Putting e-bike to bed for the duration of C-virus.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder how many realize droplets carrying the virus stick to you hair and clothes.
it's the amount that matters.
I wash my hair every day now.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

well mass fraud here we go o_O

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ask the Czechs or the Spanish and that will be a NO!

This comes after Spanish health authorities have warned that the rapid coronavirus tests that the country purchased from China are faulty. They are not consistently detecting positive cases, thereby showing an accuracy level below 30 per cent, making them unusable.
In view of the incredibly high error rate of the kits, Spain-- one of the worst-hit by Covid-19, with deaths surpassing over 4,800-- has announced that it is sending back the first batch of Covid-19 testing kits that it received from China.

and the unfortunate Czechs ->

A massive amount of PPE are coming into Ireland today, lets hope they haven`t been purchased via AliExpress
Regarding that PPE, a fraction is earmarked for NI!.. this was the first flight by Aer Lingus to China , and it carried 20 million euros worth, there are 9 more flights scheduled

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
But don't you get all that love and satisfaction by just looking at that lovely duck? Money would just sully the deal man.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good to learn that former Supreme Court judge Jeremy Sumption has duplicated my criticism of the Derbyshire Police actions. He says they are disgraceful, calling them glorified school prefects.

He agrees that their criticism of people going into the countryside just to be alone or for isolated exercise was uncalled for and an overrreaction. Not for the first time he is warning against the creeping development of a police state, a fear increasingly shared by many.

He blames not the police themselves but the public who willingly co-operate in allowing it to happen.

ebiker99 springs to mind as being very guilty of this sheep like behaviour.

Last edited:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Regarding that PPE, a fraction is earmarked for NI!.. this was the first flight by Aer Lingus to China , and it carried 20 million euros worth, there are 9 more flights scheduled
Yes i know some are coming this way, that`s why i`m concerned.
Who done due diligence on this big consignment?
Were samples obtained and assessed for quality?
These things should have been done in the light of other european countries having to reject and return to China vast quantities of their order.

I`m convinced the Irish government are on a wing and a prayer with this

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I suspect that due to the desperate need for this equipment that checks that would be done under normal conditions have been ignored. It would seem our government and others will be held to account at some point in the future, but incorrect decisions are made in times of crisis which can have dire consequences for those directly affected.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now ex Home Secretary David Blunkett has joined with the myself (I got in first!), ex Supreme Court judge Jeremy Sumption and numerous others in the criticism of the Derbyshire Police totally OTT handling of the coronavirus control regulations.

Yet Derbyshire's Chief Constable has defended his forces action by insisting they are getting it right, and even having the nerve to blame other forces for being OTT when the adjoining South Yorkshire force has done a far better job.

He should be sacked.

Reactions: therealvicz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes i know some are coming this way, that`s why i`m concerned.
Were samples obtained and assessed for quality?
These things should have been done in the light of other european countries having to reject and return to China vast quantities of their order.

I`m convinced the Irish government are on a wing and a prayer with this
I think you are referring to the Spanish situation . According to information , they were not on the approved lists by the Chinese Government.

therealvicz

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 26, 2019
Telford
The current guidelines seem less stringent (and sensible?) than I had thought/expected. In particular, even self-isolation has an 'except exercise' clause. Cycling is clearly excellent exercise, and probably a bit better at keeping 2m than walking is.

It is odd how everybody seems to go to the honeypots to exercise though. This may lead to much tougher rules than are necessary that rule out exercise even in more sensible places. (Much easier to say this from a county town than it might be for people living in London and other big cities; but I bet even there lots of the streets are almost empty of cars, bikes and pedestrians and fairly pleasant?)
Yes much easier to do my daily hour on the nearly empty roads than dodging dog walkers and phone zombies milling about on our cycle tracks...

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Yes much easier to do my daily hour on the nearly empty roads than dodging dog walkers and phone zombies milling about on our cycle tracks...
Just like cycling in the 1960s, except that cars are zippier today than those ’classics’ of yesteryear. However, some drivers who see these deserted roads, think speeding is somehow acceptable. There also seems to be a higher percentage of boy racers arounds.

One potential benefit of everyone having to socially distance, drivers are getting to know what 2 metres is by queueing to get in Supermarkets, etc. Until now I think many thought 2 meters meant this......
79805058-1D5C-4EF2-B724-8868CB945586.jpeg
Thus, when it’s all over there is a (faint) hope they will understand what 1.5 metres looks like, and keep this recommended distance when passing cyclists on the road.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
"Thus, when it’s all over there is a (faint) hope they will understand what 1.5 metres looks like, and keep this recommended distance when passing cyclists on the road."

Being both a cyclist and a car driver, respectively, for 73 and 60 years, and for the most part a rural dweller, I realise the now legal 1.5 metres separation is not always viable. Many of our lanes are too narrow and the edge too rough to achieve this, however, it should always be done safely so that involves the speed and the best separation that can be given.
IMO when cycling in these lanes we also need to facilitate safe overtaking opportunities, sadly as a rural driver a failing of a few cyclist we meet, even met those insisting way over a mile to ride two abreast!

Reactions: D C and sjpt

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
IMO when cycling in these lanes we also need to facilitate safe overtaking opportunities, sadly as a rural driver a failing of a few cyclist we meet, even met those insisting way over a mile to ride two abreast!
The roads my wife and I love best to cycle along are the single track C roads, best with a 'ridge' of dirt etc. down the centre. It is no trouble to pull over and let cars pass, and generally results in friendly acknowledgement. We are out to enjoy the air, scenery etc. not some sort of race. What annoys me is when minor B roads are used as rat runs by inconsiderate drivers racing to get home that few minutes earlier. Cycling two abreast on all roads, and especially B and C roads is as bad as the 'rat runners'. Often note the' two abreast-ers' are generally lycra clad.

It's the busier roads where it is essential 'to command your space' in the road to make sure impatient drivers don't try and squeeze by. Why do some drivers think once they've got their 'snout' past you, it doesn't matter about their tail end and proceed to cut in?

Be it drivers or cyclists, there are always 'The good, The bad, and The downright Ugly' in terms of road manners.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
"Thus, when it’s all over there is a (faint) hope they will understand what 1.5 metres looks like, and keep this recommended distance when passing cyclists on the road."
Absolutely. When I commuted with part of it down a narrow lane I saw much more bad cycling manners than bad car behaviour. That said, the majority of both cyclists and drivers behaved well.

Reactions: flecc and oriteroom

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
That's it, instead of hibernating it, build it up into a Cargo bike, complete with Trailer tow bar & cup holder!
Up the Gale's load capacity with folding baskets/panniers, within 25kg limit :) mmm.
Do those square panniers catch ur heels or interfere with the folding?.
Apologies if I'm hijacking the thread ;-)

Reactions: flecc