Tongsheng TSDZ2 review and build tips.

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Useful thread which helped me with my foray into electric cycling. My TSDZ2 (36V 250W) arrived from Pswpower a couple of weeks ago and has since been installed on my 2009 Carrera Kraken. Installation was very straightforward though the 48V 14.5Ah Hairon battery (yes I know they're different voltages) was too cumbersome for my liking. It's currently running with the temporary battery fitted in the frame bag while I await fogstar stock replenishing.
Various tidying jobs still to do though I'm delighted with it so far. Firmware has been changed a few times (firstly to enable 48V stock) though now running the excellent open source firmware modified for Vlcd5.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Nice looking build PP.

What was the thinking behind the 36v/ 48v mashup?

How did you get on doing the firmware upgrade?

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Nice looking build PP.

What was the thinking behind the 36v/ 48v mashup?

How did you get on doing the firmware upgrade?
The 36V is (I believe) better suited to a higher cadence and will run at a lower current on 48V. The firmware flashing was easy, getting the software to install, run and communicate with the TS was less so. I've got it running reliably now and I do love to tinker so will probably swap the display and alter the firmware. I've only done 50km so far though last 10km were wet so mudguards are next.

Reactions: Gavin

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
That's really interesting PP. I hope you'll forgive all my questions- you're the first person I've "spoken to" who's done the firmware upgrade. There's sooo much info on the ES thread that it's hard to fully understand it.

I knew there was a smaller firmware project for the VLCD6 displays but didn't realise it applied to VLCD5's as well. Have you noticed any significant performance improvements? (Other than being able to run 48v)

Which display are you going for- 850c or 860?

Cheers....

Reactions: Andy Vickers

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
That's really interesting PP. I hope you'll forgive all my questions- you're the first person I've "spoken to" who's done the firmware upgrade. There's sooo much info on the ES thread that it's hard to fully understand it.

I knew there was a smaller firmware project for the VLCD6 displays but didn't realise it applied to VLCD5's as well. Have you noticed any significant performance improvements? (Other than being able to run 48v)

Which display are you going for- 850c or 860?

Cheers....
The open source firmware branch covers all three of the (factory) displays and while I fancy the more discreet VLCD6 or XH18 I'll likely use a KT-LCD3 as they allow parameter adjustment on the road(plus I'm too tight to pony up for the 850/60.
I'm afraid I can't comment on the improvements that the firmware offers as the original firmware was removed before any testing was done. What I can say is I'm very impressed with the TSDZ2 and its smooth and powerful delivery, had the display showing 55Km/h briefly during testing though I've since dialled it down.
Happy to answer any questions which will become easier with further use.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
showing 55Km/h
That's similar to my bog stock 750w 48v so you're doing well there. I'm running a 42T chainring and 11T top gear and pedalling like a nutter to achieve that.

You're right about the cost of the Bafang displays, especially the 860. I hadn't even considered upgrading firmware while I had my VLCD5. I'll do a bit more research then hit you back with some questions.

Thanks again

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Well done @Pedant peddler that's a really nice build. What have you set the "Assist ratio setting" (A) to? Have you left it at the default of 16 ?
It's 12 according to the Vlcd5 though it's not something I set(or recall setting) when programming the open source firmware that's installed. I've a lot to learn regards the open source firmware though it can wait, having too much fun with it in its current state.

JohnDaBike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2020
UPDATE
Well, I thought I would share my initial experiences . This is my very first experience of riding an E-Bike so I have no reference or datum point compared to many others on the Forum.
  1. What an enjoyable experience it is to ride routes that were deleted from my cycling range because my weak leg muscles could no longer haul my bulk up hills.
  2. Pedal Assist is a gentle progressive support as and when you need it. On known flat areas I would switch off and just pedal. On hills where I would get off and walk in the past I now breeze up increasing the assist level as required. I have no requirement or desire for a throttle control.
  3. The TongSheng TSDZ2 was definitely the right way forward for me. It was straightforward to install and going for the 48v 4000rpm motor provides sufficient torque and power to haul me up all the hills in the local area. I have really no need to go at more than 15 mph and only ride faster than this down hills and flats without assistance. Having never had any sort of speed monitoring on my bike previously I had no appreciation of mph so being able to see the speed on the VLCD5 is a real eye opener.
  4. The battery I installed was the 48v 13aH Hairon LG and is over spec'd for my use. On the first full charge I achieved 54 miles ( made up of 4 separate rides of 10 to 14 miles each) which is more than I need so next time I may opt for a smaller lighter battery.
  5. Fitted mud guards, kickstand and rear light ( twin output speed sensor plug & cable included in the kit), bought an Urban style helmet to avoid the "Twat" image of a 68 year old F-BOB ( Fat Bloke on a Bike) and a Hi-Viz jacket so that those speed mad visitors to West Wales can see me on the narrow winding coast roads. I don't mind tourists coming to visit my Pembrokeshire idle but I just wish they would leave their "City Attitudes" at home and adopt a more relaxed pace of life while on vacation in West Wales. V- brakes & Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour tyres to follow.
  6. The mission of participating in the E-Bike arena at a low cost of entry has been achieved with great enjoyment and satisfaction. To be able to get out riding again is going to help improve my general wellbeing , health, fitness and Mrs. DaBike's patience.

