Too many criminals on our roads

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
That's true I guess.. probably primarily because we don't have to sit any test to cycle on the roads.. and many who have never driven a car are just completely ignorant to road safety and the Highway Code.

When I was a boy that safe cycling used to be actively encouraged and we had the cycle safety test done inconjunction with our schools (and at weekends for everyone, via local community centres) that would teach you the Highway Code with a proper instructor who taught you how to cycle properly on the roads..there was a test at the end and you got a little pass certificate. I've never forgot what I learned there and always follow it.
Ah the good old cycling proficency test (think ive still got my badge somewhere).

As for Highway code most drivers are pretty ignorant of it as well (99% of them have probably never even looked at it since passing test). For example was on a course with about 20 of us (all drivers various ages and experience) and we were asked a few question about road signs,rules of road etc. after doing this we were told we had without knowing it taken part of the driving license theory test. Have a guess how many passed it ?

One

Me and I only just scraped it by a single point. The majority there struggled to get more than 25% right.

To be honest it was scary to realise.

when was the last time YOU read it ?

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Ah the good old cycling proficency test (think ive still got my badge somewhere).

As for Highway code most drivers are pretty ignorant of it as well (99% of them have probably never even looked at it since passing test). For example was on a course with about 20 of us (all drivers various ages and experience) and we were asked a few question about road signs,rules of road etc. after doing this we were told we had without knowing it taken part of the driving license theory test. Have a guess how many passed it ?

One

Me and I only just scraped it by a single point. The majority there struggled to get more than 25% right.

To be honest it was scary to realise.

when was the last time YOU read it ?
Shocking. I wonder how the public would react if they brought in compulsory re-testing every 5-10 years or something for all motorists? Or maybe just for those over 40-60.

That would cost a lot of money I imagine and disruption and maybe it wouldn't reduce the amount of accidents on roads and fatalities, or maybe it would? What do people think? Good idea or bad?

Another thing to consider.. if we took a voluntary re-testing approach, that was linked to lower car insurance for those who consistently pass and/or score high on a test, that might encourage a lot to re-sit the test? That might actually lower insurance a lot for all drivers (except those who drive badly/are high risk of course) as insurance companies would be better able to assess and isolate risk.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Shocking. I wonder how the public would react if they brought in compulsory re-testing every 5-10 years or something for all motorists? Or maybe just for those over 40-60.

That would cost a lot of money I imagine and disruption and maybe it wouldn't reduce the amount of accidents on roads and fatalities, or maybe it would? What do people think? Good idea or bad?
With the roads full of unregistered, uninsured and untaxed vehicles being driven by unlicensed drivers, a high proportion of whom are either disqualified or unfit through drink or drugs, do you really think a re-test is going to make the slightest bit of difference? The only reason any government would introduce this would be if they could smell some money from re-testing revenue. Or lobbying from useless cretins who would want to, "facilitate" any training. They are not the slightest bit interested in anyone's safety, just massaging the statistics and blowing more pi$$ and wind in our general direction.

Look after your own safety and adopt a tactical defence approach to your cycling. You are on your own on the roads. Nobody cares about you.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Excellent advice Tillson, our safety is at all times our own responsibility, whatever we are doing.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He was wrong on at least two counts in his assessment. The program did clearly specify that the couriers were such and were indulging in illegal racing and it made no excuses for them. The program maker were right to include them since these crazy couriers are very much a common and daily part of central London cycling. Excluding them would have been wrong.

Yes, the use of "War" in the title was to attract a wide audience, but that is surely a very good thing, ideally every road user should have watched it.

I agree with the footnote comment about "co-operative space" though. My version has always been, " We should not fight for road space, we should share it.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I thought the lady who's daughter died was a real inspiration and found her account very moving in that she was able to channel her grief and anger into a positive response.

Regards

Jerry