Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A pavement needs to be around 2.5 metres wide for any two people to pass with 2 metres separation.
??? They'd both have to be less than 10 inches wide!

In our obesity ridden modern world they are often approaching a metre wide each!

• :D
Reactions: Artstu

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
It's not just about catching/spreading the virus, what about the risk of road accidents, over burdening the emergency services and NHS?
People need to stay off the roads unless it's absolutely vital.
Don't the statistics actually point to "most accidents happening at home"?

DIY and gardening being I recall high up there, no embargo on these yet and I suspect quite a few are into these activities whilst at home right now.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018

DIY and gardening being I recall high up there, no embargo on these yet and I suspect quite a few are into these activities whilst at home right now.
You can't reasonably expect people to sit in a chair and not move 24/7, but you can reasonably expect them not to drive unless it's vital.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

the only time I needed the A&E department was when I cut my hedge with large secateurs perching on a tall ladder.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what about the risk of road accidents, over burdening the emergency services and NHS?
That risk is far, far lower than that for catching the virus in our crowded urban conditions.

Traffic is well down on the norm anyway, so the accident risk is much lower too. My over half a century of driving with no accidents and full NCB is a pretty good insurance against that too

There are no guarantees but we should balance the risks to achieve the best possible outcome. The intention of all my actions is to avoid the infection and avoid picking up and passing anything, therefore not infecting anyone else at all.

D

Deleted member 25121

These measures will reduce our day to day contact with other people. They are a vital part of our efforts to reduce the rate of transmission of coronavirus.

Every citizen is instructed to comply with these new measures.

The government is therefore ensuring the police and other relevant authorities have the powers to enforce them where people do not comply.

If you leave your home or gather in public for any reason other than those specified, the police may:
  • instruct you to go home, leave an area or disperse
  • instruct you to take steps to stop your children breaking these rules if they have already done so
  • take you home – or arrest you – if you do not follow their instructions or where they deem it necessary
The police will act with discretion and common sense in applying these measures and we expect the public to act responsibly, staying at home in order to save lives.

However, if the police believe that you have broken these rules – or if you refuse to follow their instructions – a police officer may issue you with a fixed penalty notice for £60 (reduced to £30 if paid within 14 days). If you have already received a fixed penalty notice, the amount will increase to £120 and double on each further repeat offence.

----

Derbyshire police consider that walking in the countryside is OK but driving there is not OK.

The selfish are choosing to ignore this when it suits them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can't reasonably expect people to sit in a chair and not move 24/7, but you can reasonably expect them not to drive unless it's vital.
The exercise is vital, so what do I do as I'm in a flat with no garden?

Having exhausted all the activities possible in my home and with no safe local walks I drive a short distance to where I can safely exercise at no risk to myself or others.

D

Deleted member 25121

Is there a time limit on how long we can be outside for once-a-day exercise, and are we allowed to get in our car to travel to go for a walk? - Sam Fearn, York
The current government guidance is to take "one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk or cycle - alone or with members of your household".

No mention is given to the length of exercise, although Cabinet Minister Michael Gove said on Tuesday that "people can go for the standard length of run or walk that they ordinarily would have done. But… the important thing is, once a day".

You should be extremely careful that you will be able to maintain a social distance of more than 2m (6ft) from other people wherever you go.

Following scenes where tourist attractions such as Snowdonia and the Peak District attracted larger than usual crowds, and with them, the risk of spreading the virus, police have told car owners not to drive further afield to go for a walk. The RAC has also advised drivers only to make essential journeys.

• Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and Amoto65

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Derbyshire police consider that walking in the countryside is OK but driving there is not OK.
But the government say cycling is ok and cyclists have very large numbers of road accidents needing hospitalisation. In fact being so vulnerable, they are far more likely to need hospitalisation than car occupants in an accident.

This alone shows how irrational the rules are if rigidly interpreted.

D

Deleted member 25121

Can I use my car to drive to a park for exercise?
You shouldn't use your car in this way. In line with Government advice, you should only leave your home for exercise. But we suggest using your garden for this (if you have one) or leaving your home on foot or by bike. As always, you should stay more than two metres away from others.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In line with Government advice, you should only leave your home for exercise. But we suggest using your garden for this (if you have one) or leaving your home on foot or by bike.
How silly of the RAC.

Don't drive away safely enclosed in a car but do cycle or walk away physically exposed to others doing the same!

In fact as I type this there's a women on the radio speaking of groups of cyclists gathering close together, including at a drinks machine.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But we suggest using your garden for this (if you have one) or leaving your home on foot or by bike.
didn't you oppose leaving your home by bike?

D

Deleted member 25121

Yes officer, I know I was doing 95mph but it's OK because there were no other cars on the motorway, I'm a very good driver, I haven't had an accident in the 50 years I've been driving and I'm on my way to get some exercise, which the government had told me to.

I think we all know of people like this don't we....

D

Deleted member 25121

didn't you oppose leaving your home by bike?
No. I have made the point that people need to be careful where they cycle at the moment, I cycle along the lanes locally for example where there are very few people around and I can keep a good distance from the ones that are.

Do you think that's sensible?

• Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and Amoto65

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes officer, I know I was doing 95mph but it's OK because there were no other cars on the motorway, I'm a very good driver, I haven't had an accident in the 50 years I've been driving and I'm on my way to get some exercise, which the government had told me to.

I think we all know of people like this don't we....
Don't be so offensive. Who has mentioned 95 mph, who has mentioned motorways? My trips involve the minimum possible driving distance to a suitable spot to be isolated when walking.

And because my usual supermarket is right on the boundary of town and country, I've combined the two twice, buying the shopping, then going for a walk on the path set back from the countryside B269 before returning to the car park to drive home.

Below you'll see two Google Earth photos. The first shows that Sainsburys and the tree lined B269 leading E.S.E. The second shows the rather dilapidated set back footpath I walk on that leads miles into the country.

Do you think that practice unwise?

Sainsburys, Warlingham.jpg

Footpath.jpg

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No. I have made the point that people need to be careful where they cycle at the moment, I cycle along the lanes locally for example where there are very few people around and I can keep a good distance from the ones that are.

Do you think that's sensible?
I am not government or police, I leave it to your own judgement.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Amoto65