larrylakes

Jul 19, 2020
I’ve just offered up my motor to the hub and it fits nicely. But it looks very similar in position to point C and the picture. Did you use a shim or spacer to move it out a little?

Reactions: Paul T

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
I’ve just offered up my motor to the hub and it fits nicely. But it looks very similar in position to point C and the picture
Larry, I'm guessing you mean you've offered it up to the bottom bracket, not the hub?

It's quite common to have to space the motor to get a good compromise between chain alignment and chainstay clearance. As long as you can still get the nut on the other end, it's fine.

Some have had to resort to giving the chainstay a localised "ding" to give the reduction gear housing a bit more clearance....

Reactions: Stan464

larrylakes

Jul 19, 2020
Yes I meant the bottom bracket. I’m still learning the lingo as I’ve spent years riding bikes but not fixing them. I’ll have a look at the alignment of the chain with a shim. I could alway buy an offset main cog .

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Yes I meant the bottom bracket. I’m still learning the lingo as I’ve spent years riding bikes but not fixing them. I’ll have a look at the alignment of the chain with a shim. I could alway buy an offset main cog .
The chain alignment/ chainstay clearance is always a bit of a juggling act. If you run it close to the chainstay, just make sure there's SOME clearance (even if it's only half a mil) otherwise the main motor shaft will be off-axis in the bottom bracket.

The "main cog" is called a chainring. Ofsets are definitely available if needed.

Reactions: larrylakes

larrylakes

Jul 19, 2020
Thanks I’ll have a proper look today. My gut feel is to put a shim in, I wouldn’t want to run it so close to the chainstay. If needed I can always buy an offset chainring. I’ve seen the blingrings but there so expensive.

Rufus ruffcut

Just Joined
Aug 8, 2020
Hi

Just like to echo the above, very useful thread and helped me with my TSDZ2 conversion (48v 250w). Mine came from Woosh, I know there are cheaper was of obtaining the kit, but Tony at Woosh is very helpful and very quick to reply when enquiring.
The most difficult part of the build was getting the crank arms off!!
886F37A7-8A6B-48DA-8F09-D9ADC7DB61CF.jpeg6F42DB46-A70F-4716-BB0E-CB4E7E08C728.jpegE407ED9F-347F-4A12-986F-128F17F86864.jpeg

Electric Dream

May 16, 2020
Devon
Looks like a very neat conversion, glad to be of assistance and hope your enjoying the new lease of life that this kit brings to cycling. I would also highly recommend Woosh bikes for their excellent customer service.

truongap

Just Joined
Jan 16, 2020
Various tidying jobs still to do though I'm delighted with it so far. Firmware has been changed a few times (firstly to enable 48V stock) though now running the excellent open source firmware modified for Vlcd5.
Can I have the link to open source firmware modified for Vlcd5?

Rusty Chain

Just Joined
Sep 4, 2020
Looks like a very neat conversion, glad to be of assistance and hope your enjoying the new lease of life that this kit brings to cycling. I would also highly recommend Woosh bikes for their excellent customer service.
Check with the supplier- the charger may come with the kit (or with the battery if you get that from somewhere else).
Good tip, the charger comes with the battery. Ordered the same as your setup. Hoping to convert an old OnOne Inbred I have to keep up with my uber fit nephew! I am sure I will be back with questions, will certianly be checking your great thread for guidance!