Throttles

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
on another forum that has an ebike secion - someone has posted that Wisper are fitting a throttle to their new ebikes

now - I cannot say that he has a wonderful reputation - but he does seem to know stuff about ebikes
mostly

but some of the conversation seems to say that a throttle that powers the ebike up to 15.5 mph is OK

Which, as far as I can see, if total rubbish (see - I'm being polite)

any opinions

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wisper bikes with full throttle are legal as they are legally tested and registered/type rated as LP250w pedelecs a class that DVLA allow in the UK barring NI. Each bike has to be tested to see it complies.

See this thread here
Law change? | Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
on another forum that has an ebike secion - someone has posted that Wisper are fitting a throttle to their new ebikes

now - I cannot say that he has a wonderful reputation - but he does seem to know stuff about ebikes
mostly

but some of the conversation seems to say that a throttle that powers the ebike up to 15.5 mph is OK

Which, as far as I can see, if total rubbish (see - I'm being polite)

any opinions
Hi Micheal, it’s been officially available for a few years. It’s perfectly legal but not very easy to achieve. We have spent some time over the winter sorting out the most efficient way to get bikes TA’d and now offer this as a service.

Please would you give me a link to the other forum ebike section?

Not rubbish at all, I guarantee.

All the best, David

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi Micheal, it’s been officially available for a few years. It’s perfectly legal but not very easy to achieve. We have spent some time over the winter sorting out the most efficient way to get bikes TA’d and now offer this as a service.

All the best, David
Just out of interest, does this need to start with a company manufactured bike, or is it open to individuals with for example a Bafang conversion kit?

And does the same with different level of testing apply for the speed pedelec class?

Thanks

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Matthew,

Im not 100% but I think you can use a full throttle on a kit bike as they are not regulated in the same way professionally built ebikes are.

All the best, David

Reactions: Stan464

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018

All the best, David
Link sent by DM

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
This is all interesting - I am thinking of it as a possibility between cycling and needing one of those scooter things.

Hopefully that'll be a few years off!!!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
This is all interesting - I am thinking of it as a possibility between cycling and needing one of those scooter things.

Hopefully that'll be a few years off!!!
This took several years to get to this point so I think scooters are a way off yet, this is no good for scooters though as they dont have pedals.

All the best, David

Vim Fuego

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
Perhaps visit a motorcycle forum, as soon as for fit a throttle, it's no longer a cycle, it's a electric motorcycle.

PED elecs

• Dislike
Reactions: joelectric

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Actually it’s a Pedelec according to the original meaning of the word, so this is exactly the place to be. It’s only a few years ago that the Government made the use of a throttle illegal on a Pedelec without TA. Many years after this PEDelec forum was first set up.

All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Perhaps visit a motorcycle forum, as soon as for fit a throttle, it's no longer a cycle, it's a electric motorcycle.

PED elecs
Not so if it complies with SVA testing and certification as a 250w pedelec.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Hi Matthew,

Im not 100% but I think you can use a full throttle on a kit bike as they are not regulated in the same way professionally built ebikes are.

All the best, David
Are throttles up to 27km/h legal with kit converted bikes? As far as I'm aware, they're not.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
DVLA don't actually legislate for kit bikes, but in essence if one follows the pedelec specs to the T then one should be ok. One can't be nicked for a class not allowed for so there is a loop hole in the legislation.
Follow the 250w motor marking and 25km/h max pedal assist and no throttle over 6km/h and one will be fine. No one as yet afawk has ever been prosecuted and kit bikes have been going for at least as long as tis forum has been active and likely well before the forum existed.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Full speed throttles allowed on legal pre 2016 ebikes. I think there is also an argument to be had for fitting a kit to a pre 2016 bike, is it the age of the bike or the kit? I don't think many motors are obviously date stamped, some frames are though. As Nealh says, as long as it's 250w and speed limited, you should be fine and are following the rules.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are throttles up to 27km/h legal with kit converted bikes? As far as I'm aware, they're not.
No they aren't for any normal pedelec. The 250LPM class mentioned above is actually part of the L1e-A 1000 watt moped class which the DVLA have made a GB only concession for in this lower powered 250 watt form.

In fact fully acting throttles have never actually been approved in law on pedelecs at any time. The original usage legislation simply omitted to say how power could be applied, this corrected in 2015.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
No they aren't for any normal pedelec. The 250LPM class mentioned above is actually part of the L1e-A 1000 watt moped class which the DVLA have made a GB only concession for in this lower powered 250 watt form.

In fact fully acting throttles have never actually been approved in law on pedelecs at any time. The original usage legislation simply omitted to say how power could be applied, this corrected in 2015.
So for clarity, a 250W L1e-A is a low power moped. Is it also a pedelec, and is it still a bicycle, in the formal meaning of those terms?

So does it inherit no helmet and no insurance via that route?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
So for clarity, a 250W L1e-A is a low power moped. Is it also a pedelec, and is it still a bicycle, in the formal meaning of those terms?

Hi Matthew, yes legally it’s a bicycle. The only big difference in law is that children under 14 cannot ride them. No insurance or helmet needed but of course we recommend them.

All the best, David

• Agree
Reactions: Stan464 and flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Hi Matthew, yes it is and yet it does.

All the best, David

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I think you should combine it with one of these
hg8407_2.jpg

It's the toy throttle that makes the revving motorcycle noise for kids bicycles.

• :D
Reactions: Stan464 and flecc