Throttle hidden switch

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I'm putting on the thumb throttle while I've got handlebars apart.
I've bought a reed switch which I'll add somewhere to activate or deactivate throttle to keep within the law.
The traffic cops will be watching me most days as I ride past so figure I'll try stay within the law.
I figure a reed switch is best way?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm putting on the thumb throttle while I've got handlebars apart.
I've bought a reed switch which I'll add somewhere to activate or deactivate throttle to keep within the law.
The traffic cops will be watching me most days as I ride past so figure I'll try stay within the law.
I figure a reed switch is best way?
They are not concerned about you having a throttle, as usual with the police, for them its all about excess speed, riding dangerously and not obeying road signs and signals.

Policing throttles is virtually impossible anyway.

For the exemption from being a motor vehicle, the law says a pedelec should not have a throttle:

EXCEPT they can have a walk alongside throttle up to 4 mph.

EXCEPT they can have a start assist throttle operating up to 6kph (3.6 mph).

EXCEPT if the pedelec existed before 1st January 2016 and already had a throttle then, it can continue to have a full thottle permanently since it has "grandfather rights".

EXCEPT if the pedelec has been taken through inspection to be a 250LPM, it can have a full throttle.

So how on earth can an ordinary copper tell which is which when a pedelec passes them?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Just stick throttle on then.
I was going to modify a cheap exstention cable with reed switch and shrink wrap. Don't fancy cutting in the original wiring loom tbh. Magnet will do the on off..

If this works out for me, I plan to build another bike with something more exciting.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
If cops pull you over and take an interest in the bike the fact that you have the throttle is probably enough if they are inclined to impound it.

I assume you're running a motor (rear hub?), that is more powerful than 250W, if so that's a dead giveaway too, I doubt they'd believe a 250W sticker.

So having a hidden switch will make little difference I think, just use pedal assist when cops are about or use ebrake to kill motor and just coast and pedal appropriately.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
If cops pull you over and take an interest in the bike the fact that you have the throttle is probably enough if they are inclined to impound it.

I assume you're running a motor (rear hub?), that is more powerful than 250W, if so that's a dead giveaway too, I doubt they'd believe a 250W sticker.

So having a hidden switch will make little difference I think, just use pedal assist when cops are about or use ebrake to kill motor and just coast and pedal appropriately.
Hi.

No, front hub with 250w yose kit.
I'm going to fit throttle as I've got all the grips off to paint handlebars. I'll put on but not connect it for now.
I might buy another bike and use this bike for off road so will need throttle then. With a bigger motor!
Just want to try and stay within law as I'll be riding in city and parking next to police station. I'm sure I'll be quizzed at some point so best try not to make trouble for myself

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Does anyone really care if you have a throttle? Unless you are riding like a lunatic, or speeding along at thirty five miles an hour without pedalling, or riding on a pavement, or without lights at night, I'd be amazed if anyone interfered with you. I haven't been stopped by the police while driving cars, motorcycles, or bikes since 1975. I was last stopped on a bike in 1965, riding in the gutter on a dark busy road without lights. Back in those rather strict days, I had to go to the police station with my mother to be scolded by a sergeant and given a caution. I was 14.

My bike is 250 watt, crank motor Bafang conversion, without the overall speed limitation applied. It has a throttle. I generally ride it in assist level 3 of 5, and on that setting, it stops assisting at 15.8 miles an hour. I only use the throttle on setting off at junctions or on steep hills, which around here are very common, harsh and long. At assist level 5 of 5, with the throttle on, the motor draws about 600 watts. I keep that to a minimum to save the batteries, controller and motor stress. On ;evel 5 of 5, without the throttle it assists up to 20 miles an hour, but I don't ride it on that setting. Some of the hills around here are 15% to 17%, so as a fit 72 year old, they would mean I'd be walking rather than working hard, standing up on the pedals without that level of assist. My own efforts and the 600 watt boost of throttle mode mean I can get up these hills while working hard, out of the saddle at about 7 or 8 miles an hour. I doubt any sane policeman would be the least bit bothered about an old git riding up a horrible hill at 7 miles an hour.. I am sure they have better things to do, like dealing with testosterone overdosed idiots, in chipped cars, flying about the roads, or drunks ,or drug addled fools. In my experience, cops are interested in dealing with dangerous behaviour on the roads, not technical infringements, of pettifogging rules.

A lot of people are rather paranoid about nanny state rules. If you look like a sensible cyclist, nobody is going to start messing with your bike.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A lot of people are rather paranoid about nanny state rules. If you look like a sensible cyclist, nobody is going to start messing with your bike.
Under normal circumstances I agree. The exception is if you have an accident, in which case the bike may well be very thoroughly checked by an expert who really understands the nitty-gritty of the law.

