Prices of the electricity we use to charge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Want to know what's really going on?
Ray Dalio is a good start. Look for Ego von Greyerz, Alisdair Macleod, Mathew Pipenburg, James Turk.
Hedge funds do know what's going on, but they largely profit from doom talk, short selling and destruction... therefore I read live tweets etc. with caution.

Eye it would be nice, but no matter how hard I try I wouldn't of been able to save enough to purchase gold.
Some jewellers will sell you small quantities of unformed gold, but you may not be certain of it's purity until you try to sell it! If you do buy gold from jewellers, never give them your real name and address, or you might be faced with double barrelled shotguns at dawn. :eek:

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There is international group think going on amongst central bankers. They are stuck in a Keynsian loop that is based on false premises. This tells them that they can print their way out of trouble. So we arrive at the insanity that you get out of a debt bubble by creating more debt !:eek: No-one questions why the central bank inflation target of 2% is such a good idea. Good for who?
I blame the credit agencies Moody's, Fitch and S&P, and the measures they use to produce credit ratings.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Bitcoin is digital gold.
Then they buy it all as a unknown "whale" then sell and crash the market or worse confiscate the lot as illegal currency.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The technology behind Bitcoin is interesting. Bitcoin, and others, are a total joke. As a store of value it is extremely eratic. To call them currencies is a misnoma. Where can you spend any digital currency? If you save it, where is it? If the power goes down what value does it have? What does a bitcoin look like, anyone seen one?
Of course it's no worse than your standard British pound (name your currency) once paid into a bank. We are conditioned to believe that, 'I have money in the bank'. But, according to banking law, once currency is paid into a bank it is no longer yours and becomes an asset of the bank, and you become an investor in that bank. This means that in the event of the bank getting into trouble you will be treated accordingly and be given a percentage return on your investment.
Of course there is the £80k guarentee where any 'deposits' up to this level will be returned in full. But since the crisis in Cyprus this has changed - not that any one has overtly told us. It's hidden in all those terms and conditions updates you get evry month or so. Written in such tortuous technical language that a lexicographer would get a headache.
OK, so I'll hold notes instead ! Good start but do realise that it's loosing value by the day. Currently that's becoming enough to actually be noticed.
We are all being robbed of what little wealth we have by the biggest wealth transfer in recorded history..
Governments now have no option but to inflate their way out of the huge debts that have been accumulated over the last 50 years. Thus destroying the value, and therefore spending power, of currencies. What we are seeing at the moment is not prices going up but the value of the currency going down. Yes the ukrainian war, sanctions, covid etc etc all have an input, but fundamentally governments and central banks are deliberately creating inflation whilst telling us that they are fighting it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What we are seeing at the moment is not prices going up but the value of the currency going down.
governments and central banks are deliberately creating inflation whilst telling us that they are fighting it.
I agree with you there.
The main issue I have with this government is inflation as a remedy hits the lower income classes disproportionately. Those who have money also have a lot of assets which don't go down in price and some even go up.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I agree with you there.
The main issue I have with this government is inflation as a remedy hits the lower income classes disproportionately. Those who have money also have a lot of assets which don't go down in price and some even go up.
And that's one indication of the transfer of wealth from those who are asset poor to those who are asset rich and to the government themselves so they can make themselves popular by giving us back some of our own money in the form of grants and benefits.

