pro rider electric bike help

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
Hi im new to e bikes i was giving a old pro rider electric bike thats not working all that works on the bike is the break light where do i start looking to find out whats up with it help

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
1. Measure the voltage at controller's battery connector. Obviously should be battery voltage.
2. Measure the voltage on the 5v rail. You can measure that between any ground (black) and any of the reds going to throttle, PAS or motor halls. obviously, it sghould be around 5v.
3. Check throttle signal wire, which is the one that's not red or black. Should give about 1v to 4v when you twist the throttle. If there's more than one wire, your meter will find it. It's the one that's between 1v and 4v, assuming that it works.
4. Check that the PAS is pulsing. Measure the PAS signal wire while turning the pedals slowly. Should pulse 5v on and off every time a magnet passes the sensor. the signal wire is the one that's not red or black.
5. Check the motor hall signal wires (blue green and yellow) on the connector at the controller. They should each pulse with 5v going on and off as you rotate the wheel BACKWARDS.

If your bike passes all those tests, it will work. The test that it doesn't pass shows where the problem is.

Reactions: Rudolf Roskopp

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
if the display does not work would it stop the bike from working
If the display doesn't switch on, it's a sign that you have failed test 1 above.

You can work the bike without the display if it's faulty, but you need to join some wires. First the bike needs to pass test 1.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
thanks i was told that the dispay might have had it can i just buy one like it and where can i gey one like it lol im at a loss help

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thanks i was told that the dispay might have had it can i just buy one like it and where can i gey one like it lol im at a loss help
Don't guess and don't buy anything until you know what's wrong. The Tests will show you where your problem is. Do them first.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
cor thanks for your help if it comes to it can i just replase the controller and all other componants

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
cor thanks for your help if it comes to it can i just replase the controller and all other componants
There are all sorts of things you can do. The indications are that the problem is before the controller. Test 1 will confirm. No point in discussing further until you've done that.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
There are all sorts of things you can do. The indications are that the problem is before the controller. Test 1 will confirm. No point in discussing further until you've done that.
im geting power to the back light and nothing else

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Gary do you have a meter to read voltage ?
If not spend £5 and buy one first other wise we can't help much without them (voltage readings).

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
ok thanks i wiil look it to and have ago and i might get back to you lol sorry i wish you was my next door neighbour thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can get one cheaply on ebay, look for digital multimeter.
If you need help in using one we can guide you in to taking the necessary readings.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
does this wiring look right
It's impossible to follow the wires in that photo. You need to untangle them and spread them out so that we can see where every wire goes.

Your blue phase wire isn't connected. Your bike won't work like that, but it's not the cause of your problem. Likewise, there is some bare metal on your green and yellow phase wires, which is asking for trouble.

You need to do test 1 in the list. Shove your probes under the sleeves on the red and black battery wires to measure the voltage coming into the controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Indications are that damage may have occurred seeing the dodgy phases, vfr has initiated proceedings so best to follow his advice in order as he has asked in #2.