The best legal ebike kit

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
After having tried hub and crank motors like Bafang bpm,cst 250w,bh emotion neo cross,bosch performance and cx,tonaro crank,xiongda 48v,mac mototor and tried lots lots of oter OEM bikes there is no doubt in my mind that this is the absolute best legal ebike kit avaliable right now:

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_36&product_id=189

But you need a battery that can give 25 a continiously-
I like this one:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/664-high-c-rate-polymer-li-ion-battery-heat-shrink-battery-pack-battery.html

D

Deleted member 4366

It took me a while to figure that out. There was a guy in Norway selling those a couple of years ago, and i must admit that I thought of contacting him then to get one.

I was going to buy a new PC, but now I'm tempted again.

Regarding the batteries, the Em3ev ones are very good too, especially the triangle ones, because at 25 amps you need a lot of capacity. Luna Cycles also have some nice high power batteries including their Mighty Mini, which is very good if you don't want to go too far.

If you go for one, get the gear sensor too.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
After having tried hub and crank motors like Bafang bpm,cst 250w,bh emotion neo cross,bosch performance and cx,tonaro crank,xiongda 48v,mac mototor and tried lots lots of oter OEM bikes there is no doubt in my mind that this is the absolute best legal ebike kit avaliable right now:

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_36&product_id=189

But you need a battery that can give 25 a continiously-
I like this one:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/664-high-c-rate-polymer-li-ion-battery-heat-shrink-battery-pack-battery.html
Well said, I couldn't agree more. :)
The even more legal 250W versions still pack a punch with good programming.
I imagine most people state side would be rather underwhelmed with our UK 250W offerings.
Em3ev do have some very natty stuff.

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

• Informative

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
It took me a while to figure that out. There was a guy in Norway selling those a couple of years ago, and i must admit that I thought of contacting him then to get one.

I was going to buy a new PC, but now I'm tempted again.

Regarding the batteries, the Em3ev ones are very good too, especially the triangle ones, because at 25 amps you need a lot of capacity. Luna Cycles also have some nice high power batteries including their Mighty Mini, which is very good if you don't want to go too far.

If you go for one, get the gear sensor too.
Actually I bought my 250w bbs02 motor from tihis guy in Norawy ;)
But I thougt it was easier for members here to use em3ev since it is english site and as far as I know he also some kind of support/service placed in UK ?

http://www.strommenelsykkel.no/

Man

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2015
I buy it at eclipsebikes in england,really good price and he send me my unit reprogramed at 18A.really happy with this shop.Im thinking about buy a gsm mid drive with external controller to put in other bike,but i dont know how it works compared with the bafang 36v 500w reprogramed to 18A.I supose that it gets hot faster than de bafang.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Man,
The GSM motor without internal controller does not heat up any faster than the Bafang BBS01 and BBS02.
We know it very well, we use it on our Bali bike, in this case, with a Lishui 18A HL controller.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bali

• Informative

Andy88

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2016
Ayrshire
Hello Man,
The GSM motor without internal controller does not heat up any faster than the Bafang BBS01 and BBS02.
We know it very well, we use it on our Bali bike, in this case, with a Lishui 18A HL controller.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bali
Im sure you are on the case but are you aware that your site is not responsive and very difficult to navigate on mobile devices :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hello Andy,

I put the menu button at the top left corner, circled in red on the picture.
The pages have a high number of pictures, that may explain the slow loading time. Matter of interest, which phone do you use?
I'll try to fix it in the next few days.

Sorry to be off topic.

Tony

Oscdav

Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2014
Hi People, I know I should have this sorted easily myself, but what is the difference between prices with import duty's etc. from the guy in Norway, Dillenger and Blighty price. Also what is meant by a re-programed unit….
advantages / disadvantages.
Thanks, Oscdav.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Em3ev will supply a Bafang 8fun BBS02 36v badged as 250w although it is the 500w motor, but programmed to 250w.

So the kit is UK legal, and should things change in the future, you can reprogram for 500w.

Em3ev ship the battery's different to the motors, but if ordering both at the same time, I guess it all gets shipped with the battery.

Costings were very good when I last looked, motor/battery (15ah 36v Lion) inc shipping was comming to around £900 not sure if it would escape import duty or not, although those that have bought from Em3ev say they have not been landed with import duty, which is reassuring to know, but know.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We sell at the same price to Nowegian customers but we charge extra £15 for shipping to Norway the BBS01 or BBS02 kits, £30 if you order with a battery (you get £20 discount if ordered with the battery, to soothe the pain of delivery cost). For example, a BBS02 with 15AH HL battery and charger will cost you £738 + £30 including shipping to Norway.
More details:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?cdkit

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Norwegian and EM3EV ones are 36 500w motors with better windings labelled 250w, they are reprogrammed to 250w and 15amps but if you wish you can turn the amps up for more torque and power hence the price is more then a std 250w BBS.
Most BBS01B sold by vendors are programmed by Bafang to be tame to prevent the controller dying and lack power Reprogramming allow you to change settings to give better power and speed levels as well as giving better/soft start up to be kinder to the controller.

