Sorry Guys,this new format is not working for Kudos

D

Deleted member 4366

Personally, I don't care what forum categories we have. Lumping them all together is fine by me, but don't forget that it used to be like that, until certain people that I won't name and embarrass, wanted to separate out: anything that was technical; anything that involved anything that was deemed (by them) to be illegal; then DIY stuff; and I suppose i could add spamming.

All I can say is that you can't have your cake and eat it, and if you exclude anything other than the breaking of normal forum rules, it will drive members and other readers away away.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Well at least it woke everyone up from their hibernation!!! 77 replies and 1672 views in 2 days makes it pretty much the most active thread for some time. The forum isn't that big to be swamped if we all posted in one section,its up to us traders to be sensible and only post when we have something useful and relevant to contribute,you guys are free to shoot us down if we overstep the post.
I have done much less postings of late,quite frankly,I think the 'less is more' concept is valuable. I do have some new stuff coming up,2 of the new bikes are as a direct result of feedback from this forum so they should be of interest and I think some 'fun' element should be incorporated within the postings.
KudosDave
you did the right thing to energize the forum and thank you for that.
The little number of posts regarding your new bikes was not due to the new format, but because 2 are bigger sizes of last year new models (those were breaking new ground in Chinese vs German hand to hand combat), the one for the short ladies will no doubt get a lot of attention when the pictures are released and the Vita One is not exactly new or exciting.

anniegirl

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2013
Lancashire
Due to ill health I have not been on the forum for a number of months. Logged on last night and it took me only a short while to find my way around the new layout of the site. Think it's great there are different forums for technical, classifieds etc., and not sure what all the fuss is about. I tend to eventually read (at the moment I have a lot of catching up to do) through all the postings, and have since joining found some very interesting topics. We all get as little or as much info etc., as we want from a forum, and you will find that on most forums some members are more involved than others. If everyone stops posting and leaves the forum then it would soon be a sinking ship and would eventually cease to exist. Hope this does not happen.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Glad you are back anniegirl, hope you are better and ready to rumble. ;)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
[q uote="flecc, post: 205197, member: 3"]I'm another who switched to the New Posts option some while ago to avoid missing anything and also so I didn't have to search all the other forums individually.

Personally I've always preferred almost everything lumped together in one forum in a moderate posting rate forum. Breaking into many forums is mainly useful in the busiest sites where threads can disappear off the front page in minutes.[/quote]

Seconded :)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Well at least it woke everyone up from their hibernation!!! 77 replies and 1672 views in 2 days makes it pretty much the most active thread for some time. The forum isn't that big to be swamped if we all posted in one section,its up to us traders to be sensible and only post when we have something useful and relevant to contribute,you guys are free to shoot us down if we overstep the post.
I have done much less postings of late,quite frankly,I think the 'less is more' concept is valuable. I do have some new stuff coming up,2 of the new bikes are as a direct result of feedback from this forum so they should be of interest and I think some 'fun' element should be incorporated within the postings.
KudosDave
I like it when people in the business contribute - because they're the ones with the product - or can let you know how to get hold of the product. So my my point of view I am VERY interested in what they have to say about stuff. If they agree or not. Who's seeing some interesting product coming their way or who through great customer service is holding on to loyal customers. Its all interesting and without it this place would just be a load of geeks talking technology. I vote all in and lets see where the cards fall. Anybody who gets too out of order - well sooner or later they will be told. You dont need to make a rule about it.

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
I won't be losing sleep over a trader commenting that they are losing marketing opportunities to promote new products or whatever by not having their commercial announcements broadcast permanently in the popular, Electric Bicycles forum.

By browsing this forum, I already have to tolerate a quarter of my 32" horizontal screen being taken up by an Electric Bike Retailers vertical ad banner winking and blinking at me with a myriad of companies broadcasting to sell me something or other.

On a 2nd vertical monitor, (right of my main 32" screen), the Electric Bike Retailers ad actually consumes nearly a third of the real estate of my screen down one side.

