Prices of the electricity we use to charge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Why is there no equivalent formal term 'housing poverty', defined in a similar way to fuel poverty? Lifting people out of that would fix fuel and food poverties in a stroke.
Freeing up enough money for the absolute poorest on benefits, who have most of their rent paid by the state will be a challenge... With interest rates and other landlord costs rising, of course will many rents. I can't see any solution which this Tory government woud find palatable.

Unions agitating, fuel price rises, inflation (not runaway - yet) plus pandemic: Will it be worse than the 70s? :eek: Will the peasants be revolting? (Or more revolting than usual?) How soon will workhouses return?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Indeed - it will ploughed into the local council "help for those who need it most" pot and then kept out the reach of those who do need it with a ton of red tape.
Some Councils have been struggling paying out the £150 rebate - adding costs to their operations through changing of systems and hiring more staff, which will add to future Council Tax bills. Why didn't they just instruct the HMRC to deposit £150 into every eligible person's bank account? It would have worked out cheaper IMHO.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Depending on bean type: The only way to live on less than 30p a day relatively healthily is by mostly eating beansprouts, until raw beans rise in price. Minimal cooking if desired, therefore mimimal fuel use. They contain vitamin C, so fruit would't be as necessary... but cooking destroys vitamin C. :( On the other hand, cooking also destroys ecoli :) which may lurk on the sprouts of some beans. (Kidney beans and black beans are poisonous till cooked thoroughly BTW, sprouted or not)

I still haven't finished eating all those beans I bought at the start of this pandemic.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A windfall tax wouldn't hit pension much at all; daft fearmongering :rolleyes:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Will the peasants be revolting?
The peasants are too poor to to revolt not to mention the prices of a train ticket to get to the revolt if the service is running, joking aside - I have been too poor especially in the early days of my illness and again it boils down to system change without it, people can't be motivated to work if work doesn't pay for the basics with room for health and upward mobility. I hate to use the US as example, but it's a fine example of WRONG - The current state of the trucking industry is a prime example of the "system" squeezing every possible buck out the workers until they all quit or someone dies. The worse part is, people are dying from over worked truckers and still no ones doing much about it - John Oliver did a good Youtube show on the downfall of US trucking with a sprinkle of good humour, I won't link it because it contains some coarse language but although it's a good watch it's also sickening.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
The peasants are too poor to to revolt not to mention the prices of a train ticket to get to the revolt if the service is running, joking aside - I have been too poor especially in the early days of my illness and again it boils down to system change without it, people can't be motivated to work if work doesn't pay for the basics with room for health and upward mobility. I hate to use the US as example, but it's a fine example or WRONG - The current state of the trucking industry is a prime example of the "system" squeezing every possible buck out the workers until they all quit or someone dies. The worse part is, people are dying from over worked truckers and still no ones doing much about it - John Oliver did a good TY show on the downfall of US trucking with a sprinkle of good humour, I won't link it because it contains some coarse language but although it's a good watch it's also sickening.
And of course you can't quit if there is no better alternative, so the stats are skewed, so the picture can be presented as less bleak than it is.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The peasants are too poor to to revolt not to mention the prices of a train ticket to get to the revolt if the service is running, joking aside - I have been too poor especially in the early days of my illness and again it boils down to system change without it, people can't be motivated to work if work doesn't pay for the basics with room for health and upward mobility. I hate to use the US as example, but it's a fine example of WRONG - The current state of the trucking industry is a prime example of the "system" squeezing every possible buck out the workers until they all quit or someone dies. The worse part is, people are dying from over worked truckers and still no ones doing much about it - John Oliver did a good Youtube show on the downfall of US trucking with a sprinkle of good humour, I won't link it because it contains some coarse language but although it's a good watch it's also sickening.

That was an excellent segment:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Look at Iran's current affairs when it comes to subsidies, it will come in the form or guise as "credits" or a UBI either way we all like to think it would come without caveats, however in the protection of wealth there will be a "price" for everything. I am not optimistic for the future of the lower to middle classes, the powers that be will squeeze until there's nothing left then gift us a hand out and squeeze that.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Look at Iran's current affairs when it comes to subsidies, it will come in the form or guise as "credits" or a UBI either way we all like to think it would come without caveats, however in the protection of wealth there will be a "price" for everything. I am not optimistic for the future of the lower to middle classes, the powers that be will squeeze until there's nothing left then gift us a hand out and squeeze that.
That John Oliver segment was an eye-opener, the working poor are heading for slavery by the back door.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As if taxing the wealthy is going to be easy lol:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Quantitative Easing has made the rich richer.

