The 100 Mile Challenge

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset

Many of you here will remember the Tour of Britain ride that a group of us did last September. I am pleased to announce the details of the 2009 event.

The challenge is to cover 100 miles on an electric bike. The event will be on Exmoor in the South West on Wednesday 9th September. The route will be chosen to incorporate as much as possible of the Tour of Britain route, but avoiding the main roads.

The route therefore will include lots of hill climbs and descents; this will present a test for e-bikes, but it also allows e-bikes to show how they can outperform non e-bikes.

The main challenge is to cover 100 miles on an electric bike, but the event is also set up so that it is a fun ride in an interesting area for entrants wanting to do a shorter distance.

Further details and an email address to register are in the link above and below.

Nick

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset

Is it feasible; doesn't it require enormous batteries?

Yes it is; we showed that last year, but it does require extra batteries. The rough figures are that current e-bike batteries are about 100 Whrs per kg. So a bike can carry about 1500 Whrs and still keep under the 40 kg max weight limit. That allows for an energy use of 15 Whr/mile which is more than sufficient to propel an e-bike.

This works out as 3 or 4 batteries on a typical e-bike. This is not as difficult as it sounds. Many riders have more than one bike and spare batteries that can be borrowed. In addition both eZee and Wisper have offered discounts on batteries for participants.

Can't a fit cyclist do it without batteries?

Well, a top athlete could, witness the Tour de France and Tour of Britain, but this event is not about them, its about showing that e-bikes can do it with non-athletes. Also the nature of the route favours e-bikes over lycras. On the uphill sections a good e-bike will outclimb the lycra, and on the downhill sections the e-bike should still win.

Hare and Tortoise?

Charging facilities will be provided at the half way point for those who want them. This opens up an interesting choice of strategy. Is it better to take the whole route at a steady pace, or is it better to go faster but spend time recharging?

Hub Motor v Crank Motor?

Last year, all the participants used hub motors. But a crank motor with drive through gears should have the advantage on hill climbing? Some people have suggested the crank motor bikes couldn't finish the course. Let's find out - bring them on.

Pedelecs Challenge

Here's a challenge for the Pedelecs Forum members. A to B Magazine have put up an award for the best performance on a production bike. How about a Pedelecs Forum award. What would you give it for? Best performance with en route charging; best performance without charging; oldest finisher; lowest weight finisher?

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
How about

Biggest Weight Loss During the Course of the Event

:)

But it sounds great!

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
Nick,
Sounds great fun. I am tempted, but a bit scared of that red drop-handlebar / Crystalyte beast with which you vanquished allcomers at Presteigne!

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Frank,

It would be good to have you along. I don't think the red bike would be the best for this event; it would cope with the hills but its hardly an economy machine. I may use my Torq 2.5.

Nick

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I'm also seriously tempted, but a bit concerned that the road legal aspect will be paid only lip-service (except for the weight restriction). I do think that if the road legal aspect were to be observed the results would be more meaningful. Or may be I'm just taking it all a bit too seriously ;)

Either way it sounds like fun, but I would hate to be miles behind all the modified Torqs....

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I'm also seriously tempted, but a bit concerned that the road legal aspect will be paid only lip-service (except for the weight restriction). I do think that if the road legal aspect were to be observed the results would be more meaningful. Or may be I'm just taking it all a bit too seriously ;)
I think we'll be more road legal on Exmoor than e-bikes are in general. Basically its all self enforcing once the weight limit is observed. You can't go too fast or deploy excessive power simply because you can't carry the batteries required. That's the beauty of it - with one simple weight check we cut through all the nonsense.

Nick

C

Cyclezee

I may use my Torq 2.5.

Nick
I would love to be there Nick, but I am in Belfast that week:(
Also my dilema would have been which bike to bring, Torq Trekking, 100 quid Forza or Pro Connect S?

One question, Torq 2.5? what is that exactly or is it top secret?

J:) hn

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Yes, but why 2.5?

If it came fourth, why not 2.4?

Or 4?

These are deep and mysterious matters which require explanation...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Torq 2.5?

My guess is same bike, LiFePO4 battery, a half way improvement to Torq 3.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Batteries

Well done Nick, it looks like a lot of fun!

If anyone wants to come and join in with their Wisper, I would be pleased to lend you a second battery for the event. If you don't have an electric bike and would like to borrow one, I am sure we will have some ex demos available for the day, strictly on a first come first served basis.

Although not super fit and maybe not up to the 100 miles, Norman, Gill and I will be there to help and take part in what looks like a great day out. :D

All the best David

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Any ideas of the route yet? Will it include the Cat 1 climb out of Dulverton? Phew!!

Mike

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
What about battery chargers? Would they have to be carried on the ride or could they be carried with the support vehicle and dropped off. It's an important point if you're sporting a couple of NIMH batteries since both could be charged at the same time over a leisurely lunch.

Last edited:

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Oriteroom, Barnowl,

The route isn't fixed yet, but Dulverton is a possibility. So is the climb out of Withypool. You will not have to carry chargers with you. There are arguments either way on this, but it also gets into a debate about what specification of electricity the organisers have to supply, so (this year at least) chargers can be shipped to the lunch spot.

What I may try to do is to create a figure of 8 / butterfly / bow tie shaped route, so that the start, lunch spot and the finish are all at the same place. This may be possible by combining the 2008 and 2009 Tour of Britain routes, which brings me to a request: Does anyone have the 2009 ToB route in electronic format that can be loaded into a mapping programme?

Nick

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
How much are ezee extra batteries available for,i have a torq 2 but would probably require 2 extra batteries to take part.