But hey, that reality is just a microcosm of the big, bad commercial world we all have to tolerate these days whenever we browse online anywhere. (Not just here at Pedelecs).

I appreciate any site's need or desire to monetize their own, particular unique web based resource.

It galls me though, to witness a benefactor of Pedelecs.co.uk, choosing to bite the hand that feeds them by negatively reacting to an initiative by the site owners to make the site more appealing to existing or new potential Pedelec members.

---

The O.P appears to be envious of the viewing figures achieved by the Pedelec common room style Electric Bicycles forum.

Well, that's just tough, isn't it?

If I want or need to investigate any commercially related issue, I see there is a Pedelec forum specifically for such things. It is called ... Manufacturer/Dealer News and Offers

"This sub-forum is intended for dealers to announce their news/promotions and any current discounted offers. This is to ensure that the general 'electric bicycles' category remains free of sales-based threads."

It appears there is also a Dealer Directory forum as well ... and I bet traders also have a field day in the Which electric bike should I buy? forum.

Hang on. Let me check ... (Pause)

Goodness ... Why am I not surprised?

It is quite apparent and obvious that opinion of certain sections of the Pedelec merchant community is far from objective.

Here is a fictional account to infer the sort of exchanges I've just read in the Which electric bike should I buy? forum.

"We have the eBike, model number XXXX" enthuses one trader in answering a question by the poster. "Check out our website" (A link is pasted).

"Our bike will do that", utters another ... and a third, supposedly helpful business, states, "Try ours ...We can lend you a demo".

This is in a public forum where users or potential users might welcome objective comments from everyday owners of an electric bicycle and sure, being fair to our commercial eBike traders, some merchants resist the urge to be as crass or blatant as others and, at least, many other comments and posts are diluted with real, Joe Public, accounts of their own experience of a particular brand or genre of machine.

I made the above comments regarding insensitive dealer / merchant quotes quite vague so as to spare any particular trader personal embarrassment, (though I wonder why I should be so thoughtful), and am paraphrasing and have made quotes loosely based on one of the first threads I clicked on in that forum, though not, necessarily, the first I came across. Nevertheless, as anyone can view for themselves, many comments followed the same predictable format I have outlined above.

---

There is little personal dialogue or genuine interest in some comment from some traders responding to genuine queries from potential eBike buyers.

A rhinoceros, mounting its mate, probably engages in more small talk, grunts or genuine interest than is shown by some, (though not all), traders responding to a Pedelec member's question or post on this forum.

Some traders on here are not that considerate, subtle or discreet in hiding their self serving interests, are they?

"Oh. Hi. I'm new here at Pedelecs. I'd welcome any objective views regarding my own, specific, unique, individual requirements as to the best type and genre of eBike I might consider purchasing ... new or second hand."

"Were you EVER listening to my words? Did you even hear my comments specifically related to my own personal requirements? Do you actually care about my own aspirations or reasons to own an electric bicycle?"

This is how it is ...

Commercial adverts take up to a third of the page, traders have their own trade forum, they have another forum as a directory ... and some traders view a question from another member as a legitimate invitation to bombard a poor poster with sales spiel ... no matter what an actual poster's particular, personal requirements are likely to be.

Like shooting fish in a barrel, eh?

Oh yeah ... And the site, a trader's shop window in some ways, gets a fab makeover to attract new members like me, (which it did), BUT it appears that some traders, (certainly the O.P), are quite ungrateful, even selfish, in describing such site changes other than in some negative fashion!

And here is the rub ...

I think the trade / technical / clinical side of Pedelecs is way too chilly an atmosphere to encourage and inspire new folk like me to actually wish to stay and communicate for very long.

"Fair enough, Beach. You can always jog on and find somewhere else if this site doesn't meet your expectations".

Yep. Sure I can but, as a newly enrolled member, (articulate, thoughtful and passionate about my own newly acquired pastime), you know and I know that my perception of Pedelec.co.uk offers a valuable insight into how others may view these forums.

