Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

D

Deleted member 25121

and I thought scientists could never believe that they are always right.
as Smifee said, you could start a fight in a phone box.
That's sooooo wrong in every respect

1. I don't claim to be a scientist, I'm an engineer.
2. I don't believe I'm always right, I'm often wrong.
3. I don't want a fight, I'm just saying that I don't believe in fairytales. I'm an atheist but I stand up for the right of anybody to hold whatever belief they choose provided they don't harm others in doing so. Why do you object to that?

So, nice try but 1/10 for effort.

Why do you keep arguing?

• Disagree
Reactions: esuark and Amoto65
D

Deleted member 25121

I did go out for a last (3 hour) ride into the peaks (all off-road from my house) last weekend on my ebike.
This week I have been out on my old (non-electric) mountain bike most days but am going out early in the morning and avoiding the more obvious walker and dog-walker routes.
The longest was a 90 minute ride yesterday morning (from about 7.30am) into the Tame Valley and back and I'd say more than half the people I came across (and there weren't many) were over 70.

I avoid any shops unless I am the only customer in them (so I use a small corner shop and a local bakery mostly - popping in on my way back from my cycle).

I do have a big garden and a cross-trainer in the garage if needed so I supose I can just turtle up if the lockdown gets stricter.

One point on the 2m though - that is for people who are stationary - if you are doing 15mph and zoom through droplets left by someone who has sneezed/coughed etc. ahead of you there is no magic is them being more than 2m metres away at the time of the sneeze or cough...
Well done Sir, that's very responsible of you.

I'm in a very similar position and we use a our village store which has a great selection and few customers, much better than queueing up to go into supermarkets with their empty shelves. We've used the store for a long time to buy the odd this and that, mostly to help keep them in business, but will now use them more in the long term.
They even do deliveries, what fantastic service.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It says to parks and beauty spots, entirely understandable and I support that since those locations encourage crowds.

But this land had vast areas of other countryside and the government instruction on the Radio a few minutes ago once again said exercise in your local area wherever possible.

In no way does it say never elsewhere, nor has it ever done so, despite some lesser police forces as usual going totally OTT.

I will continue to do what is best for others and myself to avoid infection, and that rules out my immediate home area.

D

Deleted member 25121

Fortunately 99.24% of us do not live in Wiltshire.

Even less of us have the misfortune to live in ebiker99's village where he's probably the local busybody always telling others what to do.
Somerset.

I'm providing a public information service.

• :D
  • Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and Amoto65

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
It just seems so illogical that breaking being housebound and taking walks or cycling exercise in a conurbation is deemed fine, but to drive a 4 or 5 miles into the rural sticks, well away from "honeypot" venues as Parks & beaches, is considered so wrong that it is policed.

If going out in a very lowly populated place is wrong, surely going out in a populated one, in this avoiding meeting people time is much more stupid?

Like most things, having an element of logic makes them more understandable, well, I suggest it is to those whose natural process is to think about what they do or don't do.

Presently, we need to do neither, remaining on our own property.

D

Deleted member 25121

It just seems so illogical that breaking being housebound and taking walks or cycling exercise in a conurbation is deemed fine, but to drive a 4 or 5 miles into the rural sticks, well away from "honeypot" venues as Parks & beaches, is considered so wrong that it is policed.

If going out in a very lowly populated place is wrong, surely going out in a populated one, in this avoiding meeting people time is much more stupid?

Like most things, having an element of logic makes them more understandable, well, I suggest it is to those whose natural process is to think about what they do or don't do.

From what I can make out the authorities want to prevent people from making unnecessary journeys and driving for a walk in the countryside is considered unnecessary when you can go for a walk from your home. Social distancing is important wherever you go.

Stay safe, stay at home, save lives.

• Disagree
Reactions: Amoto65 and POLLY

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

I have a wide and four young kids on an estate. Trying to have a jog or run while they bike or scoot is insane. There is no space for people to do this safely given the density of people

Yet my car is 3m from my front door and I can csn ship my family to a deserted beach or river or south downs within 2 or 3 miles for their daily exercise

I shall practice sanity. Not jogging past all the old dears doing their front gardens with four kids in tow on various bikes and scooters

Reactions: flecc and Woosh
D

Deleted member 25121

I have a wide and four young kids on an estate. Trying to have a jog or run while they bike or scoot is insane. There is no space for people to do this safely given the density of people

Yet my car is 3m from my front door and I can csn ship my family to a deserted beach or river or south downs within 2 or 3 miles for their daily exercise

I shall practice sanity. Not jogging past all the old dears doing their front gardens with four kids in tow on various bikes and scooters
Hey, I don't make up these rules, don't shoot the piano player. Do you have a garden?

• Disagree
D

Deleted member 25121

An information service for the public in the county of Somerset..... superb?

Btw where are you getting your information from in the first place?
I sincerely hope its not from those `experts`( i use that world extremely loosely) in government??
BBC News website. I think you do your own thing in N. Ireland.

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm providing a public information service.
No you aren't. The government is providing that through all the media channels to an educated population who have access to all that.

You are just an offensive interfering busybody who thinks he knows better than anyone else, better than the government even, better even than poster's own home circumstances as your disagrees on some of their posts show.

• Agree
Reactions: Artstu and Amoto65

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
"--driving for a walk in the countryside is considered unnecessary when you can go for a walk from your home. "

The contradiction, is that in many locations in densely populated areas, is that it is "necessary" to help saves lives, if recreation needs to be taken.

The point I made, is the stance is not logically considered, just a doctrine.

D

Deleted member 25121

I'm just posting links from the BBC News website. The views expressed there are those of our medical experts and our elected government.

If people don't like see them then please block me. Amoto65 has been disagreeing with every single post I've made in the last few days, even the technical ones, so maybe she would like to take note but I expect she'll just disagree with this post without reading it. Let's see 10, 9, 8.... If you want a good laugh have a look at her recent activity by clicking on her name, it's hilarious. Please don't stop Amoto65, I think you're hilarious and obviously very bored. Maybe go and have a walk?

PS see, you can rely on Amoto65 :D :D :D :D. She was a bit slow though, 10 minutes or so. I wonder what she's been up to????

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Disagree
Reactions: Amoto65 and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From what I can make out the authorities want to prevent people from making unnecessary journeys and driving for a walk in the countryside is considered unnecessary when you can go for a walk from your home. Social distancing is important wherever you go.
When is it going to sink in?

As I've posted, I cannot comply with both since going out walking from my city home means I often cannot ensure two metres separation. This is true for many in city areas.

The distancing is quite rightly the top government and personal priority for everyone and it takes precedence over driving a moderate distance to the nearest suitable places.

Your attempts to advise others are sometimes silly. As when you posted that if there isn't somewhere suitable to cycle by someone's home, they should cycle somewhere else.

Post 137:

"if cyclists find themselves often getting too close to other people (<2m) then they should find safer places to cycle"

So how so they get there, magic carpet?

Last edited:
Reactions: Artstu