Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
what lie?
Go back to the beginning of the thread and read it over again.
Your gratuitous aggressive criticism to the OP and those who want to continue using their ebikes is what caused me to reply.

D

Deleted member 25121

what lie?
Go back to the beginning of the thread and read it over again.
Your gratuitous aggressive criticism to the OP and those who want to continue using their ebikes is what caused me to reply.
The lie in your post 352:
"didn't you oppose leaving your home by bike? "

I've look through the first 3 pages of this thread and can't find any where "Your gratuitous aggressive criticism to the OP and those who want to continue using their ebikes is what caused me to reply.".

Perhaps you could tell us which posts you're referring to.

I did note your offensive response to me ending in "It does not require many brain cells to keep yourself at a safe distance.". Post #25 for your reference.

• Disagree
Reactions: Amoto65

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I did note your offensive response to me ending in "It does not require many brain cells to keep yourself at a safe distance.". Post #25 for your reference.
You forgot to re-read your own post #24 which I felt sufficiently unjustified to join the thread.
Post #25 was of course my reply to your own post #24.

QUOTE:
-----------------------------------------------

But we should be reasonably expected to have no part in this nonsense:

We are an extremely selfish country, witness the grab for food at the supermarkets, that didn't happen in Italy for example. Some of the ridiculous things I've heard are:

"I dashed to the shops today to get some packs of loo rolls before all the idiots got them"

"I went for a walk in the park / beach / mountains today and it was full of idiots going for a walk."

-----------------------------

Of course I believe we should be able to trust one another that each person has taken sufficient precaution.

Reactions: Amoto65 and flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

You forgot to re-read your own post #24 which I felt sufficiently unjustified to join the thread.
Post #25 was of course my reply to your own post #24.

QUOTE:

We are an extremely selfish country, witness the grab for food at the supermarkets, that didn't happen in Italy for example. Some of the ridiculous things I've heard are:

"I dashed to the shops today to get some packs of loo rolls before all the idiots got them"

"I went for a walk in the park / beach / mountains today and it was full of idiots going for a walk."
I don't understand, what part of my post #24 did you object to, the link, my comment about the UK becoming a selfish country compared to Italy or my jokes which came from cartoons in The Times?

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

If people come out with comments such as "It does not require many brain cells to keep yourself at a safe distance." then they should be prepared for a similar response.

They shouldn't give if they can't take.

• Disagree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
sorry, I have to correct spelling mistakes in #363.
I have now underlined the point for you.

'nonsense' in this context applies to those - including and not exclusive to - who take their bikes out.

www.bbc.co.uk

People 'selfish' for ignoring coronavirus advice
The government is prepared to take more action to stop the virus spreading, says the health secretary.
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Stop squabbling. Shake hands (perhaps not quite the right advice just now?) and make up.

Reactions: Muddyfox

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Speaking of facts, one the one hand we have ITV news saying people are being fined for taking unnecessary car journeys, on the other hand we have the BBC website saying you can drive to a different location for exercise,
How the hell are people supposed to know what they can and can't do?

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Though I'd throw this in here as discussion about the virus is everywhere now. A friend of mine was talking to a Surgeon from Southampton General recently who told them they had been treating patients with this virus since back in January !
You have to assume the medics there had no idea it was a Novel infection so presumably treated it as seasonal flu.
You do have to wonder if this is in fact the case, how come this information could not have been shared sooner in the medical and scientific world and got to grips with sooner ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Speaking of facts, one the one hand we have ITV news saying people are being fined for taking unnecessary car journeys, on the other hand we have the BBC website saying you can drive to a different location for exercise,
How the hell are people supposed to know what they can and can't do?
I agree it's very confusing. But the latest from government is an admission that driving into the countryside to be alone or with family lived with is not harmful, so long as isolation is maintained.

Similarly on the same news there was a chief police officer also backpedalling on this, now saying similar about driving into the country.

Clearly those of us saying the attitude of some police forces has been too rigid have been correct.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So the advice has changed to fit more closely with what many (especially flecc) have thought sensible. Good.

