The 100 Mile Challenge

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Paul,

Talk to OnBike. They are handling that on behalf of eZee. I expect they may have to be advance ordered, and last year they were delivered to people at the start of the event.

Nick

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Wo sind die Kalkhoffen?

We have a small collection of people signed up. Not everyone has declared what bike they are riding, but generally we know what they have.

There don't seem to be any Kalkhoffs so far. Come on people, how about a 50 Cycles team entry? Or some privateers?

Nick

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
I'm working on signing up... Just have to clear it with the wife... arrange some time off from work... and sort out somewhere to stay down there... - It's looking likely that there'll be two Kalkhoff's and a Giant coming if I get everything sorted out and convince my folks to bring their motorhome down.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Nick
I would like to take part in this, however i have some reservations. I realistically i don't have the battery power to make the full distance unless i invest in some decent packs (i am thinking about it). I would like to see the route first (it sounds scary).
Is the event aimed at dealers/retailers/manufacturers or makes of ebike or can i take part on my diy effort?

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Is the event aimed at dealers/retailers/manufacturers or makes of ebike or can i take part on my diy effort?
Both, really, on both counts. Its for individual owners as well as entries from dealers/manufacturers. And its for production machines as well as specials.

One aim is publicity and to promote the cause. That fits in with the production machines. Another aim is to promote development and give somewhere to test new ideas. That fits in with the specials.

I haven't sorted the course yet, but one of the requirements is to start from a place where there is accommodation for the night before.

Nick

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
It's looking likely that there'll be two Kalkhoff's and a Giant coming if I get everything sorted out and convince my folks to bring their motorhome down.
Jim,

I think you can count on it being motorhome friendly, because I will be going in mine.

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Regarding the legality issue, I think the high speed class Kalkhoff Pro Connect S with four batteries weighing together under 9 kilos would be a favourite to win, over 20 mph power assisted with substantially more climb power and speed than standard Panasonic motored bikes.

I can't understand why anyone would say the standard Panasonic type bike couldn't complete the course, they are the most suitable of all for the distance, though having slower averages than the most powerful hub motored bikes.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Road Legal

Sorry I may be being a bit slow here. :confused:

Nick can we use any size motor we want as long as the bike and battery weigh under 40kg? And the 15mph under power is not going to be adhered to?

We are testing a 1400W motor for a new project which will be revealed next year. The problems are keeping the front wheel on the road, keeping the spokes in place and not wiping out the rear tyre when we turn on the power! :cool:

All the best David

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Sorry I may be being a bit slow here. :confused:

Nick can we use any size motor we want as long as the bike and battery weigh under 40kg? And the 15mph under power is not going to be adhered to?

We are testing a 1400W motor for a new project which will be revealed next year. The problems are keeping the front wheel on the road, keeping the spokes in place and not wiping out the rear tyre when we turn on the power! :cool:

All the best David
David,

There are other forces abroad who may expect you to comply with all sorts of stuff. But all we are going to do for this event is to check the weight is 40 kg or less.

The reasoning is that weighing is a simple check to make but checking the 15 mph cut out is not. Checking power is even more difficult, even if we could all agree on the definition of power.

Also, on an event like this, the weight limit will naturally enforce speed and power limits. Higher power needs bigger batteries and hence more weight. So I'm not worried about it turning into an arms race - though I do have a 1401 W motor somewhere.....

Nick

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Mr Mussells

Hi Andy

Your point is? :D

Hi Nick

Can't help poking fun! :) All our bikes will be governed to 15mph and sport a
250W motor. :rolleyes:

I am really looking forward to this, it's going to be a lot of fun, I have persuaded one daughter and boyfriend to join in and am working on the other now.

How many riders have confirmed?

Best regards David

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Depends what you mean by confirmed. Nobody's signed any contracts in blood, but there are about 15 probables at this early stage.

Nick

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Early doors

That's excellent, for such early days, how many came last year?

Do you have a rout yet? I am off to Barnstaple in a couple of weeks and would like to have a go. Would you like me to help with the rout?

Has anyone thought of getting there a day early and staying after the event? If so maybe I could arrange some entertainment and a get together?

All the best David

Madness

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2009
Norwich NR1
Im thinking about giving it a go until i worked out the math and the numbers rolled in that i would need something like a total of 60Ah of batterys (working out on my avg watt hours per mile to and from work) which in lead acid would not be light!

The other huge down side would be the 320 mile trip each way.

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
Im thinking about giving it a go until i worked out the math and the numbers rolled in that i would need something like a total of 60Ah of batterys (working out on my avg watt hours per mile to and from work) which in lead acid would not be light!

The other huge down side would be the 320 mile trip each way.
You'd be over the weight limit on batteries alone (forget about the bike) with a 24 volt system - and about 60% over with a 36 volt system. I suspect the 320 miles to get there would be the least of your worries!

Rog.