• Agree
Reactions: guerney and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The technology behind Bitcoin is interesting. Bitcoin, and others, are a total joke. As a store of value it is extremely eratic. To call them currencies is a misnoma. Where can you spend any digital currency? If you save it, where is it? If the power goes down what value does it have? What does a bitcoin look like, anyone seen one?
Of course it's no worse than your standard British pound (name your currency) once paid into a bank. We are conditioned to believe that, 'I have money in the bank'. But, according to banking law, once currency is paid into a bank it is no longer yours and becomes an asset of the bank, and you become an investor in that bank. This means that in the event of the bank getting into trouble you will be treated accordingly and be given a percentage return on your investment.
Of course there is the £80k guarentee where any 'deposits' up to this level will be returned in full. But since the crisis in Cyprus this has changed - not that any one has overtly told us. It's hidden in all those terms and conditions updates you get evry month or so. Written in such tortuous technical language that a lexicographer would get a headache.
OK, so I'll hold notes instead ! Good start but do realise that it's loosing value by the day. Currently that's becoming enough to actually be noticed.
We are all being robbed of what little wealth we have by the biggest wealth transfer in recorded history..
Governments now have no option but to inflate their way out of the huge debts that have been accumulated over the last 50 years. Thus destroying the value, and therefore spending power, of currencies. What we are seeing at the moment is not prices going up but the value of the currency going down. Yes the ukrainian war, sanctions, covid etc etc all have an input, but fundamentally governments and central banks are deliberately creating inflation whilst telling us that they are fighting it.
Unfortunately, the UK has to hold pace with the USA... but by increasing wealth inequality, they're hastening the acrapalypse - fine if you're hoarding gold or are a hedge fund profiting from doom; most people will be fscked and fscked for decades. As long as it doesn't happen while they're in office, they can blame someone else.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Then they buy it all as a unknown "whale" then sell and crash the market or worse confiscate the lot as illegal currency.
Bitcoin could crash economies if allowed to persist, if coins approach billions or trillions in "Value". No wonder Santoshi Nakamoto's real identity is unknown... They can only confiscate from financial entities in their jurisdiction. I suppose big investors could move to the Central African Republic.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
And that's one indication of the transfer of wealth from those who are asset poor to those who are asset rich and to the government themselves so they can make themselves popular by giving us back some of our own money in the form of grants and benefits.
..and tax cuts, just before the next erection.

• :D

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Where can you spend any digital currency?
Technically you could move to El Salvador, they probs need the digital cash as they reportedly lost millions when bitcoin lost value last week(ish) - I agree with you Benjahmin I would add that the original concept has lost all meaning, it was designed to allow people who missed out on the Global banking system because of lack of ID, poverty and dis-trust, to trade and earn without Gov interfering, a fish for a day or teach them to fish kinda thing, then the rich took it and started trading it.

fine if you're hoarding gold
If you mean a country stock pile like China then yes, but I, never owning gold, can't see it as a means of exchange but as a store of value maybe, if currency has all but gone and a Central bank digital currency take hold, then what? And even some of the "influencers" have even stopped short of "bullion" vaults and gold allocation, with fractional reserve banking who to say the allocators aren't fractional reserving the gold? This is just my take on it mind.

Cheeky ;)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
..and tax cuts, just before the next erection.
Cheeky ;)
... all over in a day or two, like Sting's (allegedly)

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If you mean a country stock pile like China then yes, but I, never owning gold, can't see it as a means of exchange but as a store of value maybe, if currency has all but gone and a Central bank digital currency take hold, then what? And even some of the "influencers" have even stopped short of "bullion" vaults and gold allocation, with fractional reserve banking who to say the allocators aren't fractional reserving the gold? This is just my take on it mind.
After another great depression, when fiat currency is sane once more, those who converted assets into gold, could sell to buy (much cheaper) assets again? Isn't that what some did before the great depression? Resulting in multi-generational wealth which persists to this day.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Technically you could move to El Salvador, they probs need the digital cash as they reportedly lost millions when bitcoin lost value last week(ish) - I agree with you Benjahmin I would add that the original concept has lost all meaning, it was designed to allow people who missed out on the Global banking system because of lack of ID, poverty and dis-trust, to trade and earn without Gov interfering, a fish for a day or teach them to fish kinda thing, then the rich took it and started trading it.
It's certainly much more volatile than fiat currencies... The storage mined coins seem to be gaining traction - less polluting - the trick is backing a winner early.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015