Oxfam "is calling for a temporary 90% tax on excess corporate profits, as well as a one-time tax on billionaires' wealth. "

There's no "Trickle down" - it mostly trickles sideways worldwide into stocks, shares and other assets.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
More dithering about a Windfall Tax:

How will I charge my pedelec? :eek:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
This is only the tip of the fundamentals of a decaying system. If you liked that then the "economic debt cycle" and the "cycles of history" by Ray Dalio, I know he's American and one of the biggest hedge fund dudes this world has ever seen, but he knows his stuff... Even though I take information from an American stand point, it is hard to deny that what happens over there is exported 9 out 10 times to the UK, not mentioning that little baby Boris was actually born in New York. Google his full name :oops:

There is far too much money from the likes of QE, something like 30 Trillion has been created since 2020 from central banks around the world include the UK. When they first did in 2008 it went to the banks, although unfair it helped prevent it overloading the system and limited inflation, now it's monetizing Gov debt, inflation is always a monetary phenomenon, a small amount of inflation from supply and demand is normal that would be the 2% they target but these 9%^ rates are surplus cash. And looking at a basket of goods in 1980 to measure our inflation rate now it would be 19+% - Things can only get worse and, tin foil hats people, I think it's to pave a way to the CBDC, end the banks and reinforce the Central banks power.

the working poor are heading for slavery by the back door.
I see this more and more encroaching into our society. Every time I reach a stable financial footing something, in this case Energy bills halts my progress, I am glad I ditched debt a few years ago, debt free since 2011.

There's no "Trickle down" - it mostly trickles sideways worldwide into stocks, shares and other assets.
It's trickle up! This is what tends to happen towards the end of a debt base system.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The worse part is, people are dying from over worked truckers and still no ones doing much about it - John Oliver did a good Youtube show on the downfall of US trucking with a sprinkle of good humour, I won't link it because it contains some coarse language but although it's a good watch it's also sickening.
I've haven't missed any episodes of John Oliver's "Last Week Tonight" - here's another excellent segment, about data brokers:

Last edited:
Reactions: Croxden and PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This is only the tip of the fundamentals of a decaying system. If you liked that then the "economic debt cycle" and the "cycles of history" by Ray Dalio, I know he's American and one of the biggest hedge fund dudes this world has ever seen, but he knows his stuff... Even though I take information from an American stand point, it is hard to deny that what happens over there is exported 9 out 10 times to the UK, not mentioning that little baby Boris was actually born in New York. Google his full name :oops:

There is far too much money from the likes of QE, something like 30 Trillion has been created since 2020 from central banks around the world include the UK. When they first did in 2008 it went to the banks, although unfair it helped prevent it overloading the system and limited inflation, now it's monetizing Gov debt, inflation is always a monetary phenomenon, a small amount of inflation from supply and demand is normal that would be the 2% they target but these 9%^ rates are surplus cash. And looking at a basket of goods in 1980 to measure our inflation rate now it would be 19+% - Things can only get worse and, tin foil hats people, I think it's to pave a way to the CBDC, end the banks and reinforce the Central banks power.

I see this more and more encroaching into our society. Every time I reach a stable financial footing something, in this case Energy bills halts my progress, I am glad I ditched debt a few years ago, debt free since 2011.

It's trickle up! This is what tends to happen towards the end of a debt base system.
This has been quite a long period of such high income inequality - we've ben due a painful rebalancing for some time. It seems unlikely that further extreme use of magic money printing machines will prevent what's coming. Deffo time to buy Krugerrands while wearing adult diapers. :( Then pivot to buy up mega cheap real estate when property prices collapse, as the rich did after the 1920s.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PC2017

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
There is international group think going on amongst central bankers. They are stuck in a Keynsian loop that is based on false premises. This tells them that they can print their way out of trouble. So we arrive at the insanity that you get out of a debt bubble by creating more debt !:eek: No-one questions why the central bank inflation target of 2% is such a good idea. Good for who?
Certainly not for savers or those on a fixed income. 2% inflation robs you of 50% of your spending power over 20 years. Given current official reported inflation figures (never believe them, they're deliberatly structured to make not look so bad) this 50% reduction in spending power could happen in as little as 3 years.
That is if your savings are in the form of fiat currency (that's the pounds in your pocket or any other worthless government scrip you care to have).
As mentioned earlier, it's time to buy gold.
I have a British Britannia (1 oz gold coin) bought in 2007. It was £385 then, they are now going for £1580. That's inflation.
Brittania's and sovereign's are capital gains tax free. It is a way of protecting your hard earned from the ravishes of inflation which, despite central bank protestations, is going to get worse and run until bad debt and mal investment is cleared out of the system. This will be delayed because the only thing that the Bank of England and the treasury know is to print more money every time the stock market goes down or a bank is existensially threatened because it has over stretched out of greed. FYI, they are all overstretched.

Want to know what's really going on?
Ray Dalio is a good start. Look for Ego von Greyerz, Alisdair Macleod, Mathew Pipenburg, James Turk.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
it's time to buy gold
Eye it would be nice, but no matter how hard I try I wouldn't of been able to save enough to purchase gold. The UK gov allowed me savings and now expect me to part with these poultry savings to purchase food, I am, simply put, doomed. And of course, I need a new a bike seat, new sun prescription glasses and a new microwave the list is endless. Oh well as the saying goes ...t happens.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the only thing that the Bank of England and the treasury know is to print more money every time the stock market goes down or a bank is existensially threatened because it has over stretched out of greed. FYI, they are all overstretched.

Want to know what's really going on?
Ray Dalio is a good start. Look for Ego von Greyerz, Alisdair Macleod, Mathew Pipenburg, James Turk.
There is one solution they aren't speaking of, the chaos of another world war.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017