retro kit from conhis not working

wanabee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2010
hi everyone
got a kit and lifepo4 battery from conhis motors a week ago and no lights +no power so checked the wires and found the battery lead to controller had a crack in the insulation so i took a picture of it and posted to conhis the reply i got was to put some insulation tape round it !

so does anyone know any procedure to find the problem maybe a new controller or any way to get up and running.

thanks everyone

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Ive never heard of this company but they must sort the problem out for you.Their suggestion is ridiculous!Im afraid it may have to be the big stick that is Trading Standards cos unless you damaged the wire it was not fit for purpose

wanabee

Jan 3, 2010
thanks for swift reply

yes you learn by your mistakes
this was on ebay and conhis is in china
ok :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Tell them you are on the board and a senior member of the largest Electric bike association and forum in Europe...... and If they dont sort it out by return you will destroy their reputation:)

failing that, lesson learnt - buy a proper kit

Xcytronex

Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2009
Conhis motors are fairly well known-could you post some pics for the tech experts on the forum.Sounds like it could be a battery problem [blown fuse ?] or maybe a wiring /controller issue. If the insulation casing on the battery lead is split taping it should be o.k.[I'm assuming it contains the wiring to the controller and that these wires are intact.]

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Stunning replies guys waaaay to go! At least Xcytronex & fatts offered something constructive! I bought a Conhis kit for my Peugeot conversion and it was not without its problems, however, it did at least work... I don't know of any fuses but check the battery first to make sure you can read some volts on the output then if that's OK its a case of following and checking the supply to the controller to make sure all the connections are good and that you have volts at the controller....this may mean taking the cover off the controller....

Some pics may be a good idea to see what you are talking about....

wanabee

Jan 3, 2010
thanks

thanks for all advice given

now i have took some pics and i will send them later (mobile playing up )
i have tested the battery volts and 41.2 v and showing 3 green lights
but do not know how to test anything else ?
any advice would be welcome

its great to know i am getting somewhere with your help

got to go to work now thanks ......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That battery seem ok, but we'll wait for the pics so we know which motor it is. Conhis make both a commonly known type which I think is direct drive and a Bafang imitation with internal gears. The wiring is likely to be different for each of those.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks very much like the controller I received with my kit. I'd say the battery lead is no good. Do you have a volt meter that can test continuity? If so you can measure the battery lead + wire to see if it's OK, should be close to zero Ohm resistance if good.... however by the look of it I'd say it will need replacing...

The wiring as supplied with these kits is not up to the current draw of the motor/controller and needs to be replaced with something more substantial. I found the wiring with my kit was rated for 6amps but the controller could draw up to 30amp peak!

Some stuff on my experience with these kits:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/4984-my-first-entry-into-world-e-bikes.html

Last edited:

wanabee

Jan 3, 2010
hello when i plug the battery in which is fully charged (with green lights on )
nothing happens and when i unplug battery and check the green lights are off and red one on
could it be the controller ?

Last edited:

wanabee

Jan 3, 2010
i have rplaced damaged lead with old pc lead that was a quick fix
but when i plug the battery in which is fully charged (with green lights on )
nothing happens and when i unplug battery and check the green lights are off and red one on. so if that points to what the problem is

Last edited:

wanabee

Jan 3, 2010
i have put some pics up and can take more if needed, but found this
when i plug the battery in which is fully charged (with green lights on )
nothing happens and when i unplug battery and check the green lights are off and red one on (it did this with the old lead as well )

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds like a short circuit causing the battery's BMS protection to trip in. If a short circuit it could be in either the controller or the motor.

wanabee

Jan 3, 2010
i have put some pics up and can take more if needed, but found this
when i plug the battery in which is fully charged (with green lights on )
nothing happens and when i unplug battery and check the green lights are off and red one on (it did this with the old lead as well )

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As Flecc said probably a short circuit which could have been caused by the damaged lead :(

The next logical step is to try a new controller I guess, though maybe check all the other leads for continuity first.

Also maybe do it again but make sure the motor is not connected. If the battery trips to red again you know its the motor I guess ?

**EDIT ... If the battery trips to red again you know its the controller I guess ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

wanabee

Jan 3, 2010
hi jerry i just disconected the white five pin connector and tryed with fresh charged battery and the led is red once again

i guess i am clutching at straws but are any other test
is the controller likely to get hot ? (it hasnt but just a thought)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can you disconnect the three main wire (blue,yellow,green) bullet connectors and the five wire connector to completely disconnect the motor and then check again?

If the battery indicator then goes from green to red, its likely to be a controller fault. If the indicator stays green, it's the disconnected motor that's almost certainly the problem.