Some essential reading also applies to BBS01.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/03/17/programming-the-bbs02-without-frying-your-controller-and-losing-your-sanity/

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/

The Norwegian and EM3EV ones are 36 500w motors with better windings labelled 250w, they are reprogrammed to 250w and 15amps but if you wish you can turn the amps up for more torque and power hence the price is more then a std 250w BBS.
Most BBS01B sold by vendors are programmed by Bafang to be tame to prevent the controller dying and lack power Reprogramming allow you to change settings to give better power and speed levels as well as giving better/soft start up to be kinder to the controller.

Some essential reading also applies to BBS01.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/03/17/programming-the-bbs02-without-frying-your-controller-and-losing-your-sanity/

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/06/26/a-hackers-guide-to-programming-the-bbs02/
Totally get the power differences, and the reasons why, Nealh. (Well clarified btw).
Is everybody on here happy that the arrangement described above would still be considered genuinely legal for use on UK roads as an EAPC?
Cheers Darren

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is everybody on here happy that the arrangement described above would still be considered genuinely legal for use on UK roads as an EAPC?
Cheers Darren

Darren as we know the changes can't be made by a switch or lcd adjustment, it physically needs a cable and the software programme down loaded to the pc etc to be able to make any adjustments. The legality view appears to be the fact that they are engraved 250w 36v, the ampage rating means nothing.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think you're all misunderstanding the situation.

• The motor is a legal 250w motor because it's marked 250w and rated at that by Bafang.
  • It's identical to the 500w BBS02 in all respects apart from the marking.
  • It comes programmed for 25 amps, not 15 amps, so is nearly twice as powerful as the 15A BBS01
  • The speed is adjustable via the LCD. You can set the maximum speed anywhere you want (15 .5 mph) up to about 40 mph.
  • The reprogramming that you can do via a special cable affects other characteristics and isn't necessary to make it legal, nor to change it to full power.
  • Each level on the display relates to a different current, so if you want less power, you can turn it down using the normal power control buttons. The number of levels can be adjusted with the LCD buttons (I think 3, 5, 7 or 9 levels). The levels are pre-programmed, though you can change them with the programming lead.

• Informative

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
EM3EV offer it in 3 ratings in a drop down box
250 15a 540w max.
350 18a 648w max.
500 25a 900w max.
It is retailed on their site as a 250 - 500w rating, so they will programme to suit your needs if you are not up to programming also you have to ask for a 250 marked unit other wise they will send a 500w marked one. It is the same as the 36v 500w model except for a 250w engraving to get around the law AFAIKS in most countries, It can only be legal in real terms if programmed to 15a/250w though an engraved factory mark will give buyers a piece of mind.

Last edited:

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Clear as mud, think I will wait until I can get my hands on a Bafang Max Drive ebike, and save on the faff of doing a lash up with a Bafang 8fun kit.

I think you're all misunderstanding the situation.

• The motor is a legal 250w motor because it's marked 250w and rated at that by Bafang.
  • It's identical to the 500w BBS02 in all respects apart from the marking.
  • It comes programmed for 25 amps, not 15 amps, so is nearly twice as powerful as the 15A BBS01
  • The speed is adjustable via the LCD. You can set the maximum speed anywhere you want (15 .5 mph) up to about 40 mph.
  • The reprogramming that you can do via a special cable affects other characteristics and isn't necessary to make it legal, nor to change it to full power.
  • Each level on the display relates to a different current, so if you want less power, you can turn it down using the normal power control buttons. The number of levels can be adjusted with the LCD buttons (I think 3, 5, 7 or 9 levels). The levels are pre-programmed, though you can change them with the programming lead.
Nah, pretty much as I though, so thanks for your clear clarification.
The setting of the amps (thus restricting power) via the programming software is fine and, so I'm told, upon request can be programmed at factory when the controllers are manufactured (flashed with 15A max settings opposed to 25A).
Equally, the max. speed that the power will be delivered up to can be set via the software to max 25kph to override the onboard display's ability to allow this on the fly if you will, so the rider cannot increase this via the second back menu accessed with the code.
I think the only concern I had outstanding, was whether it could be viewed as a clear effort to deceive and get around the law of the relevant country?
From my view, it's just an uprated motor set to run way below it's potential, thus offering greater protection if maltreated (pushed hard uphill on throttle or with too low/slow cadence and heavily loaded).
Apart from the slightly higher cost and marginal weight increase from more copper etc. inside the unit, I can't really see any problems with running a 36V 500W at these lower 'dialled-down' settings.
Thanks again for everybody's input :)

• Informative