---

Will someone please do me a big favour? Will someone explain just what the demographic definition of the Pedelec forum is right now?

With regard to the forums themselves ... not the whole site ...

I mean ... So many of you have been here for years and years and years ...

Are you all retired? Sorry. Shouldn't generalise. Rather ... Is the Pedelec forum largely a senior citizen based site? Or is there more a techie, nerdy core to the contributors who post? Or will you claim it attracts all age ranges and all interest groups?

I also get a feeling the forums are largely just male based. Am I wrong about that? I've noted the occasional female contributor but ... there is something I just can't put my finger on ...

The site doesn't seem to gel ... socially.

Sure. You old timers with your thousands and thousands of posts amongst each other, obviously gel and jest and josh with each other ... but I bet you also get in the way as well.

I don't think you lifers spoil the site though. Rather, I think it is the trade thing!

It keeps the atmosphere of the site too cold, too technical, too ... well ... too cynical ... with a scent and smell of self commercial interest never very far away.

Was Pedelecc.co.uk always meant and planned to be a commercial venture or was it a hobby style site that started taking trader ads?

Whatever the answer, I applaud Pedelecs, (the site owners and managers), for creating such a fab repository of useful, eBike related knowledge and information.

If you, (Pedelec.co.uk), actually have to pay a wage or wages to keep the show on the road then the trade thing is just something all of us have to take with a pinch of salt and, to your credit, you do warn visitors and members that the site does indeed have a commercial, trade, merchant based contingent.

I mean. I don't mind the impersonal nature of online sites such as Ebay. Heck. We all know the nature of such commercial enterprises. We should expect a hard sell, (via text, graphics, videos or other means), to promote a particular product.

But ... should we expect potential eBike traders to engage in urgent, instant "You know you want it" style invasions of our sensibilities ... just because some of us choose, naively or innocently, to ask a public form what sort of eBike might suit our particular, individual needs?

The front end of Pedelecs.co.uk is a fantastic portal for the inquisitive new, (or seasoned), eBiker and does take on the mantle of a fully fledged consumer based tool to be explored and utilised ... and it does represent a fab, professional and slick introduction to any eBike browsing visitor.

The graphics, the text, the layout and the whole atmosphere of visiting the front end of Pedelec.co.uk is breathtaking and so, so cool! ... But the predatory nature of some, not all, eBike traders, is a huge turn off ... to this particular new eBiker anyway.

I won't be writing anything like this again. I've laid out my particular view here and I'm nobody. I'm just a man who has discovered a fabulous new diversion and from this moment onwards, if I choose to stay, I intend to write about the human stuff.

The adventures, the joys, the best kept secret of those of us who have discovered just how liberating the ownership of an eBike actually is.

Sure. I may need and seek technical guidance ... and may post questions accordingly, but, generally, if you see any future 'Beach' thread, I want you to be able to view and treat it as a trader free zone*, more focused on the simple joy of sharing, utilizing and enjoying the wonders an eBike can bring.

*Traders, like anyone, can obviously contribute to any future thread I present and their views will be welcome and responded to by myself ... unless they are promoting some product or service.

Reactions: bigroy and Kenny

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
If each member had their own forum within pedelecs it would probably be an internet first and could create a stir. Pedelecs.co.uk could become famous, and maybe the idea of having a personal forum would attract many more members to our site.

It's a thought! ;)
Ha ha.

Yeah ... and pigs might fly!

Stick to your small pool, flecc.

I'd surmise that, unless the subject matter involved a bicycle chainset, you'd probably drown ... but, hey, what do I know?

For moderators and those unable to acknowledge or recognise humour, I was just having a cheeky laugh with flecc and hope my comment was seen in context in that vein.

Seriously ... not intentionally focusing on any individual ... this site lacks warmth, humour and humanity and there is little in the way of personal, human dialogue at some emotive, welcoming level.

