I read it in The Sun actually :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
When Wales leaves the Union, can I get Welsh Citizenship Roger? My mother and paternal grandmother were Welsh and I was named after Dafydd y Garreg Wen!!

Pob hwyl i chi, Dafydd :)

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
The people who voted to leave the EU were to my mind mistaken in their belief it would make for a better UK, they are not stupid they just got it wrong and time will prove that to be the case I believe.
Rather than 'mistaken', I'd say they've been actively 'misled' (£350m/week for the NHS? Nah, have a clap, and you can wait for your salary increase.) It's not dissimilar to the way many Trump supporters, anti-vaxxers, non-mask wearers, climate change deniers, etc are misled. It could be they're all correct. But it seems pretty unlikely if you examine the evidence.

There is a battle being waged over what is 'truth', and where & how it is defined - who do you believe?
This has always been a factor, but ever-faster comm channels are amplifying the effect to the point of instability. Brexit seems to be one of those battles.

D

Deleted member 33385

not necessary. For trade, customs union (like Turkey is inside EU customs union) is enough for goods to move cost effectively. Theresa May got that but her deal did not pass.
When is a better time to buy a Woosh bike? Now or when the dust settles? (Whenever that is)

D

Deleted member 33385

better to wait for the dust to settle.
Are you planning to increase your prices? If so, by approximately how much and when? I'm trying my best to talk a friend into installing a BBS01b kit, and I don't want to direct my friend to where I bought mine.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I will put up our prices by about £15 on a bike in March to pay for the higher cost of sea containers. They have doubled in cost because China has to produce about 20% more to compensate for loss of production in Europe.
A lot of containers are stuck in Felixstowe because of PPE.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Rather than 'mistaken', I'd say they've been actively 'misled'..... It's not dissimilar to the way many Trump supporters, anti-vaxxers, non-mask wearers, climate change deniers, etc are misled. It could be they're all correct. But it seems pretty unlikely if you examine the evidence.
So where do you go to get accurate evidence to examine?

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
So where do you go to get accurate evidence to examine?
Farcebook and twatter.
Never Facebook.
Sometimes Twitter, but only indirectly, since I don't follow any individuals. I check who they work for, who they follow, what they've written previously, what they retweet.

My starting point is normally the Guardian, simply because it has no single owner. Here's the first sentence of it's 'About' page:
> The Guardian has published honest and fearless journalism, free from commercial or political interference, since it was founded in 1821.
That's a good starting point, IMHO.
I know they have a Labour bias, and I can spot it in the articles, so I can adjust/allow for that. That would have been solid Liberal bias 10 years ago, but hey - remind me who are they again?

If I want to get the diametrically opposed view, I hold my nose and read the Daily Mail, but it's dfficult to take a newspaper seriously when it has tits & bums clickbait all the way down the edge. I've tried the Express as an alternative - but it offers nothing better than the DM.

For US news, The Washington Post - the trouble there is that Bezos owns it, but he seems not to interfere much.

The BBC is also OK, but rather bland since they can't offer 'opinion', only 'analysis'. A lot claim it's too left-leaning, but I don't see that. If anything, they're somewhat too kind to the government, presumably because their future depends on them.

I rarely watch TV - going to find the news is better than being fed it.

Fact-checking:
- Wikipedia as an easy starting point
- Full Fact for UK-specific calling out of BS
- The Register for tech news and good details behind any tech stories in the above sources

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
This is one of the least factual sites.
Please give us some examples, plus the correct facts (and source) so we can be educated.
Brexit-related if poss - that would help maintain the thread consistency.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Please give us some examples, plus the correct facts (and source) so we can be educated.
That will definitely lead to a load of old guff, eg 350m and most of the Sayings of Nigel about how many hard working furriners are queuing to get in to contribute to the economy.

Reactions: Woosh

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
That will definitely lead to a load of old guff, eg 350m and most of the Sayings of Nigel about how many hard working furriners are queuing to get in to contribute to the economy.
I'm genuinely open to alternative sources of info. Let's see what's unfactual in Wikipedia about Brexit, be offered other factual sources, and go from there.
Open minds, and all that, eh.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
But the vast majority of Wikipedia is filled with valuable and accurate information." ... The paper found that Wikipedia's entries had an overall accuracy rate of 80 percent, whereas the other encyclopedias had an accuracy rate of 95 to 96 percent.

Reliability of Wikipedia - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Reliability_of_Wikipedia

This is from Wikipedia itself, as for the Brexit lies put forward by both sides its in the past now and we will just have to get on with it.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I'm genuinely open to alternative sources of info. Let's see what's unfactual in Wikipedia about Brexit, be offered other factual sources, and go from there.
Open minds, and all that, eh.
Open minds and an outward outlook vs closed mind, inward looking and isolationist (and heading for poverty).