Last time I was flagged down by police in a car was in a rental 1/2 mile from picking it up. I'd made the classic errors of confusing indicators and lights but otherwise driven OK, so I was quite surprised. A red-faced policeman came up and said 'Terribly sorry sir. I didn't mean to flag you down. I'm in a new car and pressed the wrong button.'

Reactions: Tony1951

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In what circumstaces ?
The DfT are taking the liberal view and saying kit bikes can have throttles.

Because the type approval pedelec exemption from being motor vehicles only applies to manufactured e-bikes, technically all kit bikes are illegal since they have no specific permission to be on the roads, necessary in our law.

But an opposing liberal view is that since they are not manufactured and therefore cannot be subject to type approval law, the pedelec conditions law like the ban of throttles don't apply. But the pedelec usage on the roads EAPC law does apply, so is in effect permission to be there.

The net effect of that liberal view on kit bikes is that so long as the EAPC usage conditions are met, such as no assist beyond 15.5 mph and the 250 watt nominal motor power limit, a pedelec can have a throttle since no applicable law says they can't.

That of course is a British view, how it is observed elsewhere is another matter. Kit bikes do exist on the continent of course but I've no idea how they deal with the throttle issue there. Probably like all pedelec law there, tough in some places like southern France and Spain, easy going in others.

N.B. Post crossed with the one above from Az.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There is a lot of confusion when it comes to throttles. Law should be clarified so there is no room for misinterpretation.

In my opinion bikes with throttle are much safer than bikes without.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I would tend to agree.

In particular a throttle seems to make for a more stable getway from stationary, you can keep both feet on the ground as you pull away.

Thumb throttles, I am not so sure about, I have knocked one of those a few times when you get off to push the cycle just before one of those 'Cyclists must dismount' signs.

And a full throttle, easy to forget about it, you lean bike against wall and off it goes.

Half throttles seem the safest to me.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
There is a lot of confusion when it comes to throttles. Law should be clarified so there is no room for misinterpretation.

How about not clarifying and politicians just leaving trivial matters like this alone?

It is almost hilarious (or horrifying) that people keep on demanding even more regulations and red tape.

There are some things which are really serious in terms of their effects on our well being, while the question of whether a man riding a bike has a low power motor with a throttle on it to help him get up a hill, or whether it cuts off assisting at 20 miles and hour or 15.5, are utterly trivial and have no bearing whatsoever on road safety or the well being of society.

In a world where the Russians are threatening to assassinate our officials, while bombing a European country to smithereens, and hooligans are driving motor vehicles like racing cars, and where yobbos are tearing about on 750 watt scooters on pavements, or robbing phones and carrying knives, I think the people vested with responsibility for dealing with wrongdoers should probably have other priorities than whether a 250 watt electric bike conversion has a throttle on it.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I would tend to agree.

In particular a throttle seems to make for a more stable getway from stationary, you can keep both feet on the ground as you pull away.

Thumb throttles, I am not so sure about, I have knocked one of those a few times when you get off to push the cycle just before one of those 'Cyclists must dismount' signs.

And a full throttle, easy to forget about it, you lean bike against wall and off it goes.

Half throttles seem the safest to me.
I agree to, on a busy busy main road during rush hour you need to try and keep up and throttle helps from stationary, it can also get you out of danger if you do need to accelerate away for any reason.

I didn't want a grip throttle, I have my thumb throttle mounted in what I supposed is upside down mode so use my thumb to move the throttle UP for power, when I Iet go it jumps back to zero. I think this is safer then the standard press down on thumb throttle as if you get in to a crash it's easy to hit the thumb throttle causing more damage, if I lean on mine it does nothing so is safer.

I also like using it this way.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
How about not clarifying and politicians just leaving trivial matters like this alone?

It is almost hilarious (or horrifying) that people keep on demanding even more regulations and red tape.
I called for clarification, not increase of regulations and red tape. I hope you understand the difference. Law is there already in place we want it or not.

power motor with a throttle on it to help him get up a hill, or whether it cuts off assisting at 20 miles and hour or 15.5 (...) have no bearing whatsoever on road safety
Nonsense

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
One thing I'd say about the Yose power 250W kit with a throttle (of the OP), is that I've had trouble finding a setting so that the throttle cuts out at 25 kph. Even though the speed setting on the LCD is limited to 25kph, the throttle seems to over ride that and take the bike to it's max possible speed. I've been through all the options, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.