Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
All I can say is, that I sincerely hope that if you or Woosh, contract this virus, you don't miss out on a hospital bed because it's been taken up by someone who thought it was fine to take a jaunt into the country to walk a dog.
If I get it bad, I would probably choose to stay at home.
Only 25% of our at risk group recovered from ICU and the treatment is quite invasive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All I can say is, that I sincerely hope that if you or Woosh, contract this virus, you don't miss out on a hospital bed because it's been taken up by someone who thought it was fine to take a jaunt into the country to walk a dog.
You really aren't thinking are you? All any of us can do is minimise our own risk, and that is what I'm doing.

I've tried twice to get out for necessary exercise by walking in my urban home area, and both times its proved impossible to maintain 2 metres separation at all times, despite every effort.

So I get my car out and drive with the air con switched to recirculate until I cross the nearby countryside boundary. I head for one of the lonely spots I know where I can park the car and go for a walk in total isolation, knowing that in the unlikely event someone else does appear, I can easily leave well over 2 metres separation to pass.

That is totally safe for everyone, which walking in my urban home area certainly is not.

Putting it bluntly, it's your advice which is dangerous to others. What you and all the other little dictators are doing is ignoring the government advice which states very clearly:

" At all times try to maintain 2 metres separation."

Note the word "try", and that is what I'm doing very effectively, obeying that guidance.

D

Deleted member 25121

driving out to the countryside for a walk or a ride is a sensible thing to do for those who live in large cities.
Not according to the police

We have been warned.

• :D
  • Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and Amoto65
D

Deleted member 25121

Unfortunately, here "one size does not fit all".
We live in the sticks and have access to our own land and to quiet lanes, a Common and the footpath, bridleway & byway network. So getting exercise is readily available.
Contrast that with living on the tenth floor of a multiple occupancy block, the exercise opportunities.
If we were there rather than here we would consider using our vehicle to gain some exercise as "essential travel".
The police don't consider that to be essential travel:

People living in flats are able to leave the flats for a local walk.

• Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and Amoto65

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not according to the police

We have been warned.
The police don't make the rules and should read them before getting heavy handed.

The government have been sensible in using the word "try" to maintain 2 metres separation. For many that is impossible in our local areas but easy to achieve in the countryside, so that is what we do.

• Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

One farmer the other day told someone walking their dog to go home and not put others at risk, for his troubles he got a beating. Plod are looking for the offender.
Good, let's hope they're caught. This shows the mentality of some of the people breaking the rules and not using common sense.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
BTW, BJ tested positive for COVID19 in case you haven't heard.
it's on the BBC about 20 minutes ago.

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But not maintain 2 metres separation at all times, far from it. Urban pavements are commonly 1.3 to 1.5 metres wide and rarely 2 metres or over. They are often bounded by walls etc on one side and heavy traffic or railings on the other, so it's often impossible to pass with any separation. A pavement needs to be 4 metres wide for any two people to pass with 2 metres separation, and they only very rarely exist.

Walking in the estate area anywhere near my flats has proved very risky, so I'm not doing it for the police or any other little dictators, I drive to somewhere safer for everyone before walking in isolation.

• Dislike

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
You really aren't thinking are you? All any of us can do is minimise our own risk, and that is what I'm doing.

I've tried twice to get out for necessary exercise by walking in my urban home area, and both times its proved impossible to maintain 2 metres separation at all times, despite every effort.

So I get my car out and drive with the air con switched to recirculate until I cross the nearby countryside boundary. I head for one of the lonely spots I know where I can park the car and go for a walk in total isolation, knowing that in the unlikely event someone else does appear, I can easily leave well over 2 metres separation to pass.

That is totally safe for everyone, which walking in my urban home area certainly is not.

Putting it bluntly, it's your advice which is dangerous to others. What you and all the other little dictators are doing is ignoring the government advice which states very clearly:

" At all times try to maintain 2 metres separation."

Note the word "try", and that is what I'm doing very effectively, obeying that guidance.
You really aren't thinking, or caring about anyone else.
Go out for a drive, have an accident, take up a hospital bed, that's fine as long as you get to do what you want.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suspected as much when he wasn't at the meeting yesterday.
that risk comes unfortunately with the job.
I feel sorry for his girlfriend and unborn baby, also for his close entourage.

He should have got himself tested several times a week.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A pavement needs to be 4 metres wide for any two people to pass with 2 metres separation, and they only very rarely exist.
A pavement needs to be around 2.5 metres wide for any two people to pass with 2 metres separation.
But they only exist very rarely as well.

Around here (small town) it is pretty safe to walk in the road; they are very empty and drivers are mostly going much slower than usual.

Guidelines clearly seem to rule out driving to a walk; but I absolutely agree that for many the guidelines are silly. Sadly it is impossible to publish guidelines that will be sensible in all cases.

D

Deleted member 25121

Go out for a drive, have an accident, take up a hospital bed, that's fine as long as you get to do what you want.
Yes, some people are behaving so selfishly concerning the virus. I've neighbours who had friends round for a barbecue on Monday evening and they're out in their cars 4 or 5 times a day.

Ridiculous. Selfish.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is precisely because I am thinking about everyone else that I'm doing what I do to keep them and myself safe.

Boris Johnson has now tested positive for the coronavirus, hardly suprising.

He goes out for his daily exercise run on our crowded and very risky urban streets. He should have taken a short drive each day to one of the very large parks and run there where he can maintain over 2 metres separation.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
The police don't consider that to be essential travel:

You have, conveniently, quoted going to "beaches & parks", not what I said at all.
People living in flats can go for a local walk, but IMO in some areas that would present a very much greater CV transmission risk, to them and others, compared to getting into their car and parking up in a field gate, to enable a rural walk far away from any dwellings. Hopefully, a police officer ought to also realise that, it there being "essential to travel" away from the higher risk location?

Fortunately, we have not had, nor would need to leave our "curtilage" to have exercise, nor bump into anyone else.

• Disagree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes, some people are behaving so selfishly concerning the virus. I've neighbours who had friends round for a barbecue on Monday evening and they're out in their cars 4 or 5 times a day.

Ridiculous. Selfish.
Yes. But very different from a single short drive a day to get safer exercise, which probably decreases overall risk (individual CV risk + CV spread risk + accident risk) for both the individual concerned and for the greater population.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He goes out for his daily exercise run on our crowded and very risky urban streets. He should have taken a short drive each day to one of the very large parks and run there where he can maintain over 2 metres separation.
he would still be stuck with his security people in the same car.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Ridiculous. Selfish.
I fully agree, but don't tar with the same brush the very sensible and responsible among us.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Artstu and ebiker99

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
It is precisely because I am thinking about everyone else that I'm doing what I do to keep them and myself safe.

Boris Johnson has now tested positive for the coronavirus, hardly suprising.

It's not just about catching/spreading the virus, what about the risk of road accidents, over burdening the emergency services and NHS?
People need to stay off the roads unless it's absolutely vital.

• Agree