Smart ebike out of production?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I don't think the boat I have is any business of yours, but its a motor yacht, 40 knots is its top speed although you are burning the fuel at that speed, cruising say to Guernsey is around 30 knots for best economy. I keep it on the South Coast and spend most weekends on it, the only problem you have with boats is when you arrive somewhere you are stuck for transport unless you hire a car, I keep a motorbike on board and will now have the bike and perhaps get another bike, so hoping to get out more and explore further afield from the marinas.[/QUOTE]

Am intrigued,I have cruised the Channel Islands many times on both motor and sail boats,sheltering in the lee of Sark on one particularly windy approach. As an obvious experienced yachtsman which is your favoured approach into St Peter Port,do you favour the western or northern route?
Guernsey is particularly popular island for pedelecs more so than Jersey only because the local dealer is more active.
How do you intend to lift your Smart bike onto your boat,from memory the Smart bike is very heavy and walking it along passerrelle will not be easy.
To achieve 40 knots you must have a planing boat such as a Sunseeker or Fairline,even in the cruise mode they can burn 300 litres per hour,you would have to use your Smart bike a lot to balance with that fossil fuel burn.
If you are concerned about being green why did you not select a displacement boat?
KudosDave

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Dave, don't be silly, he has staff to do all that nonsense.

Any bike you are thinking of getting check the warranty terms and conditions, shipping bikes around is expensive and some carriers will not ship a bike with that size of battery, some will and don't charge more and some send it as hazardous cargo that costs a fortune, so do your research before buying and know it can be shipped, the cost, and full warranty details.
You mentioned this a few weeks ago, and I let it slide... but I should pick you up on it now you've said it twice.

Shipping a battery is hazardous goods, and costs more.

Shipping an eBike (with a battery on it) is not hazardous good and doesn't cost any more - expect for the fact they weight a bit more than a normal bike.

So if you've been told shipping an eBike is hazardous goods, I'm afraid your sources are incorrect, either thought not knowing, or possible in an attempt to make more money out of you.

Reactions: Fordulike

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
You mentioned this a few weeks ago, and I let it slide... but I should pick you up on it now you've said it twice.

Shipping a battery is hazardous goods, and costs more.

Shipping an eBike (with a battery on it) is not hazardous good and doesn't cost any more - expect for the fact they weight a bit more than a normal bike.

So if you've been told shipping an eBike is hazardous goods, I'm afraid your sources are incorrect, either thought not knowing, or possible in an attempt to make more money out of you.
Hi
Can you explain to me why a battery alone is hazardous whereas once it's attached to a bike its not.

Thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi
Can you explain to me why a battery alone is hazardous whereas once it's attached to a bike its not.
Nope... it defies logic.... but its just the way it is.
The only thing that can make sense is that when separate, the battery terminals are somewhat exposed and could be shortly accidentally. When mounted in equipment such as an e-bike, the terminals are concealed and connected to an isolating switch.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Battery shipments remote from the bike....I think it is historical problems....there was a batch of lead acid batteries with metal bars on top on a 747 trunker,the bars caused a major short,caused a fire and blew a hole in the side of the plane....the batteries concentrated in one place are deemed to be more dangerous than when one battery is alone in an e-bike.
I have given up shipping quantities of batteries by air and even sea freight is becoming more logistically difficult.
KudosDave

Reactions: Fordulike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nice looking bike and I think the Yamaha central motor is a better and neater implementation than the latest Bosch unit.

Reactions: Emo Rider

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sorry - not been keeping up with the thread I started! I've been put off buying the smart ebike for some reason... Am about to purchase one of these:

http://www.raleigh.co.uk/Haibike/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=198&pg=12737
I like crank drive bikes, and a short test ride on the Yamaha suggested to me the system is very similar to the Bosch one - in t'other words, very good.

Some people reckon the power delivery of the Bosch is a bit smoother, but I didn't detect that.

The bike in your link will require some accessories to turn it into a commuter - rack, mudguards, lights.

None of that is a problem, but you could probably find a Yamaha bike with those already fitted.

There are certainly lots of Bosch bikes which are commutable 'out of the box'.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I don't think the boat I have is any business of yours, but its a motor yacht, 40 knots is its top speed
Am intrigued,I have cruised the Channel Islands many times on both motor and sail boats,sheltering in the lee of Sark on one particularly windy approach. As an obvious experienced yachtsman which is your favoured approach into St Peter Port,do you favour the western or northern route?
Guernsey is particularly popular island for pedelecs more so than Jersey only because the local dealer is more active.
How do you intend to lift your Smart bike onto your boat,from memory the Smart bike is very heavy and walking it along passerrelle will not be easy.
To achieve 40 knots you must have a planing boat such as a Sunseeker or Fairline
KudosDave
I am intrigued as well Dave. As a keen sailor of some 30 years myself, I have yet to hear of anyone who knows anything about boats refer to a 40 knot vessel as a 'motor yacht'. My, how the chaps at Cowes Week must guffaw into their Pimms when this clown berths up, no doubt being somewhat confused at him saying he has just dropped his main on a planing boat. "Avast ye lubbers! I will hastily tie off the shawshank double half-hitch-slip to the nearest left-screwed pintle-pipe porthole I can find! You wait until you see my pushbike!"

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just realised that our week of peace, is all but up. :(

Off for a ride on my new to me, designer KTM e-Race P 27.5. May the peace continue.
There was me thinking it might be safe to clear my (very short) ignore list.

Best to hang fire on that for a bit.

Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i thought he got ran over buy a bus watching his ipad lol