However, one can't blame the police too much. Their job is to police the advice; or at least the law behind the advice, with only a limited degree of flexibility allowed them. I don't see that changing the way police behave in response to a change in the law/advice is police backpedalling.

In a way it isn't even backpedalling on the part of the people/government that make the advice/law. Just sensible tweaking of advice/law that has of the essence had to be codified extremely quickly.

(Backpedalling is saying one day that you can't get ventilators offered as part of an EU initiative because you aren't part of the EU; and then a few days later saying you didn't even know the EU had made the offer.)

Reactions: ebiker99

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So the advice has changed to fit more closely with what many (especially flecc) have thought sensible. Good.

However, one can't blame the police too much. Their job is to police the advice; or at least the law behind the advice, with only a limited degree of flexibility allowed them. I don't see that changing the way police behave in response to a change in the law/advice is police backpedalling.

In a way it isn't even backpedalling on the part of the people/government that make the advice/law. Just sensible tweaking of advice/law that has of the essence had to be codified extremely quickly.

(Backpedalling is saying one day that you can't get ventilators offered as part of an EU initiative because you aren't part of the EU; and then a few days later saying you didn't even know the EU had made the offer.)
My use of backpedalling referred to the way the police, even government members, and others, were ignoring the governments use of the word Try.

Government isn't totally stupid, though they give a very good imitation at times. They knew that 2 metres separation is impossible in a wide variety of circumstances, whether on average pavements, supermarket aisles, stairways or all other locations.

That's why they said try to maintain the 2 metres, try to avoid contact. That left open the option to drive into the countryside to achieve best isolation, so they and others should never have said the opposite as they did for a while. As Fishy's post said, it only created confusion.

As the time honoured saying goes, rules are for the guidance of the wise and obedience of the foolish.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

on the other hand we have the BBC website saying you can drive to a different location for exercise
I haven't seen that on the BBC News website, in fact the latest I see it this:

Saying:
Coronavirus: Stay local to exercise, says government
The government has said people should "stay local" and not travel unnecessarily for exercise.
New advice clarifies that people must use "open spaces" near to home, where possible.
It follows confusion over whether people could drive places to go walking, running, or cycling.

It's good to see that the government has clarified this for us all.

• :D
  • Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and Amoto65
D

Deleted member 25121

sorry, I have to correct spelling mistakes in #363.
I have now underlined the point for you.

'nonsense' in this context applies to those - including and not exclusive to - who take their bikes out.

www.bbc.co.uk

People 'selfish' for ignoring coronavirus advice
The government is prepared to take more action to stop the virus spreading, says the health secretary.
www.bbc.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk
No, my comment was clearly talking about the link I provided which was to this:
containing this photo and it's quite right that we should have no part of this nonsense, don't you agree? :

The photo you've put up shows people behaving responsibly queuing up outside a supermarket, why did you try and mislead us?

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

Though I'd throw this in here as discussion about the virus is everywhere now. A friend of mine was talking to a Surgeon from Southampton General recently who told them they had been treating patients with this virus since back in January !
You have to assume the medics there had no idea it was a Novel infection so presumably treated it as seasonal flu.
You do have to wonder if this is in fact the case, how come this information could not have been shared sooner in the medical and scientific world and got to grips with sooner ?
Didn't the same thing reportedly happen in China?

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

I am not interested in 'give'.
I am in the thread for a factual debate.
Good to hear it. Then stick to the facts and please avoid using insults such as "It does not require many brain cells to keep yourself at a safe distance."
Jees

• Disagree

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I haven't seen that on the BBC News website, in fact the latest I see it this:

Saying:
Coronavirus: Stay local to exercise, says government
The government has said people should "stay local" and not travel unnecessarily for exercise.
New advice clarifies that people must use "open spaces" near to home, where possible.
It follows confusion over whether people could drive places to go walking, running, or cycling.

It's good to see that the government has clarified this for us all.
BBC News - Coronavirus: What are social distancing and self-isolation?