pro rider electric bike help

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Start again:
1. Measure between the thick red and black wires that join the battery to the controller. The battery must be switched on and measure while connected, like you did before.

2. Measure between the thin red and the black wires on that flat black 6-pin connector. Make sure that the probes make contact with the metal. You can unplug that connector while you measure, and if you can't make contact with your probes at the back, you can put the probes on the pins, but you must be extremely careful only to touch those two outer pins otherwise you can kill something.

Both of those measurements should show 39v.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Both 39,4
Good. In that case, the control panel has power going to it, so, unless it's faulty, it should switch on. Even if it's faulty, you often see a flash or something on it when you press the button.

What do you see when you press the on switch?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
there is no lights or anythink
OK, it must be stone dead. Maybe a wire is pulled off inside.

We need to do two things now:
1. Find out what's wrong with the control panel. Some are glued together and some are screwed. have a look underneath to see if there are any screws. If there are, you can take it apart and see inside what the problem is. If it's glued, the only thing you can do is replace it

2 Find out if the rest of the bike is working. You can do that by disconnecting the control panel at the 6-way connector, then take a paper clip bent into a U shape and shove it up the back of the pink and red wires. Be very careful not to touch any of the other connections because that will kill the controller - just the pink and the red at the back of the connector! While the paperclip is touching the pink and red, see if the motor goes with the throttle. You might need a friend to help because the wheel has to be in the air while you operate the throttle and keep the paper clip in place. Sometimes, the paper clip will jam in there and stay put while you test.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Typical! the one bit i need to see is out of focus. Can you do the first (right hand) photo again making sure that the end where the wires attach is very clear?

While you're at it, can you do the same for the other side. Again, the bits I need to see are out of focus.

There's something weird, like a burn, between the red wire and the big resistor, but I can't see what it is in either photo.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks. I don't see any faults, nor any sign of water ingress, so it's a mystery what killed it.

If you have a soldering iron, you can drizzle a bit of solder between the pads where the pink and red wires are soldered to make a bridge, which will keep the motor controller permanently switched on for testing. If the motor works, you can keep it like that while you wait for a replacement panel. With that bridge, the throttle should work and you get level 1 pedal assist.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
OK, with the bridge in place, check the voltage between the red and black wires on the throttle connector. It should be around 5v if the controller is switched on.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi is this the throttle lead
yes. You can also use the red and black in the PAS or hall sensor connectors. They're all 5v, and it's just a test to see if the controller is switched on. When you do the test, make sure that the clip is definitely making contact, but don't let it touch any of the other wires.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
its working i
Thanks. I don't see any faults, nor any sign of water ingress, so it's a mystery what killed it.

If you have a soldering iron, you can drizzle a bit of solder between the pads where the pink and red wires are soldered to make a bridge, which will keep the motor controller permanently switched on for testing. If the motor works, you can keep it like that while you wait for a replacement panel. With that bridge, the throttle should work and you get level 1 pedal assist.
soldering iron, you can drizzle a bit of solder between the pads that works i carnt thank you enought all the led lights on the control panel are a light can i ask you one think the key in the battery as broken of in the battery you dont know if i can replace the lock once again thank you so much gary

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are a lot of different pro Rider bikes. assuming that you have the common Voyager or any other with a silver fish battery, you remove the 4 screws from the top and wiggle out that top part plastic part that contains the lock. Take a photo of the lock to show what it is because there are a few different ones.

When we can see which one it is, we can probably help with a replacement.

garysnooker

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2020
thank you i wiil take pic tomorrow all the light on the controler seem to be working as normal would that be right with your fix

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
thank you i wiil take pic tomorrow all the light on the controler seem to be working as normal would that be right with your fix
I've never shorted the wires in the displwy before. I normally disconnect and use a jump lead between the two pins on the connector. The lights being on all the time won't do any harm. Are you getting all three levels of pedal assist?