As I said, (above), I'll offer a haven, a bolt hole, an oasis for folk to share human stuff ... IF they wished to explore such an experience. (If I hang around).

You flecc?

You carry on doing what you do. (I presume your input is appreciated and viewed as being of of some worth or value).

Should each member have their own personal forum?

NO. It is a ridiculous concept.

Rather ... an environment to bring people together should be pursued.

Disclaimer.

Yeah. I'm new to this particular form and yeah, I may have got things wrong. I mean ... If you folk like your sterile, technical and / or commercial Pedelec internet forum experience as it is, then, how dare I suggest or ask you to open up and turn all emotive for me!

But ... to return to the post in question ...

"Sorry Guys ... ANY version of this Pedelec forum format will suck ... unless and until a TRUE engaging social experience is created for visitors!"

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Sure thing Beach. And I happen to think you can do all that AND have the traders attempt to sell their stuff right here at the same time. I'm in sales myself (who isn't? in some way?) - so I find it highly interesting to see how they go about their business - and anybody with their eyes open it will give you an excellent insight into probably all you will need to know about your on-going experience with that company if you do decide to buy from them.

But sure - if the volume became too much - if there were 20 crap-trade responses for every 'human' post sent - then sure that would be a pain - not noticed that ratio myself.

I suppose rather than it annoying me when a trade person makes an ass of him/herself I find it amusing. Let them post - let them reveal what kind of service you're going to get if you buy off them.

Reactions: Fish36

Fish36

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2014
UK
Sure thing Beach. And I happen to think you can do all that AND have the traders attempt to sell their stuff right here at the same time. I'm in sales myself (who isn't? in some way?) - so I find it highly interesting to see how they go about their business - and anybody with their eyes open it will give you an excellent insight into probably all you will need to know about your on-going experience with that company if you do decide to buy from them.

But sure - if the volume became too much - if there were 20 crap-trade responses for every 'human' post sent - then sure that would be a pain - not noticed that ratio myself.

I suppose rather than it annoying me when a trade person makes an ass of him/herself I find it amusing. Let them post - let them reveal what kind of service you're going to get if you buy off them.

Couldn't agree more OxygenJames!:)

Having taken a look through a few of the recent comments I would agree some of the technical discussion can seem a bit 'sterile' though to conduct the work/DIY chatted successfully and safely in some threads requires complete understanding of what one proposes undertaking...for one I will be eternally grateful to the many trade and non-trade members, and also the owners of this site for providing great assistance to me by just being able to read the existing threads through or now that I am a recently joined member have taken the time to directly assist me:) Those members who have made many thousands of posts and dedicated a considerable gift of their time to the forum members make Pedelecs to my mind so welcoming. A lot of us could probably learn a great deal from these folks (trade and non-trade) and not just on e-bikes as it is obvious many of them have held very interesting/senior positions in varied roles and have a great breadth of knowledge that most importantly they are willing to impart if asked.

This particular thread was started because a trade member wished to be able to launch their new bikes in a highly visible place, that is what is being debated if I have things correctly? This thread is not about trade contributions on a 'I need a new bike, what do you recommend' thread which I have also found some of the contributions a bit 'cheesy' to say the least at times when I was just a casual reader and non-member of the forum.

Though I for one welcome a really thorough and easy to find new bike launch thread per each new bike. A 'press release' elsewhere may be all bluster with no opportunity to critique, though a willingness to describe your new bike, why it was spec'd that way, who it is aimed at and suitable for...then allow everyone on the forum to Q&A on that bike directly underneath to me is priceless and actually takes some real belief in your product as a trade member as there are some seriously knowledgeable non-trade members here who will pull a 'bad bike' or poorly priced bike to bits for all to see.

My first e-bike was pre-owned and selected with the help of reading many threads on this forum, that knowledge gained from just reading made my selection a great choice (for me) and I couldn't be happier with the bike and it will soon be back in action thanks to the kind gift of time and input from forum members, one in particular who to my mind deserves a medal for the quality of his input and the patience he gives that input with.

