Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Without being too miserable, here in Spain it is forbidden to go out for a walk or ride and that’s been so for 8 days now. I’m hugely frustrated as my conversion kit arrived and is now fitted and ready to go...thinking maybe I’ll use it to go collect groceries.
Don't I know it! Wife and I just got out of Malaga Airport on one of the few non cancelled flights on Sunday. But at least in Spain they are really serious about keeping distance, providing hand gel and disposable gloves at the entrance to supermarkets which don't, by the way, seem to have run out of anything. Unlike on our return shopping in Perth Lidl where everyone milled about, handling things and putting them back on shelves. No blue gloves, customers or staff! If Perth goes Cov9 ballistic I will know why! That was before yesterdays tightening of the screws though.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and ebiker99

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
i just got a txt msg from the government who the hell gave them my number pmsl.

by by sim card ;)
probably from the network companies.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Check the permissions on your phone, android os, network op, browser, and other apps. They all have it and are legally required to hand it over in an emergency.
Like if u were lying injured in a ditch, just able to dial for help, or,
when Bobo has a brain fart! :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my friends dad that is in there 70s had cv and had it about 3 weeks ago as got it in hospital after a op to remove both of his legs above the knee.

he no longer has the cv or his legs but is not dead even after all of that.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
my friends dad that is in there 70s had cv and had it about 3 weeks ago as got it in hospital after a op to remove both of his legs above the knee.

he no longer has the cv or his legs but is not dead even after all of that.
Could someone please translate this into English, Cheers.

• Disagree
Reactions: ebiker99

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Could someone please translate this into English, Cheers.
he did not die and had his legs chopped off and tested positive in hospital for cv, he is not dead.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
SW's friend's dad should not have endured corona virus. He went to the hospital for his scheduled operation and caught the virus in hospital.
Such situation will become the norm. Patients who need hospital treatments are now threatened with catching CORVID19 - same as other medical staff, except their body is already weakened by their underlying conditions.

CORVID19 will kill many more people in similar situation and not much the doctors can do to prevent it.
Think of being treated in a hospital with MRSA infection for a comparison.
Young people need to realise that they are at grave risk, not as much as those with hospital appointments but at risk nevertheless. They must stop meeting. They must stop taking risk, they don't want to go to A&E. What they are going to do to keep themselves busy, I don't know.

We have already started working remotely since this morning but as time goes by, it will become more dangerous to pop into the office even for a couple of hours because of the risk of community transmission. I wish we could all have been tested to see where we are.

It's a new world. I'm already out of things to do working from home. We don't go out anymore and I am fed up with watching TV.

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Reactions: ebiker99
D

Deleted member 25121

Young people need to realise that they are at grave risk, not as much as those with hospital appointments but at risk nevertheless. They must stop meeting. They must stop taking risk, they don't want to go to A&E. What they are going to do to keep themselves busy, I don't know.
Not just the young, it applies to people of all ages.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not just the young, it applies to people of all ages.
the young people are most likely to be the conduit for spreading the virus because many of them don't react to the virus.
The virus penetrates their age group much more widely.
It's a bit like an allergy. When you are young, your immune system does not pick it up, the virus can multiply and be shed everyday without you noticing it.
One day, the virus will mutate and your immune system will wake up and react violently. You will be very sick. Old people don't generally react as violently.
The ethical issue will soon need to be debated. Hospital staff will have to decide who to give the bed to. We are having the April wave. Then when the situation improves in June, the lockdown may be rescinded but the virus will come back in November when the temperature goes below 10 C.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Bobajob and flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

the young people are most likely to be the conduit for spreading the virus because many of them don't react to the virus.
The virus penetrates their age group much more widely.
It's a bit like an allergy. When you are young, your immune system does not pick it up, the virus can multiply and be shed everyday without you noticing it.
One day, the virus will mutate and your immune system will wake up and react violently. You will be very sick. Old people don't generally react as violently.
The ethical issue will soon need to be debated. Hospital staff will have to decide who to give the bed to. We are having the April wave. Then when the situation improves in June, the lockdown may be rescinded but the virus will come back in November when the temperature goes below 10 C.
My point was that people of all ages need to be taking great care, not just the young.

And this idea of the virus recinding significantly with temperatures over >10C is questionable, look at what's happening in Australia and look at the countries mostly effected right now in Europe, they are Italy and Spain which are amongst the warmest of our countries.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Wicky and Amoto65

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is latency and inertia in the wave: infection leading to test then to confirmation then hospitalisation and finally death count.
Take Germany and Switzerland for example. They do 5 times more tests than we do and have far fewer deaths because they isolate many more young spreaders.
You can blame Johnson for being ignorant of scientific advice and Cummings for stupidly believing in 'herd immunity' without understanding the biology if you like.
Old people know very well that they risk not surviving the hospital stay so they are naturally much more cautious.
I would have liked that universities and schools be closed since Chinese New Year and young people systematically tested and isolated until they have sufficient level of antibody. Those who pass the antibody test will then be allowed to rejoin normal life.
By the way, next to my shop is the university residence. It's usually full of Chinese students. They all went home barring a very few. That says something about where we find ourselves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 25121

It's my impression that those taking the unnecessary risks are in the 50+ age grouping, that certainly seems to be the case on here. Coincidently ( or is it?) the same age grouping that chose to ignore the advice of experts and voted for Brexit.

They believe they are clever enough to ignore the advice of experts, with the support of Bozo, Gove, Farage, Banks & Co.

I think you'll find that the younger people are the more seriously they are taking the threat and are acting accordingly.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you shouldn't trust that impression because it is not born out by statistics. Old people die of this virus but it's spreading through the young: they have to go to work, share public transport, live in small flats and all that kissing, clubbing, eating out and partying cause much more spreading than the old codgers going out on their bikes.

D

Deleted member 25121

OMG, the young have no choice but to go to work, they have to use public transport, they have to live in small flats and if they've a partner they may well live with and kiss them, clubs are closed, they can't eat out because restaurants are closed and partying is forbidden.

Apart from that, what is your point?