The New 2012 Xipi

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I decided to delete/edit this post...thread degenerating into same old discussion.

Last edited:

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
When the government decides to get all the idiots off the road who have no car insurance , tax or driving license , I may comply ....
Some people need to get a life. Sad old gits comes to mind.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ha ha ha still a rubbish bike....

cheap and crude bike with no name wheels and not even hydraulic brakes...slap a 1500 watt kit on and away you go...Good luck!lol

Last edited:

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Now I totally agree with Eddie , it's not something I would buy.
Let people make their own decisions.
Over 1 million cars are not insured. You try claiming off them if they hit you.
The courts are toothless like some of our forum .
2 for 1 deal at aldi for steradent fill your boots boys :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Now I totally agree with Eddie , it's not something I would buy.
Let people make their own decisions.
2 for 1 deal at aldi for steradent fill your boots boys :)
Cant compare apples and pears, neither do two wrongs make one right..

Bikes like the HS Kakhoffs and Bosch bikes and some of the more esoteric (expensive) bikes that you own and are interested in are SAFE, they are designed and built for road use at high speeds.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The illegal bike thing has been argued to death so many times that we are never going to reach an agreement over the issue or persuade each other to alter our views.

All that people who argue against illegal bike are concerned about is that the use of those illegal bikes will eventually have an adverse effect on them through more stringent regulation. The legal bike owners probably feel that this would be unjust because they have done nothing wrong, they have in fact stayed within the law, but feel that the actions of others who use bikes illegally, have put their freedoms at risk.

I don't think that there is any hint of self righteousness, do-gooding or of wanting to spoil anyones fun, it just that people don't want to suffer due to the actions of others. There is nothing wrong in that.

I appreciate that forum members come from all walks of life, so there there are bound to be people on here who are far too stupid to understand this point of view. If you are one of them, that's OK, its not your fault.

Last edited:

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee it. Yeah.

(Though if I'm ever in Banbury I wouldn't mind a test ride on one of those bikes.)

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Lets make this very clear - it is not illegal to purchase a kitchen knife but very illegal to stab someone with it. If Tesco stop selling them they may not publicly call ASDA a bunch of selfish idiots without being dragged though the courts
....Very true, but if the advertising on the knives packaging encouraged young people to buy them on the strength that the knife could be used to kill someone, I think that Tesco would quickly stop selling them and would be within their rights to criticise other stores that continued to market them in this way.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
This forum is accessible all over the world; do you not think that readers / contributers from other countries with different legeslation get bored stiff reading all these threads that degenerate into discussions about adhearance to UK law?

Really?.....I thought the forum was Croydon centric:confused::rolleyes:

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Not sure how my comments were taken but lets get this straight. I have absolutely no problems with someone selling bikes that are not for road use if they make that perfectly clear.

I do have a problem with them putting things in their advertising that seem to be activily encouraging the people who buy them to then use them illegally (otherwise why stick a 250w sticker on a 1500w motor ?)

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Frank of Xipi signed himself off as agreeing with me that he is a selfish idiot. Why does this matter,well parts of this forum seem to be the core customers of these illegal bikes and responses to my posting appear to endorse that,although I must say that the number of supporters of these illegal machines seems to be reducing,maybe shame is keeping them away.
Why does this matter-you only have to look at the kit car industry over the last 10 years. At one time almost unregulated,then there was a fatal accident with a powerful kit car and SVA inspection was introduced costing £400 per vehicle,now upgraded to IVA costing almost £700 per vehicle....it took all the independent designs away,the smaller companies went bust overnight and building a kit car became a complex and expensive project,the industry has changed into a smaller number of bigger players and is now a much smaller industry.
The obvious government knee-jerk reaction would be all e-bikes would have to have EN15194,that will happen anyway but an accident would sure hasten matters. Ironically that would be good for the likes of Kudos,Wisper,Ebco etc because all our bikes already meet EN15194 but the smaller companies would struggle to meet the costs involved.
What I cannot understand about manufacturing illegal bikes is that it makes no business sense. The market for illegals must be small,there is no growth potential,no insurer is ever going to cover them for product and public liability insurance and the risk of being sued heavily is very high.
Franks advert describes the new Xipi as a Commuter bike with 1500 watts,I just cannot see how you can commute to work on private land(note not off-road the land must be private)? Also the mention that the motor has only 250 watts marked upon it is clear to all that this suggests that if you deristrict to 1500 watts it would still appear as 250 watts-this would be cannon fodder to any half decent prosecution barrister.
I have become quite passionate about these e-bikes,I enjoy the engineering challenge of getting the maximum performance within the constraints of EN15194 and the market is growing rapidly-Kudos despatched over 70 bikes last week. It would be a real shame if a few selfish idiots spoilt the business and the fun for the majority.
Dave
Kudoscycles

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
.....and it ****es me off...I don't have a car, I have a camper 'van and a bike,
Last year the 'van was on the road on exactly 24 days out of a possible 365.
...less than 100 hours out of a possible 9000 hours, yet it still costs me an arm and a leg to run it legally.
I seriously resent the fact that the government does not come down hard on un-licensed ...un-taxed
...un-insured drivers who often killing innocent people.

.....any vehicle not complying with the law should be crushed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lets make this very clear - it is not illegal to purchase a kitchen knife but very illegal to stab someone with it.

The responsibilty to use ANY device within the realms of the law lies with the buyer/user.
I have no position regarding Frank or Xipi Kirstin, but the situation with e-bikes is different from any of the comparisons you make.

There is a responsibility on the manufacturer/supplier of an e-bike intended for use in public in the UK to make it conform to strict power and speed limits, both EAPC and EU specified. If they do not, it is a motor vehicle and not an e-bike and to offer it as an e-bike is misrepresentation.

There is no equivalence for other products, cars are not power or speed limited and with those it is the user who bears the burden for obtaining a licence to use them and their subsequent correct use. Equally knives are not limited in respect of blade length, width etc and it's only their usage that is legislated for.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
.....******* :)
Indeed.......I am really happy that Indalo explained how I could block these pea brained numptys...life is so much more enjoyable