Speed Pedelec successfully registered with DVLA (Riese & Muller Cruiser HS Vario)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh id not buy another bosch motor bike as like apple they make the batts so you cant recell them esp the power tube batts.

jimmy use to recell the fame packs but no longer does this because bosch booby trap the bms like all the other main brands so wiont do they anymore.

if i had the money id go for one of these

that motor can do 3kw at a push ;)

ubul

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2021
tbh id not buy another bosch motor bike as like apple they make the batts so you cant recell them esp the power tube batts.

jimmy use to recell the fame packs but no longer does this because bosch booby trap the bms like all the other main brands so wiont do they anymore.

if i had the money id go for one of these

that motor can do 3kw at a push ;)

Good to know, I hate when **** is unrepairable... but I think we have drifted off-topic here :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not bother with giant bikes either as they use the yamaha motor but make there own displays and batts same as specialized with the brose motors can mean long wait if something needs to be replaced under warranty.

tho a dongle will get you to about 35mph b4 it will cut power with the dongle i have ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did not know the Netherlands story. I wonder the level of "chaos". I will research it. Thanks. I mean this all is more a nuisance to me rather than a thing to put me off electric bikes. There is still a lot to gain from owning one even if one has to be vexed extra for their ownership....
With the S class 45kph (28mph) e-bikes allowed, the i.c. mopeds also joined in on the cyclepaths. Of course they should all have been riding considerately at bicycle speeds, which there are quite slow, but it appears that didnt happen. The understandable outcome was a storm of protests from cyclists who of course are the dominant force politically there.

It appears there was a residual backlash in France, where they cancelled their previously announced plans to introduce the S class pedelecs onto their roads, so it damaged the prospects for faster e-bikes being more widespread. As emphasis of their reversed intentions the French also introduced savage punishments for anyone who hotted up a pedelec. Information Link

Makes our mild policing seem very generous!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
With the S class 45kph (28mph) e-bikes allowed, the i.c. mopeds also joined in on the cyclepaths. Of course they should all have been riding considerately at bicycle speeds, which there are quite slow, but it appears that didnt happen. The understandable outcome was a storm of protests from cyclists who of course are the dominant force politically there.

It appears there was a residual backlash in France, where they cancelled their previously announced plans to introduce the S class pedelecs onto their roads, so it damaged the prospects for faster e-bikes being more widespread. As emphasis of their reversed intentions the French also introduced savage punishments for anyone who hotted up a pedelec. Information Link

Makes our mild policing seem very generous!
I was followed by a police car very slowly for about a quarter mile the other night - I think they were measuring my speed... my ebike is limited to 15mph. If it hadn't been, I imagine it would have made me sweat.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I was followed by a police car very slowly for about a quarter mile the other night - I think they were measuring my speed... my ebike is limited to 15mph. If it hadn't been, I imagine it would have made me sweat.
Don't get paranoid by plod, on all my bikes I can ride well above the cut off speed so following me would prove nothing .

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i never passed my bike test at school but at the age of ten i was riding there and back 5 miles on a toys r us race bike with the shifters on the down tube i went fkn miles on that thing. :D

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Don't get paranoid by plod, on all my bikes I can ride well above the cut off speed so following me would prove nothing .
Aren't you worried about legal or financial hassles in the event of an accident? Someone could pursue a private legal action. It's the other reason I limit mine - if the police had stopped me, all they'd find is a completely legal ebike because for me, it isn't worth the small amount of time I'd save going to work delimited... plus my brakes aren't up to the task of stopping me going any faster than 15mph (vbrakes). I did de-limit once when I first assembled it, but only cut 14 minutes off my time to work, and it was hard to stop the bike when people wandered in front or vehicles became problematic. This horn has helped avoid many a collision:

My only issue with the design is the connector to the horn from the switch, it's a 2.5mm mono audio style connector which keeps jolting out: a gaffa tape or tiny ziptie fix.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0082_02.JPG

my brakes are like buttons 3-5mm is full wheel lock if you jumped on my bike and went flat out,30mph and pulled the front brake you do a super man and go flying over the bars.

DSC_0112.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aren't you worried about legal or financial hassles in the event of an accident? Someone could pursue a private legal action. It's the other reason I limit mine - if the police had stopped me, all they'd find is a completely legal ebike because for me, it isn't worth the small amount of time I'd save going to work delimited... plus my brakes aren't up to the task of stopping me going any faster than 15mph (vbrakes). I did de-limit once when I first assembled it, but only cut 14 minutes off my time to work, and it was hard to stop the bike when people wandered in front or vehicles became problematic. This horn has helped avoid many a collision:

My only issue with the design is the connector to the horn from the switch, it's a 2.5mm mono audio style connector which keeps jolting out: a gaffa tape or tiny ziptie fix.
No because the motor speed cuts out legally within in 15.5pmh +/- 10%, extra speed is generated by human power only over and beyond the cut off.

Though not as capable as I used to be, I can still top 24mph on the drops of my gravel bike with the Revos friction drive, my hubs about 20/22 mph.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I got to 32mph Saturday, but that was downhill and downwind. Luckily the Bosch Abs system won't let you stop fast enough to fly over the bars, though hitting something solid (sheep being favourite round here) would work.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My regular downhill from Pease Pottage services I can top 40mph +.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
You probably bounce better than me, or believe you do. I nervously feather the brakes much above 30 mph: those sheep have no road sense and great camouflage, and the combines are awful wide.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You probably bounce better than me, or believe you do. I nervously feather the brakes much above 30 mph: those sheep have no road sense and great camouflage, and the combines are awful wide.
Don't see them around here in town.

• :D
Reactions: MontyPAS and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm sure you must have something you could run into at 30mph. Soundwave's chum found some!
Not if you look where you are going, it is other users who might hit you rather then the former.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got ran in to 2 times last year both on race bikes with rim brakes, i was not even moving lol.

DSC_0203_02.JPG

upgrade time :eek:

DSC_0083_02.JPG

might change those bolts over tho:p

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Quite shocking that the OP has been charged £300 for insurance for a moped. I have three motorbikes all on the same policy. A 900CC four year old Triumph StreeT Twin, a Honda CB 250 and a CG 125. The lot of them are comprehensively insured for £260.

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Quite shocking that the OP has been charged £300 for insurance for a moped. I have three motorbikes all on the same policy. A 900CC four year old Triumph StreeT Twin, a Honda CB 250 and a CG 125. The lot of them are comprehensively insured for £260.
Yep. £90ish fully comp for a vfr800 here.
£300 for a 28mph bicycle/moped? Madness.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My regular downhill from Pease Pottage services I can top 40mph +.
The fastest downhill I've managed so far is 35.2mph... but there's a very promising long downhill "A" road which I've been meaning to speed down sometime, in the middle of the night when it's quiet. It ends in a roundabout but has no intersections along it's long, straight, downhill stretch of recently resurfaced smooth tarmac. On the rare occasion I've used it during frighteningly fast and furiously crowded daytime traffic, I get to about 35mph halfway down. Looks low risk, perfect for an attempted night time 40mph+ run, to test my recently acquired wheel trueing skills.

Last edited: