Priceless, so simple for small businesses to sort out. Good old BREXIT!

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
This is from Wikipedia itself, as for the Brexit lies put forward by both sides its in the past now and we will just have to get on with it.
Very useful link thanks, as is their 'Reliability_of_Wikipedia' entry. I like the way they have self-referential entries.

That's an appropriately fitting and underwhelming epitaph for the whole shebang:

tombstone.jpg

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reliability of Wikipedia - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Reliability_of_Wikipedia

This is from Wikipedia itself, as for the Brexit lies put forward by both sides its in the past now and we will just have to get on with it.
that shows the good side of wikipedia.
Members are self critical, a bit like this forum really.
You wouldn't find that sort of self censure on our dailies, tabloids, twitter, facebook, instagram, youtube etc.
The comparison with Encyclopædia Britannica, The Dictionary of American History and American National Biography Online is rather flattering, in view that articles are written and edited mostly by non-professional members.
Wiki is also vast, much bigger than those sources.

A 2008 paper in Reference Services Review compared nine Wikipedia entries on historical topics to their counterparts in Encyclopædia Britannica, The Dictionary of American History and American National Biography Online. The paper found that Wikipedia's entries had an overall accuracy rate of 80 percent, whereas the other encyclopedias had an accuracy rate of 95 to 96 percent.[63]

Reactions: richtea99

MarcusT

Pedelecer
May 5, 2019
NE Italy
Mind boggling, but I have to say I'm not surprised since it was always apparent the Brexiters had no idea what leaving the EU entailed.

I tried to warn in my post before the referendum that started the Brexit Thread:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/brexit-for-once-some-facts.24369/post-308607

but as the responses showed, the brexiters were close mind deniers.
I believe many Brexiteers were not closed minded, but simply believed the lies that the hard core was spewing. And there were some incredible "alternate facts" being told by the highest offices.
For most, it was a fairy tale, for a few it was delusional prejudice.

Reactions: jimriley

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
I believe many Brexiteers were not closed minded, but simply believed the lies that the hard core was spewing. And there were some incredible "alternate facts" being told by the highest offices.
For most, it was a fairy tale, for a few it was delusional prejudice.
I recall that no structured debate was tolerated, any questioning being drowned out by continuous chanting of "project fear, project fear, -------" .

DBye

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2016

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Just FYI on the reliability of Wikipedia I think it is worth noting they don't accept the Daily Mail as a source of information as they consider it to be "generally unreliable"!

The Mail probably doesn't use Wikipedia as a source of information ... even the name has too many syllables.

• :D
Reactions: richtea99 and Woosh
D

Deleted member 33385

not necessary. For trade, customs union (like Turkey is inside EU customs union) is enough for goods to move cost effectively. Theresa May got that but her deal did not pass.
What is the cost reduction when moving ebike kits or parts from China to Turkey?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What is the cost reduction when moving ebike kits or parts from China to Turkey?
nothing if you want to stay legal.
You have to disclose that the parts were originally manufactured in China.
If we are in the EU customs union, there is no longer rules of origin.
Parts that we buy in from China to put into our e-bikes assembled in the UK will not need to be declared and paying EU import duty again.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
In Ireland "Mr Martin (Teashop,FF) said Irish agencies were working “flat out” to ensure checks and controls were carried out as efficiently as possible, with over 1,500 additional staff working on customs.
In response, Ms Murphy (independent) said the only reality people will face with Brexit is a 50% increase in the cost of their shopping basket."
Ouch! *If true* and it's same story in UK, then the poor will suffer most :eek:

• Informative
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 33385

nothing if you want to stay legal.
...hmmm... there's definitely something about the Turkish Connection I don't understand! Perhaps they sew ebike parts into tourists? So what's the deal Mr. Woosh? How does the Turkish ebike import finangle work?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

It was always going to be the poor that suffered the most Mike.

Many mortgages rely on jobs, and many people rent mortgaged properties - nearly everyone is in one of those two groups. The homeless problem may well become gargantuan, and the people with that problem more varied than usual - and quite soon.

Last edited:

Emanresu

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2019
One of my first jobs was at HMRC in Southend, checking import paperwork to make sure the trader had used the correct customs classification - and paid the correct duty. There were hundreds of us, dealing with the volume of paperwork before the Single Market.

When the SM came in, we were let go and some went as far as the Russian ex-republics to show them how to collect customs duties and VAT (using an AK47 usually)

To give some hope to @Whisper and other bike companies, the level of customs error then was low as companies get used to new ways of working. The paperwork may seem a pain but computers systems now are quite capable of handling the complexity cheaper and quicker as long as you avoid the PICNIC problem (Problem In Chair and not in Computer)

If you were to accept advice, though it hasn't been asked, find someone that knows the current system and pay what they ask until you get used to the new ways. Now where did I put that AK?

Good luck.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I send any item to Northern Ireland, I have to fill in this form for the courier:

Commercial Invoice
Invoice Date:Invoice number:
SELLER/SHIPPER (Name, Full address, Country):

CONSIGNEE (Name, Full address, Country):
Seller/Shipper telephone number:
Consignee telephone number:
Seller/Shipper email address:
Consignee email address:
Seller/Shipper EORI number:
Consignee EORI number:
Seller/Shipper VAT number:
INCOTERM:Reason for Export:
Total Packages:
Total Gross weight (kg):Packaging type:Place of loading:
Currency of sale:
Consignment ref:Final Destination (Country):Mode of transport:
Additional instructions/information:

I/We declare that the goods listed on this document originate in the countries specified and satisfy the rules of origin governing preferential trade with those countries. – Delete where appropriate

Commodity Description
HS/Tariff Code
Country of origin
Units
Unit Weight KG
Total Weight KG
Unit Price
Total Price
TOTALS
I/We hereby certify that this invoice shows the actual price of the goods described, that no other invoice has or will be issued and that all details are true and correct.

Signed:

Date:
Transportation costs
Insurance costs
Additional costs
VAT
Total Invoice Value

what do you think?

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Problem growing for Ireland too, sounds worrying, gov training and assistance available, but..
Stena meanwhile, have moved a new, chinese built, ferry onto the IR-FR route. The largest freight ship to dock in Rosslare (insert 'tight fit' joke here ;-))
Marc explains it better, but it's a lot to take in, does he breath thru his ears?
Hold on, hold on, d'you mean no more 'Hobnobs'? :eek:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

what do you think?

I think that getting a computer to fill these forms out automatically for you by sourcing the relevant data from your own business database which communicates with an entire chain of multi-country databases in real time as items are scanned and moved from country to country, is what should be happening. Nobody should be pushing pens!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I do keep HS/tariff codes on a spreadsheet somewhere on my PC but unit weights? it's a bit OTT.

Reactions: pentiumofborg