My next bike is likely to be brand new and will cost between £1500 and £2500, and be used for something completely different to my current bike. Too right I want to know all I can about potentially suitable bikes before I commit that kind of cash...and a full-on bike launch in a visible place followed by 'expert' and newbie members questions will go a long way to swaying my purchasing decision. Then the owners can give input on the bikes straight into the same thread and we will all know if the bike and support lives up to expectations.

Appreciate everyone in likely to want something different from this forum, at different times though I have found members contributions on their e-bike adventures super motivational and EddiePJ's posts on this forum almost single handedly got me into e-biking which I am loving...and it has already improved every area of my life! Though I read another thread just the other day from a chap who had purchased a new e-bike and it was brilliant to get a feeling of his excitement for his purchase, made me feel all warm and fuzzy on his behalf...smashing stuff:)

Fish36

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 27, 2014
UK
With regard to some members who have vast amounts of posts to their name and the value of their contribution to the forum, flecc saved me a fortune when looking to buy a pre-owned e-bike:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/selling-and-buying-second-hand-e-bikes.4311/#post55373

So too right as a newbie I don't know flecc from Adam as the saying goes, never exchanged a post with him, but I sure value the contribution he and folks like him make here. I would never bought an e-bike without the many contributions to this forum like his and their content. It's one of reasons I read the forum so much, bought an e-bike and eventually joined.

Reactions: falmouthtony

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
I think it is about balance and think less catagories would be nice. However the most important thing is non trade members like the forum. You are going to massively reduce the number of active members if the site is purely focused on the needs of us traders. One of the best things about the forum is some of the contributions of non trade members e.g. Flecc.

Last edited:

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Firstly and most importantly, thanks so much for the thoughtful, insightful comments some of you have obviously taken a long time over.

Getting straight to the bottom of it, I wonder if this can this be simply rectified by allowing just bike information, specs, new launches, the story behind a bike’s design - as Fish36 said (thank you) - in this Electric Bicycles category - but as information i.e. hard facts, rather than a sales pitch.

We have asked traders to leave the main electric bicycles category free of sales because it is off-putting, so by allowing traders to put their bike info but not ‘promotions/offers’ in there, there will be a line in the sand that traders will need to respect and we will need to moderate in some cases.

I will say there are traders that absolutely use this the forum to both their best advantage and that of Pedelecs’ at the same time – some even offering their experience in recommending another brand when theirs doesn’t fit the poster's requirements. Readers of this forum will of course build up pictures of the sort of trader they will buy from.

Most of the other categories have been set up for a reason as has been said in this thread.

Events and Meets could potentially get lost in a faster-moving 'all in one' forum. This was intended more for the informal events/meet ups rather than the national ones covered on the front end news. This is also now linked the forum calendar and needs to be separate to enable people to RSVP.

Lumping every single category into one bar the charging post might also be a bit overwhelming for ‘newbies’ looking for a clear steer on where to get started once they land in the forum. I worry some might feel less inclined to post in an 'all in' forum full of very knowledgeable/technical posts. 'What e-bike should I buy' is for first timers to say what they’re looking for – and yes it is down to traders to be sensible here.

Technical and batteries – could go in main electric bikes, that chops one under-used category out.

There are plenty of opportunities for traders to sell on Pedelecs (and at very reasonable rates too!). Yes we have invested a great deal in this new site – thank you for the nice comments about that – we wanted a site that could be home to both the ‘technical’ and ‘human’ chat and we spent an awful lot of time working out how the new front end could help first timers get on their first e-bike, alongside the forum.

The success of this forum is very much down to its members however and we are always grateful for the knowledge shared and time spent helping others, particularly from those ‘lifers’ mentioned.

We are a very small company and there are still only relatively small numbers of us that have electric bikes, which is something we want to change and we need to encourage as many people as possible to join this forum by making it a pleasant place to be as well as easy to find what they need.

