Prices of the electricity we use to charge

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
The storage mined coins seem to be gaining traction - less polluting
All I want from the Chancellor is GTX 1070 Ti - Could PC components be deflationary, well it's old tech so they should be....

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
All I want from the Chancellor is GTX 1070 Ti - Could PC components be deflationary, well it's old tech so they should be....
After sneaky Sunak gives you £400 for fuel, you can justify a £200 spend on a used 1070 Ti? Bonus, if it hasn't been cooked through overclocking. But that'd leave you £1000+ short for fuel... I'm starting to wish Ukraine would surrender. But it's too late - if Russia didn't originally have expansion plans beyond Ukraine, they've certainly war-gamed it now (at the very least).

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
£400 isn't means tested :mad:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
£200 spend on a used 1070 Ti?
Either way I am short, I'll only buy from CEX 24 month warranty ;) ...

Rishi to the rescue... slight of hand stimulus, helicopter cash or UBI...

Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
"Every home to get £400 to help with energy bills"

I wonder how the Queen will spend her £1600?

Buckingham Palace, Sandringham, Windsor Castle, Balmoral.

The £800 will help Boris recoup his fine too, 10 Downing Street and Chequers.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The £400 isn't extra though afaict, they haven't been clear in the release of this. It already includes the £150 that has meant to have been handed back via the council tax plus and another £50 as they changed it to £200, so most might see another £200 - £250 possibly. It is all abit of a pigs ear at the mo.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
The £400 isn't extra though
There was an interview with the Chancellor by Martin Lewis yesterday near after the announcement - And a quick read on the Gov website I read it as £400 and you still get £150 Council Tax as that has already been dished out to many (not me sadly), however the £400 will be given direct to the (your) energy firm in Oct

I wonder how the Queen will spend her £1600?
Heating one room for 1 hour, I imagine :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
M270s prolong
prolong I'd lean towards, they'll go through em in week or so and require more, thus increasing Nancy Pelosi's investment portfolio profits even more, ooh sorry her Husbands portfolio :rolleyes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
"energy market reform" Could this be the systemic change I was alluding to in my early posts... The fundamentals are on the right tracks however this also could be the domino effect of sweeping reform across the entire system, a wolf in sheep's clothing, perhaps a nice easy path to Autocracy. Tin foil hats people. I always said that if a UBI ever reared it's head the speculative and stock markets would have to be disbanded or segregated for the elite and super wealthy either way Capitalism is not going to happy.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I always said that if a UBI ever reared it's head the speculative and stock markets would have to be disbanded or segregated for the elite and super wealthy either way Capitalism is not going to happy.
The poor MUST suffer, there can never be UBI!

• :D
Reactions: PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not as risky as printing over a trillion pounds. This government is not fit to lead.

As expected, Sunak cools on windfall tax

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Quintessential capitalism, blame the workers for asking for a pay rise, why not fire them all and really show em with a long overdue recession, scrap that ones on the way, dare I say a depression. Oh and don't forget the other G20 that added 29 trillion to the world balance sheet minting some other nice billionaires along the way. Lets not forget the wise words of Milton Friedman.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Why aren’t energy prices advertised to consumers in pence / kWh? 8 p per kWh of gas and 30p per kWh of electricity for example? Instead we have this woolly comparison of cost to supply “the average home.”

If I go to a petrol station, I can see how much per unit (in this case litres), I will pay. There isn’t a sign saying, “it costs £102 to fill the average car.” The latter would be mental, so why is it ok for energy companies to get away with it? The butcher prices his sausages by the kilo, not £X to feed the average sausage eater.

Almost everything is advertised at a price per some kind of unit, except energy. You can find the cost / kWh of domestic energy, but a lot of effort has been invested in hiding it from us. I think it’s deliberately vague to frustrate and hinder shopping around.

Standing charges are another tool used to disguise energy costs. X pence / day standard charge + Y pence / kWh, versus A pence / day standing charge + B pence / kWh. It doesn’t make it easy to compare, and that’s wrong. A garage doesn’t charge 170 p / litre plus a ten quid to use the petrol pump, whilst the one down the road charges 180 p / litre but only a fiver to use the pump. Again, that would be a mental, but not too mental for the energy companies to use.

Energy companies are allowed to get away with this deliberately confusion pricing policy. It’s wrong and it’s corrupt.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I agree. Also, the way the bills are presented, it's very hard and confusing to see how much a bill actually is. Presented upfront is how much in credit/debit you are. You have to go digging to find out how much you've actually been charged.
This matters to me as I was doing my self employed year end books yesterday and needed the total.
In the process I also discovered I'm only getting two bills/year. When did that happen? And one bill was the majority with the other being like a make up bill.
Power companies hide behind a screen of deliberate complexity and obfuscation. Their spokesmen (and it is almost all men from what I've heard) should go into politics 'cos they're really good at answering a different question.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and tillson

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I was with the very cheap Avro energy who went bust and I was shunted to Octopus Energy. I provide monthly readings to Octopus and they produce very quickly a monthly bill based on my readings. I agree that the information on energy bills is hard to compare, but I just look at the two total figures that include everything including vat and then can compare with my meter readings to know how much in actual money each unit of gas and electricity cost. I don't begrudge Avro's treatment of me as I had a very cheap year of energy. It was lovely that year to put the heating on without worry!

Reactions: tillson