Also if anything shows the 'human' element of owning an electric bike to best effect, in my view, it’s the ‘How my electric bike changed my life’ stories on the home page which started on the forum. I never get tired of hearing what a difference these bikes make to people’s lives.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your time with this :)

Does anyone have any further suggestions or think differently? Whatever we do it's not set in stone, it can always be changed. I just wonder if we merged more categories we would revisit the requests to split them out again..

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Seriously ... not intentionally focusing on any individual ... this site lacks warmth, humour and humanity and there is little in the way of personal, human dialogue at some emotive, welcoming level.
Where's hech when he's needed ? :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

As I said, (above), I'll offer a haven, a bolt hole, an oasis for folk to share human stuff ... IF they wished to explore such an experience. (If I hang around).

You flecc?

You carry on doing what you do. (I presume your input is appreciated and viewed as being of of some worth or value).

Should each member have their own personal forum?

NO. It is a ridiculous concept.
My personal forums suggestion was very tongue in cheek Beach, reflecting the actuality of members requirements of our forum being so individual and variable. Of course it would never happen, but discussion of apparently impossible concepts is, I'd suggest, just one of the entertaining elements that would make the site more to your liking.

In fact this site has been very warm and human with abundant humour during many past periods, but I agree it is going through a rather serious and one might say dull period more recently.

There's a number of reasons for that. One is that the membership started to change into a more technically inclined one about eighteen months ago. I warned at the time that this could make us just another Endless Sphere site in respect of e-bikes, and that has proved partially true. This in turn discourages many others who have more social inclinations from participation, and we've seen the membership change in that fashion. Admin have recognised this and tried to separate out some of the tech content with the off-road forum, but it remains to be seen whether this will be adequate.

Another reason for the site's present demeanor is the ongoing long term dispute about trade participation and content, and here views vary widely. Many share my view that most of it is valuable and comes from trade sources genuinely interested as e-bike enthusiasts and happy to help members. Others though are annoyed and even infuriated by it, unable to put aside their cynicism about the reason for traders presence. Again admin have recognised this with a separate trade areas, but it's obvious that some traders are unhappy with this, and supported by some members who don't like the separation.

There will be other reasons, but it's certainly true that the present site would be unrecognisable to many of the members from the early years when it was bubbling with conversational posts and humour. Many of those people are still around and some still e-biking as I know from some e-mails I get, but are no longer active members. The only area where they might see a bit more of the old social chat is the Charging Post Forum, but even that gets bogged down in disputes and the overly serious at times.

Will it change, can it change? I've no idea, but the somewhat dominant technical subject input does tend to be a persistent factor able to outlive all competition.

N.B. Crossed with Helen's and subsequent posts above.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Just a quick word about Flecc for the newbies to the Forum.

Sorry if this embarreses you Tony (AKA Flecc), but for those who don't know him or the history of the forum going back almost 8 years, Flecc has been a member and prolific poster right from day one.
I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that the forum would not have kept going without him.

The depth of knowledge and experience that he freely shares with no bias is unrivalled.

If you have a huge amount of time on your hands you read some of the 26,000 posts he has contributed to date and you will see what I mean.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Poisonally - I would like a "Precis" button so I don't have to wade through the long-winded posts some of the newer members seem to favour.
If we had one of those life would be a Beach, I mean beach.

Reactions: jackhandy

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can't see anything wrong with Kudos wanting to announce new bikes in the 'electric bicyles' section - Dave usually publishes full specifications and pictures that interest many of us.
But I suggest that traders when posting in this section of the forum restraint themselves to help with techinal issues and not try to push 'by the way, I have just the bike', which should really go in 'which bike should I buy'.
The new site is a lot smarter than the old site, don't look back.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
As long as everyone knows where they stand and there are the same rules for all. Would be happy to publish info about some of our new 2014 bikes but not possible currently.

You can never please everyone but if we can keep most happy that would be great :)